Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Ground Staff BBQ near plane/under gate A7 tonight...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Ground Staff BBQ near plane/under gate A7 tonight...

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2010, 11:22 pm

This reminds me of my deceased older brother who was working at a gas station when he was in high school about 40 years ago. He was smoking cigarettes while filling up gas tanks.

I never shouted at him at when we were in high school, except that day when I said "do you want to cause an explosion?" He gave me a dumb laugh and avoided smoking while at the gas pumps after that. Unfortunately that smoking helped to contribute to a fatal brain hemmorhage 10 years ago at the age of 49.
Old Jul 27, 2010, 11:56 pm

Originally Posted by wbl-mn-flyer
In these days of 3-1-1 it is amazing that the ground crews have a HUGE bbq grill running right under a jetway at a major airport like ATL - Delta's HQ hub.

How did the grill get onto the airport? How long was the wood/charcoal coming up to temperature? How long was cooking taking place? Did nobody notice any of this?

Jet fuel. Cooking chickens with grease flare-ups. What part of this story doesn't fit?

PLEASE - use the TTU/whatever and notify Delta mgmt about this. Not for the skypoints. But to get some friggin sense beat into these morons who are way off the reservation.
Good idea, because there is NO FRIGGIN WAY that Delta didn't know this was going on. See rampers has this thing, they can some how get a grill onto the ramp, and the boys over the HQ have no clue about it.

Anyways, Delta lets stuff like this happen all the time, and most of the Delta Delta pays for it. Hell sometimes ever Anderson is out there with em.
Old Jul 28, 2010, 5:49 am

Programs: Now just a lowly DL PM/1MM. This industry needs some competition. It's just not enjoyable anymore.
Originally Posted by BobRoss
Ever had BBQ unicorn? I hear it's unbelievable!
I hear it tastes just like chicken.....

Is that a small bottle of lighter fluid under the jetway, or am I mistaken?
Old Jul 28, 2010, 9:06 am

Programs: DL PM, USLess air & HHoners
Originally Posted by Dawgfan6291
Good idea, because there is NO FRIGGIN WAY that Delta didn't know this was going on. See rampers has this thing, they can some how get a grill onto the ramp, and the boys over the HQ have no clue about it.

Anyways, Delta lets stuff like this happen all the time, and most of the Delta Delta pays for it. Hell sometimes ever Anderson is out there with em.
As it should be... I say good for Delta.... As long as they aren't breaking any safety rules, I think this kind of stuff it great... I'm sure that it builds team spirit and lets these guys know that their work is appreciated.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 8:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by rockandcorp
Maybe you should use a little common sense before you post. It clearly shows that you never worked at an airport or airline as this is very common practice nationwide....so no its not just ATL or DL! In this case your opinion really doesn't matter....so cook away!!
It is not appropriate to have employee functions in front of the customers. Period.

It doesn't matter if airport staff BBQ on the tarmac at every airport every day - it still shouldn't be done in front of the customers (unless, of course, you're inviting the customers).

I would, however, also say it's not appropriate to put a fire under anything your customers are going to walk through, regardless of how safe it REALLY is.

Again, I am not, in any way, objecting to the employees having a BBQ. I'm objecting to the poor judgment displayed when the location for the BBQ was chosen as under the jet bridge customers are going to walk though, in plain view of the customers. The tarmac is a big place. Having it there of all the places available was not bright.

Not to mention it's just generally bad manners to prepare/eat foot in front of people who can't have any of the food.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by raehl311
I would, however, also say it's not appropriate to put a fire under anything your customers are going to walk through, regardless of how safe it REALLY is.
You clearly have never deplaned in Edmonton Canada in February...
Old Jul 31, 2010, 2:39 am

Programs: DL DM MM (fmr NW Plat), BA GGL/CCR, Aegean Gold, WorldClubs Life, SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat, HHonors Dmnd
Originally Posted by RobertS975
It doesn't look like a propane grill... I wonder if they used a little Jet A to get the charcoal going?
Jet A has to be over 100 degrees F before it will even ignite... it's not exactly great starter fluid.
Old Jul 31, 2010, 6:06 am

Programs: DL-DM, PC-PM
Happened all the time while I was in. Of course we didn't have jetways!!
Old Jul 31, 2010, 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by pokeable
I'm glad the ground crew had time to organize this, manage the logistics of bringing in a kettle grill, cooler full of chicken, and a seat.

I wish the ground crews demonstrated the same dedication to help setup an empty gate when a plane arrives early and the planned gate is occupied by a plane with mechanical trouble.

Seriously, everyone on this board has been stuck 30-45 minutes on the tarmac at ATL because there isn't an available gate ready...no one has a problem with ground staff AT WORK grilling while passengers are stuck on planes?

I don't know what is worse; the location of where these yahoos are grilling, or that 3/4 of the posts on this thread condone this behavior.
There are several mgmt run bbq's a year. this is undoubtedly one of them. It's nice that you think that ground staff is allowed to take a plane and park it wherever they see fit, but there isn't exactly autonomy in the job, the plane is stuck because whoever the gate coord in operations is cant fix it, not the ground crew.
Old Aug 1, 2010, 12:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
I don't know what is worse; the location of where these yahoos are grilling, or that 3/4 of the posts on this thread condone this behavior.
I'm not in that 3/4th.
I don't condone it. I applaud it.
Old Aug 1, 2010, 1:09 am

Programs: DL AA UA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

Originally Posted by Gargoyle
I'm not in that 3/4th.
I don't condone it. I applaud it.
I affirm your affirmation, condone the condonation., and condemn the condemnation and think that everyone should relax about the relaxation station that led to the current situation.

Last edited by ADLFO; Aug 1, 2010 at 1:10 am
Old Aug 1, 2010, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Serious questions:

Would those guys be allowed to stand there after eating and smoke a cigarette?

If not, why not?
Old Aug 1, 2010, 12:15 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by toomanybooks
Serious questions:

Would those guys be allowed to stand there after eating and smoke a cigarette?

If not, why not?
I think the no smoking rule is not there to avoid jet fuel from igniting but rather because of all the anti-smoking/second hand smoke health rules.
Old Aug 1, 2010, 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by skylady
Have you never tailgated with a grill in the back of a truck? Gasoline is much more flammable than JetA.
i haven't been!
Old Aug 1, 2010, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by justhere
I think the no smoking rule is not there to avoid jet fuel from igniting but rather because of all the anti-smoking/second hand smoke health rules.
Or it's a holdover from the days when the planes used AvGas with enough lead to get the octane rating as high as 145.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.