FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Various spoke cities: double MQM + up to 50,000 bonus miles per round-trip (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1096718-various-spoke-cities-double-mqm-up-50-000-bonus-miles-per-round-trip.html)

sc flier Jun 18, 2010 8:46 am

I just noticed this at the end of all the fine print. If this is a promo reference number, I was surprised that they were the same number for all 4 cities.
"Please refer Delta customer service representative to 97060536."

Perhaps the "nonstop" reference is primarily meant to exclude flights that have a stop in the promo city but which continue on as the same flight number. A hypothetical example: If a flight from MSP to RDU were to continue on to ATL with the same flight number, then booking that flight as MSP-ATL would not get the bonus even though you would touch down in RDU.

18sas Jun 18, 2010 9:09 am

Originally Posted by SAT Lawyer (Post 14153897)
The "and terminating in" language seems to be superfluous in the context of a "round-trip." The BNA promotion mentions "round-trip" in its introductory language

"...and terminating in..." isn't superfluous at all. A round-trip flight in airline terms doesn't have to begin and end at the same point.

When I saw the "originating" language, I immediately had to wonder if I could one-way ATL-BNA, then book BNA-ATL-xxx-ATL.

jbatl Jun 18, 2010 9:20 am

Rock for MSY, MOB MIA, FLL, DFW, DAL ...

I registered for the four known cities, as I never know where my travel might take me and pretty much always buy one-way tickets. Sadly, on the confirmation screen, it makes it pretty clear that the flight must be R/T (originating from target city). A crafty promo, I suppose, but, as it's not technically targeted (anyone can register) would make our lives easier if DL would just send everyone an email listing the cities that qualify.

debbieb Jun 18, 2010 10:18 am

Originally Posted by ianturner (Post 14151805)
correct. only problem is that the mqms wont post until 2011...making them 2011 mqms.

I got it for PIT. I would like to get an answer on this part too. I thought if they were earned in 2010, they count for 2010 even if posted after. For example, if you take a flight on New Years Eve and it does not post until January, it still counts as 2010. It's a bummer if they don't count until 2011, I lost my medallion for 2010, hoping to get it back. I'm going to e-mail them, it would make a difference on my airline choices for some flights coming up.

SAT Lawyer Jun 18, 2010 11:23 am

Originally Posted by 18sas (Post 14155171)
"...and terminating in..." isn't superfluous at all. A round-trip flight in airline terms doesn't have to begin and end at the same point.

Yes, it does, to qualify as such. From the Delta Contract of Carriage:

Round Trip means any trip, the ultimate destination of which is the point of origin, and which is made via the same routing in both directions. Reservations for all segments of a trip for tickets issued at round-trip fares must be confirmed in the same (a single) passenger name record (PNR)
A trip which begins and ends in different cities is considered to be an "open-jaw":

Open-Jaw Trip means any trip which is essentially of a round-trip or circle-trip nature but the outward point of departure and the inward point of arrival or the outward point of arrival and inward point of departure of which are not the same.

When I saw the "originating" language, I immediately had to wonder if I could one-way ATL-BNA, then book BNA-ATL-xxx-ATL.
You could book two separate tickets: ATL-BNA, round-trip, and, BNA to wherever round-trip, nested within, and the latter round-trip would qualify for the bonus. Heck, if you had the time, money, and inclination, you could nest a bunch of BNA to wherever round-trips within your ATL-BNA round-trip, to maximize the BNA promotion.

jfulcher Jun 18, 2010 11:23 am

A big rock for hub flyers who pay on average 2-3x more per MQM than spoke flyers. Go Delta!

gator21 Jun 18, 2010 11:27 am

Originally Posted by upgrader (Post 14154764)
Double MQMs - Does this mean double instead of 1 1/2 if you are on an international business fare or does it mean three times (double the usual 1 1/2) the MQM? In the past for the same type of promotions it has meant the former not the latter. If the former, not so big a deal in terms of MQMs on international business fares. Still pretty big in terms of international coach fares, however.

I've been wondering the same thing. A RT RDU-SYD in I/D/J yields about 29,000 MQM. At double that, it becomes 58,000 MQM and then add the 50,000 skymiles bonus, it is a trip worth 108,000 skymiles.

Just might be worth it for a quick trip down under. Did a quick check and an I-fare shows about $6400.00

Winkdaddy Jun 18, 2010 11:40 am

SkyMiles promotions offer bonus miles for focus-city travel
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
June 17, 2010

Delta SkyMiles members flying from four focus-city airports can earn double elite qualification miles and bonus miles during a special promotion announced this week.

SkyMiles members living in Nashville, Pittsburgh, Raleigh-Durham and St. Louis can earn as many as 50,000 bonus miles and double Medallion Qualification Miles for Delta flights through the end of the year.

Registered SkyMiles members who purchase a round-trip international ticket will earn 50,000 bonus miles for BusinessElite travel and 25,000 bonus miles for economy travel. Additionally, members will earn 10,000 bonus miles on domestic round-trip travel to non-hub markets and 5,000 bonus miles when flying to hubs in Atlanta, Cincinnati, Detroit, Memphis, Minneapolis/St. Paul, New York-JFK, and Salt Lake City.

“This summer, travelers in these four cities have the opportunity to earn a multitude of miles toward award travel, upgrades, lounge access, car rentals, hotel stays, merchandise and more,” said Jeff Robertson, v.p.-SkyMiles. “Plus, these members also will be on the fast track to earn SkyMiles Medallion status and enjoy its many benefits.”

SkyMiles members who earn at least 25,000 MQMs within a calendar year qualify for Medallion status, which offers complimentary first class upgrades, rollover MQMs, priority boarding and seat choice, mileage bonuses, fee waivers, discounted Delta Sky Club membership and other exclusive benefits.

With this promotion, members may earn bonus miles and double MQMs for multiple trips booked and completed within the qualification period. More information and complete terms and conditions are available on delta.com.

This SkyMiles promotion supports the Flight Plan goal to capture focus-city benefits and realize revenue synergies of $500 million this year.

cheesewiz Jun 18, 2010 11:57 am

Originally Posted by upgrader (Post 14154764)
Double MQMs - Does this mean double instead of 1 1/2 if you are on an international business fare or does it mean three times (double the usual 1 1/2) the MQM? In the past for the same type of promotions it has meant the former not the latter. If the former, not so big a deal in terms of MQMs on international business fares. Still pretty big in terms of international coach fares, however.

I just called SMS, and they stated that it's double what you earn. So if you are in business you would earn 2x the 1.5.

chicagorich Jun 18, 2010 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by Winkdaddy (Post 14155992)
SkyMiles promotions offer bonus miles for focus-city travel
Dela SkyMiles members flying from four focus-city airports can earn double elite qualification miles and bonus miles during a special promotion announced this week.

SkyMiles members living in Nashville, Pittsburgh, Raleigh-Durham and St. Louis can earn as many as 50,000 bonus miles and double Medallion Qualification Miles for Delta flights through the end of the year.

I didn't realize that PIT was a focus city for DL, or any of the others for that matter.

PaulMSN Jun 18, 2010 12:02 pm

Are we certain yet that non-area fliers will receive these bonuses if registered, even though they never received an email about it? I'm tempted to drive down to STL and fly to someplace far away.

Helena Handbaskets Jun 18, 2010 12:11 pm

Several who received no email have registered and reported that the promotion does not show up in "my promotions" on delta.com. Can we have someone who did receive the email and registered tell us whether it shows up under your promotions on delta.com?

Air Brian Jun 18, 2010 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by bwhite (Post 14154248)
I too wonder why they chose these cities. RDU is elite heavy enough and the only legs where I have missed UG's on 3 of 52 flights this year have been ATL-RDU or RDU-ATL. I missed the UG on a B fare purchased a month out in May.

Great. Next year I'll be competing with even more DMs now.

I just stepped off a SW flight from Tampa and whilst lining up to board noticed 6 bags with DL tags, 4 Diamonds (not including me) and 2 Plats.

This is clearly a targeted attempt to 1, gain back lost market share and 2, counter the impact of the increased cost of award redemptions by classic inflation. I have between 8-10 trips to South Africa / Dubai that are unbooked for the remainder of 2010. By my math, from those flights alone I could generate about 967,500 skymiles since they will all be in J class... Not to mention the MQM's. Certainly a generous offer which basically revalues skymiles in a different way for those of us who live in the selected cities...

xanthuos Jun 18, 2010 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by Helena Handbaskets (Post 14156186)
Several who received no email have registered and reported that the promotion does not show up in "my promotions" on delta.com. Can we have someone who did receive the email and registered tell us whether it shows up under your promotions on delta.com?

I received the e-mail for BNA and registered, as well as registering for the other three cities. None of them show up in My Promotions on Delta.com. The only one that currently does is the Shuttle promotion.

Winkdaddy Jun 18, 2010 12:16 pm

My friend booked booked RDU-ATL-PRG, BUD-ATL-RDU 2 weeks ago...and then signed up for the promo this morning....any chance he will still get the bonus?