Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Volcano is back-flights to DUB cancelled

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Volcano is back-flights to DUB cancelled

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2010, 1:40 am

Programs: Delta Ham Sammich, SPG, Hertz #1 Gold, Chalet Suites Matterhorn
Are you serious ? The wife and I are in Florence now, supposed head back to the US on Thursday.

On the other hand, she wants to stay a few more days without paying exorbitant change fees for a new flight...

I'm so conflicted...
Old May 4, 2010, 3:07 am

I was flying OKC-AMS-MSP-NUE starting yesterday. My flight to AMS still flew, but we were delayed about an hour in order to file a new flightplan that took us over France and kept us out of the closed airspaces. The divert cost us another hour, so a 2 hour delay total thanks to the Vulcano. But compared to the first round I will take those two hours .

I missed my connection though (but that is a whole other story), so now I have 6 lovely hours in Amsterdam.
Old May 4, 2010, 3:14 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles Diamond Medallion
My wife was on JFK-AMS last night and there was about an hour delay for traffic/weather and then another hour for refuel after flight plan was changed due to ash cloud.
Old May 4, 2010, 3:28 am

Programs: DL - Diamond Medallion - 2 Million Miler; Marriott Gold Elite, Radisson GOLD. ParknGo loves me
Originally Posted by okcphoto
I was flying OKC-AMS-MSP-NUE starting yesterday. My flight to AMS still flew, but we were delayed about an hour in order to file a new flightplan that took us over France and kept us out of the closed airspaces. The divert cost us another hour, so a 2 hour delay total thanks to the Vulcano. But compared to the first round I will take those two hours .

I missed my connection though (but that is a whole other story), so now I have 6 lovely hours in Amsterdam.
That's just enough time to take the train downtown for some sightseeing.
Old May 4, 2010, 3:35 am

Originally Posted by brad9696
That's just enough time to take the train downtown for some sightseeing.
And Brownies ^
Old May 4, 2010, 5:53 am

switzerland in july

so I guess it would be best to book hotels only with refundable rates. I'm afraid that by using orbitz or other sites for better prices I will lose a lot of money should the cloud return in July ! Wow, not even travelling for 2 1/2 months, and the cloud is already costing me $$!
Old May 4, 2010, 8:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Airports have reopened but they are expecting occasional airport closings throughout the summer depending on the level of the eruption and the direction of the winds so do stay flexible. You don't want to get stuck paying for several hundreds/thousands of euros in non-refundable hotel nights and be either unable to get there or to your next destination. Once you are a few days out and know things are safe for that day, you can always cancel the refundable one and book a lower rate if you can find one.
Old May 4, 2010, 9:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
New plume closes airports in Scotland and Northern Ireland for tomorrow. England will be affected on Thursday...not looking good.

Following the latest updated forecast from the UK Met Office, the CAA can confirm that some airspace over Scotland and Northern Ireland will be closed from 07:00 local time today.

This will mean that from 07:00 until 13:00 local time we expect the following airports to be closed:

Scotland
Glasgow
Prestwick
Inverness
Stornoway
Benbecula
Tiree
Islay
Barra
Campbeltown

Northern Ireland
Derry

Between 13:00 and 19:00 local time we expect the following airports to be closed:

Scotland
Glasgow
Prestwick
Stornoway
Benbecula
Tiree
Islay
Barra
Campbeltown

Northern Ireland
Belfast International
Belfast City
Derry

Current forecasts show that the 60 nautical mile buffer zone imposed around high concentrations of ash may be close to the following airports:
Edinburgh
Carlisle
Blackpool
Liverpool
Manchester

However, based on current forecasts CAA has assessed that these airports can safely remain open, but passengers should check with their airline before travelling to the airport, as the situation is dynamic:

The CAA will provide an update to the situation and the list of airports tomorrow morning when further Met Office forecasts are available.

The situation remains changeable, so passengers expecting to travel tomorrow from airports in Scotland, Northern Ireland, the north of England and North Wales should contact their airlines to check whether their flight is operating.

Based on current forecasts, the CAA does not expect airports in the South East of England to be affected tomorrow.
Old May 4, 2010, 10:04 pm

Programs: DL - Diamond Medallion - 2 Million Miler; Marriott Gold Elite, Radisson GOLD. ParknGo loves me
link

Link for above post for updates

http://www.caa.co.uk/application.asp...etail&nid=1873

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.