Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

First time on a "NW" flight - what's with the cart in First Class?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2010, 9:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM/MM, HH Diamond

I'm a DL FF and haven't had the opportunity to fly a non DL aircraft or crew. I was upgraded from ATL to LAS and quickly discovered I was on a NW 757 with NW FAs. Things were fairy normal until we were airborne and the cart appeared. Not a good experience. I honestly didn't care to see the FA pull foil off of food items and prepare the meal tray. Very coach like.

The cart just added to a generally poor service experience for the flight. Other comments:

1. No bottles of water when I boarded. In fact, if you wanted water, it had to come from a larger bottle and be poured into a cup (like in coach). Later in the flight, I asked our FA for a bottle of water and he replied there weren't any.

2. The FA wore a union button on his vest. First time I've seen that.

3. I was the last person to be upgraded (I'm a DM and was #2 out of 2 when we boarded - started at #1 out of 7 when I checked in 4hrs before the flight - another case of mysterious disappearing seats), so I got seat 1D. Usually, a window seat in the first row on a DL 757 is death but in this plane, it
was very roomy, in fact, I think I would pick the first row if I knew I was going to be on this AC.

4. The meal was terrible. I had to think - it was probably the worst first class meal I've ever had. Since we originated out of ATL, I don't consider
this a NW vs. DL issue but to be asked "chicken or pasta" from the "cart" and the best thing on the tray was the dessert is very sad.

5. After the meal service, our flight attendant disappeared. My wine class sat empty until I got out of my seat and walked up front and asked for a
refill. This has never happened before. Towards the end of the flight, the cart reappeared. I guess there is a scheduled time for drinks - just like
coach.

6. After we landed, I was surprised how quickly we were exiting out of the middle boarding door. That was because the FA was blocking all coach passengers from exiting. Another new experience. While I appreciated exiting the plane 1 min sooner, I'm not sure this was really necessary. I know if I was sitting back in coach, I wouldn't like it.

I would have thought by now, cabin service would have been normalized across all flights. When the day comes, I hope the first class cart disappears.
Old May 4, 2010, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...-june-1-a.html
Old May 4, 2010, 9:09 am

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Just some notes...

Originally Posted by kerbo
1. No bottles of water when I boarded. In fact, if you wanted water, it had to come from a larger bottle and be poured into a cup (like in coach). Later in the flight, I asked our FA for a bottle of water and he replied there weren't any.

This would be a DL issue...Especially since you were departing out of ATL. No bottles of water=ATL catering screw up.

Not really sure what this has to do with anything...

3. I was the last person to be upgraded (I'm a DM and was #2 out of 2 when we boarded - started at #1 out of 7 when I checked in 4hrs before the flight - another case of mysterious disappearing seats), so I got seat 1D. Usually, a window seat in the first row on a DL 757 is death but in this plane, it
was very roomy, in fact, I think I would pick the first row if I knew I was going to be on this AC.

The NW 757s generally have cutouts in the bulkheads, making the bulkhead seats some of the best in the fleet. No people reclining into you, and it feels very private. They're also great for taller people (I'm 6'4") since the end of the cutout is the right distance to stretch out fully, but still rest your feet against it.

4. The meal was terrible. I had to think - it was probably the worst first class meal I've ever had. Since we originated out of ATL, I don't consider
this a NW vs. DL issue but to be asked "chicken or pasta" from the "cart" and the best thing on the tray was the dessert is very sad.

My experience with DL meal service has been completely hit and miss. Even for the same meal. Sometimes its very good (bordering on restaurant quality) and other times its not good at all (bordering on inedible).

5. After the meal service, our flight attendant disappeared. My wine class sat empty until I got out of my seat and walked up front and asked for a
refill. This has never happened before. Towards the end of the flight, the cart reappeared. I guess there is a scheduled time for drinks - just like
coach.

Sadly, this is likely an artifact of the NW days. There were certainly some FAs (but definitely not all) who did the absolute minimum, as required by the book. I would write an e-mail to DL, describing this along with detailed flight information (but leave all of the other stuff out).

6. After we landed, I was surprised how quickly we were exiting out of the middle boarding door. That was because the FA was blocking all coach passengers from exiting. Another new experience. While I appreciated exiting the plane 1 min sooner, I'm not sure this was really necessary. I know if I was sitting back in coach, I wouldn't like it.

Again, an artifact from NW. This was generally how it was done, though I've seen it both ways on both airlines. It's nice to give F a chance to get out, instead of being stonewalled by eager Y pax who have been cooped up in a 753 for hours . Personally, I agree with you that I don't necessarily need Y held back (I'm bigger than they are ).

I would have thought by now, cabin service would have been normalized across all flights. When the day comes, I hope the first class cart disappears.

Personally the cart doesn't really bother me too much, but it seems there are some DL flyers who think that it's a big deal. As far as I'm concerned, they should implement the method that is easiest for the FAs, and most efficient for the passengers.
Old May 4, 2010, 3:27 pm

Programs: Mile-High Club, Marriott Plt, SPG P-75, PC Plt, Hyatt Dia, Carlson Gold, BW Dia
Welcome to FT, kerbo!

You must be new here, since you clearly aren't familiar with the dead horse known as "serving from the cart in F."
Old May 4, 2010, 3:36 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/1.2MM, UA Premier gold/1MM, Choice diamond, Marriott gold
Use of the first class cart is a nonissue - who cares? As long as one receives their drinks and meals promptly, so what? As for the FAs, my experience with NW was just the opposite - they were always great in my considerable experience flying NW in FC over the years. In fact, until the last year or two I found that NW FAs were in general more attentive than DL's. You clearly just got a not so good FA which is unfortunate. Classifying this as a NW issue is totally false.
Old May 4, 2010, 3:47 pm

Programs: Walmart Super Elite
Originally Posted by Kwaj boy
Use of the first class cart is a nonissue - who cares? As long as one receives their drinks and meals promptly, so what?
I completely agree. Using the cart in the aisle is no big deal to me and speeds up service. I'm not expecting the French Laundry and I don't mind making the FA's job a bit easier (although I certainly hope they don't disappear).
Old May 4, 2010, 3:57 pm

Sounds like a catering issue. I've had bottled water ex-MSP for some time.

I've only seen it once before. It was last year on DL flight by a DL FA.

I've been on the other side of that one. Booked NW metal, got DL metal because of a change. My knees were almost touching the bulkhead.

Catering is definitely harmonized post merger. If it was really bad might be worth a email.

coach.
It's not the PMNW service standard. I've had it happen on both. I've had a couple NW flights where my glass was never empty and I was glad I had a ride home from the airport.

I don't think holding Y back was an actual PMNW service standard for domestic, but it definitely was for international. I thought it was a nice touch.

Carts will continue in F until DL harmonizes the service. I think it's already happened internationally and will happen in domestic soon. FAs are not to switch service standards until they have been instructed to.
Old May 4, 2010, 3:57 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by Kwaj boy
Use of the first class cart is a nonissue - who cares? As long as one receives their drinks and meals promptly, so what?
Totally my thoughts too. I'll take a cart every day in F if the choice was that or a functional online booking engine, especially for award travel.

If the F experience was so much like Y for kerbo, I would gladly change my Y exit row seat with his F seat anytime!

Seems like a chronic complainer in any case.:

3. I was the last person to be upgraded (I'm a DM and was #2 out of 2 when we boarded - started at #1 out of 7 when I checked in 4hrs before the flight - another case of mysterious disappearing seats), so I got seat 1D. Usually, a window seat in the first row on a DL 757 is death but in this plane, it was very roomy, in fact, I think I would pick the first row if I knew I was going to be on this AC.
Actually I would take a window seat in the first row of a DL757 vs a coach seat anytime day or night. Wanna trade next time?

5. After the meal service, our flight attendant disappeared. My wine class sat empty until I got out of my seat and walked up front and asked for a refill. This has never happened before. Towards the end of the flight, the cart reappeared. I guess there is a scheduled time for drinks - just like coach.
I was in a coach seat MSP-ANC and literally could not count on one hand how many times the FA's came through the cabin with water several times or other beverages once or twice. Maybe you shoulda stayed in coach?

And if they didn't let you off first, you would have complained about that!

I personally find it a nice gesture, but since I usually book 14A or 16A depending on the aircraft, I am usually off before F if they exit from door 2L.
Old May 4, 2010, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Wow, it was a bad dream afterall....first Bob Ewing wasn't really shot now NWA didn't go away....I'm sure the award calendar was just a nightmare too...happy days are here again

1) as noted many many times before....the DL's flight crews are performing the service as they've been directed to, union FA's have been instructed by DL management to use the cart, non-union FA's have been instructed not to - this will be changing shortly

2) if the plane wasn't catered properly I'd suggest using TTU

3) if you don't like DL's planes I'd suggest using TTU

4) if you dont like anything about DL fine but please dont blame it on an airline (NWA) that hasn't been in control of anything for years now and hasn't existed for a few months now (when did Ed and his bean counters take over again? 24 +/- months ago as Pres of NWA?)

Last edited by socrates; May 4, 2010 at 8:26 pm
Old May 4, 2010, 5:35 pm

AFA pins are a mandatory uniform requirement for NW flight attendants (since all are AFA members).
Old May 4, 2010, 7:00 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Silver
The horror of it all !
Old May 4, 2010, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by N522US
AFA pins are a mandatory uniform requirement for NW flight attendants (since all are AFA members).
minor correction since there are no NW FA's these days....the AFA pins are a mandatory requirement for DL's Union FA's
Old May 4, 2010, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by socrates
minor correction since there are no NW FA's these days....the AFA pins are a mandatory requirement for DL's Union FA's
So I guess this is the way to differentiate the PMNW FAs from the PMDL FAs.
Old May 4, 2010, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
Originally Posted by socrates
I don't believe it's mandatory - I believe AFA is encouraging their members to wear them, but it is by no means mandatory. I've been on several flights with PMNW flight attendants that were not wearing their AFA pins.
Old May 4, 2010, 9:45 pm

Programs: Delta 360/DM/3MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by mersk862
I don't believe it's mandatory - I believe AFA is encouraging their members to wear them, but it is by no means mandatory. I've been on several flights with PMNW flight attendants that were not wearing their AFA pins.
2 of my 3 PMNW FA's yesterday weren't wearing the pins. 1 of them was actually the best FA I've had in years, if not ever. Very interesting coincidence...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.