Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Gate Lice are coming... the GATE LICE are coming

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Gate Lice are coming... the GATE LICE are coming

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2012, 5:22 pm

Programs: DL, National, Marriott, Hilton
Originally Posted by eturowski
BOS the morning of the day before Thanksgiving - it's a Kettle campground!

What gate(s) was that by? It looks like that was by 13 and 14 (possibly the worst place to stand by when two flights going out of those two gates are boarding at/near the same time)
Old Nov 27, 2012, 5:35 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hertz Gold Plus, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by N639DL
What gate(s) was that by? It looks like that was by 13 and 14 (possibly the worst place to stand by when two flights going out of those two gates are boarding at/near the same time)
Hmmm... I can't remember for sure, I think it was A9-ish. I know it wasn't A13, because I had to walk alllll the way back from the satellite terminal after I left the SC to get to my gate.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 9:57 am

Programs: DL, National, Marriott, Hilton
Originally Posted by eturowski
Hmmm... I can't remember for sure, I think it was A9-ish. I know it wasn't A13, because I had to walk alllll the way back from the satellite terminal after I left the SC to get to my gate.
I see. That must've been by where all the regional flights go out of which I believe is A9-A12
Old Nov 30, 2012, 5:13 pm

Programs: Delta KM/PM/MM, Nexus, CLEAR, Sharriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
palpable?

Originally Posted by captaink
The footsteps behind me were palpable, though...
If you are drunk and footsteps are palpable, you have fallen down and are being trampled. Enjoy the massage while it lasts, then get up and board.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 10:30 am

Programs: DL 2.8 MM/PM, AA MM/GLD, Marriott LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by stils
I'm flying Sunday night out of PBI... I'm guessing it's going to be Lice City, USA
At PBI, the lice tend to be the elites hovering around the Sky Priority lane. Diamond lice!

Monday morning after the Thanksgiving weekend, full complement of gate lice blocking the way when First Class boarding was called. As I tried to make my way through to board, one gentleman was standing directly in front of the lane, but not moving, so I asked "are you boarding.." His reply"no, but I WILL be."
Another gentleman blocking the lane from the side..I asked "are you boarding"...he looked at me pointedly and said "they're boarding First Class now". Er, yes and actually I am on a paid First Class ticket which is why I am trying to board now....Saw him at disembarkation and he was seated in EC.

Then a man and his wife who was decked out with lots of Louis Vuitton pushed past me to board with our FC zone...then took their seats in EC (wife did NOT look happy.)

The Kettles were all comfortably seated in the gate area...

Last edited by pbjag; Dec 5, 2012 at 10:36 am
Old Dec 5, 2012, 10:35 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by pbjag
At PBI, the lice tend to be the elites hovering around the Sky Priority lane. Diamond lice!

Monday morning after the Thanksgiving weekend, full complement of gate lice blocking the way when First Class boarding was called. As I tried to make my way through to board, one gentleman was standing directly in front of the lane, but not moving, so I asked "are you boarding.." His reply"no, but I WILL be."
Another gentleman blocking the lane from the side..I asked "are you boarding"...he looked at me pointedly and said "they're boarding First Class now". Er, yes and actually I am on a paid First Class ticket which is why I am trying to board now....Saw him at disembarkation and he was seated in EC.

Then a man and his wife who was decked out with lots of Louis Vuitton pushed past me to board with our FC zone...then took their seats in EC (wife did NOT look happy.)

The Kettles were all comfortable seated in the gate area...
I agree - it is the Medallion lice that is so much worse than other gate lice. Medallion lice come with a sense of entitlement and disregard for everyone else.

Last edited by TTT; Dec 5, 2012 at 5:48 pm
Old Dec 5, 2012, 11:23 am

Programs: DL MM Gold
Reasons why non-PREM Medallions clog the SP carpet area:

1) If THEY didn't get the upgrade, then by gum the folks who DID are gonna pay their dues and be inconvenienced.

2) PREM and Elite+ are equivalent anyway, and the GA should board both at the same time, just like the check-in agents do out front.

3) Nobody PAYS for FC in their minds - everybody up front is on an upgrade or non-revs, so by being first on the carpet, they aren't inconveniencing anybody of worth.

4) It reminds them of camping out in Lane "A" in their old WN days to snag that precious exit row.

5) If they sneak on before a true FC passenger, they can steal Dasanis if the FA doesn't see 'em do it.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by TheRoadie
3) Nobody PAYS for FC in their minds...
That type of thinking is idiotic...
Old Dec 5, 2012, 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by DelrayChris
Originally Posted by TheRoadie
3) Nobody PAYS for FC in their minds...
That type of thinking is idiotic...
He is mocking it
Old Dec 16, 2012, 10:59 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
A few of my favorites from the past year...

SLC..

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/membe...ture4760-a.jpg

LAS

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/membe...ture4759-a.jpg

MCO

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/membe...ture4753-a.jpg

Oh and this one from MCO...

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/membe...-sit-louse.jpg

Last edited by Crazyhotelguy; Dec 16, 2012 at 11:06 am
Old Dec 17, 2012, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
I didn't get a photo, but at SFO last night, waiting for the redeye flight to JFK, the entire boarding area (including the Sky Priority carpet) was covered with gate lice. Interesting thing, the gate lice on that carpet were all in Business class (none turned right after boarding).

Part of the issue at SFO might be due to the Sky Club being pre-Security Theater, requiring people to spend more time in the gate area.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by sethb
I didn't get a photo, but at SFO last night...
Part of the issue at SFO might be due to the Sky Club being pre-Security Theater, requiring people to spend more time in the gate area.
Also the Delta gates at SFO tend to be crowded...not enough seating in general and the jetway door locations are really awkward!
Old Dec 17, 2012, 10:11 pm

Programs: DM, KM,
I sat next to an infrequent flyer just before boarding at SEA a couple of days ago. She asks, "why are all of those people crowding around the gate?". I gave her the simple explanation and told her about the perforative term--"gate lice". She still couldn't understand why so many people would want to push and shove to get on a plane. "I wait til the last second, she said, why would anyone need to want to get on earlier?". She only carried a handbag. And, as it turns out, she was sitting in F-first time, big boss thought it the way to go! Good for her
Old Dec 17, 2012, 10:49 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum/1MM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Miniflyer
She only carried a handbag. And, as it turns out, she was sitting in F-first time, big boss thought it the way to go! Good for her
If I'm sitting in F, I'm boarding ASAP because I fear the upgrade being rescinded if I linger around too much.

If I'm sitting in Y with my backpack (to go under the seat), I'm one of the last to board just in case any F seats become open and the GA has the you-board-you-lose-the-upgrade rule.

If I'm in sitting Y and need the bin space, then I'll board depending on how I look on the remaining upgrade list.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 6:11 am

Registered on this forum just to post this image. Not sure if this is a DYKWIA worthy post but...

This guy, who had a Platinum tag on his roller, waited for 45 minutes in the sky priority lane, before the plane had even arrived at the gate. Then other idiots started to line up after him!

This was for a regional CRJ-200 flight out of Detroit on December 13th.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.