Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Gate Lice are coming... the GATE LICE are coming

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Gate Lice are coming... the GATE LICE are coming

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2011, 7:52 am
Suspended

Hate This

Originally Posted by WBurcham
Last night at MCO I observed the most United type of event I've ever seen on DL. It was ~ 20 minutes before boarding was set to start and there was this guy:

(sorry for the poor quality wanted to protect the innocent kettles in the gate area)
I am a really loyal DL guy, a DM. I do not ..... much about DL but this is the one issue that I cannot stand: GAs that do not ensure that people in Zone 13 board when that zone is called. Drives me nuts.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 8:53 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott G, Hilton G
Originally Posted by SpinzCity
You know, they do this in Europe MUCH better. At Amsterdam, or any European airport, EVERYBODY pretends that they have absolutely no interest in being first in line or even slightly interested in boarding at the best time. It would be a sign of depravity to be SEEN as positioning yourself in a place that would show a predisposition to boarding before anybody else. So the wide arc around the scanner is particularly wide there. When boarding is announced, people move particularly nonchalantly (but, if you were to chart the movements using a flow analysis device - - determinedly and efficiently) toward the scanner, but without ANYbody looking particularly pressing, or even interested in having a boarding advantage.
Things are very different in Europe because they don't own a great deal of clothing. That is why their carry-on's are so small and why they only use one of them per person per trip. It's kind of sad IMHO.

Last edited by avflyer; Nov 28, 2011 at 9:06 am
Old Nov 28, 2011, 9:05 am

Programs: Diamond Hilton, Titanium Marriott, Delta DM, President Circle Herz, NIGHTS IN OWN BED 2022 28
Rent a Cane program better come with a hefty deposit, becuase those canes will get left alot. Like the guy on my plane that tried to walk off the plane without his only to have the FA try to chase him down to give it back
Old Nov 28, 2011, 9:08 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott G, Hilton G
Originally Posted by Diamondkellen
Rent a Cane program better come with a hefty deposit, becuase those canes will get left alot. Like the guy on my plane that tried to walk off the plane without his only to have the FA try to chase him down to give it back
I use a folding cane so that I can store it once on the jetway. They are much more practical.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 9:49 am

Programs: DL
Do the Rent-a-canes come in Kryptonium Green by chance?
Old Nov 28, 2011, 1:23 pm

Programs: DL - KM DM, DL 1.57 MM, UA - 1P, AA - EXP HH - Diamond, PC - Platinum, SPG - Gold, Hertz 5*
You know, they do this in Europe MUCH better. At Amsterdam, or any European airport, EVERYBODY pretends that they have absolutely no interest in being first in line or even slightly interested in boarding at the best time. It would be a sign of depravity to be SEEN as positioning yourself in a place that would show a predisposition to boarding before anybody else. So the wide arc around the scanner is particularly wide there. When boarding is announced, people move particularly nonchalantly (but, if you were to chart the movements using a flow analysis device - - determinedly and efficiently) toward the scanner, but without ANYbody looking particularly pressing, or even interested in having a boarding advantage.

You must be flying different places in Europe than I am. There are always folks lining up front by the door everywhere I go. Once they go through the boarding pass scan into the holding area, many go straight to the door and stand.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 1:25 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by DaChief
You must be flying different places in Europe than I am. There are always folks lining up front by the door everywhere I go. Once they go through the boarding pass scan into the holding area, many go straight to the door and stand.
Same here, especially in France, where people will run you over without apology to get a good place in line.

Point is, people generally don't know how to line up and be courteous. Only place I've seen people queue properly is in Japan.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 1:47 pm

Programs: FB Plat & DL KM, Le Club Plat, GHA Plat, HHonors Diamond
ROFL, though I do not think that that is a correct description of what usually happens in Ams.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 6:17 pm

Programs: AA, SPG GLD, DL FO, VX, UA, US, ICH, Hyatt, Avis Pref.
Originally Posted by stencil
Same here, especially in France, where people will run you over without apology to get a good place in line.

Point is, people generally don't know how to line up and be courteous. Only place I've seen people queue properly is in Japan.
As someone who has just done LAX-CDG-LAX on AF, I agree with your statement. To make it worse, the terrible third-world boarding areas of LAX T2, make the gate lice problem worse.

At CDG people were lined up all the way down the terminal. On the 777-300 in J there is plenty of overhead space for everyone. There's really no reason to rush on board even PDBs are not handed out until the door is shut.

Thankfully, my experience with queues at EZE make even AFs queues seem like an orderly exercise.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 6:40 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
I forgot about this thread! Here's one at JFK a few months ago, ~20 minutes before boarding. I don't think upgrades were even processed by then (LAX flight).

Old Jan 30, 2012, 1:12 pm

Programs: DL PM
I was flying AMS-ATL last Friday. Security is at the gate, so SP only gets you to the scanner quicker.
At boarding, they attempted to make the call for passengers with special needs to pre-board, but this was apparently taken as an invitation for anyone who darn well pleases to make a mad dash for it. Never even heard a boarding call for BE or SP.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 11:35 am

Programs: Diamond Hilton, Titanium Marriott, Delta DM, President Circle Herz, NIGHTS IN OWN BED 2022 28
Saw the newest version of Gate lice this morning. The those needing extra time or with children. A lady with her 12 year old and her 15 year walk up to the gate and Board first. Maybe Delta should get one of thoese yard sticks like at amusement parks, If your kid is taller then this you don't need to board earlier.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 1:34 pm

Programs: DL Plat, DL AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by MOBFlyer
I was flying AMS-ATL last Friday. Security is at the gate, so SP only gets you to the scanner quicker.
At boarding, they attempted to make the call for passengers with special needs to pre-board, but this was apparently taken as an invitation for anyone who darn well pleases to make a mad dash for it. Never even heard a boarding call for BE or SP.
Had that too flying AMS-JFK on KL metal (777-200) early January: security is at the gate, as Skyteam Elite I could take the elite line to the scanners, saving myself a long wait.

Once in the gate area at some point the gate doors were opened and then there was a mad dash of all passengers to board. No announcements, no preboarding J, special assistance or elite passengers first. Very disorderly.

But somehow it worked as 10 minutes before departure time everyone had taken their seats and we left on time...
Old Feb 23, 2012, 1:27 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/1.2MM, UA Premier gold/1MM, Choice diamond, Marriott gold
Okay maybe this isn't technically called "gate lice", but can anyone explain to me why at every gate I've ever seen (Delta as well as others), 10 minutes before boarding at least 30 people feel the need to stand up and move out right into the center of the concourse to wait to board. This includes FC pax, kettles, medallions, etc. This, of course, causes people trying to walk by to their gates to have to fight their way through the crowd just to walk by. I try to stand near the SP lane but out of the main concourse walkway. There's plenty of room there out of the main walkway...why clog up the entire concourse?
Old Feb 23, 2012, 2:57 pm

Programs: (PM)AA SPG (Marriott), Hilton
Originally Posted by Kwaj boy
... but can anyone explain to me why at every gate I've ever seen (Delta as well as others), 10 minutes before boarding at least 30 people feel the need to stand up and move out right into the center of the concourse to wait to board.
1) Monkey See, Monkey do. People line up behind other people.
2) Those who want to get on the plane first.
a) Almost everyone wants overhead bin space.
b) Some want extra time to wrap up work, or have a PDB.
3) Seats in the boarding area can be used up. This doesn't mean 100% utilization, but enough seats could be used that standing is preferred to using what's left.

Of course, I maybe wrong here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.