Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Gate Lice are coming... the GATE LICE are coming

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Gate Lice are coming... the GATE LICE are coming

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2010, 2:47 pm

Programs: Delta Plat
Yesterday on Delta 1808 there was a family hoging the breezeway line.

First the husband asked to upgrde, she told him he couldn't as their fairs were not the upgradeble.

So he, his wife and two little kids stood in the breezeway line.

When they called Zone one and tried to board. They looked at his boarding pass and said. Sir you are in Zone 4 we are just boarding Zone 1. He turns around looks at me and says they aren't boarding us yet gotta wait for the rich people to board.

I told him I was rich and handed the GA my boarding pass and went onto the plane.
Old Mar 13, 2010, 2:51 pm

Programs: AA/US PlatPro & 1.05MM, DL Plat (challenge), UA dirt
Originally Posted by HWGeeks
Yesterday on Delta 1808 there was a family hoging the breezeway line.

First the husband asked to upgrde, she told him he couldn't as their fairs were not the upgradeble.

So he, his wife and two little kids stood in the breezeway line.

When they called Zone one and tried to board. They looked at his boarding pass and said. Sir you are in Zone 4 we are just boarding Zone 1. He turns around looks at me and says they aren't boarding us yet gotta wait for the rich people to board.

I told him I was rich and handed the GA my boarding pass and went onto the plane.
and was his response one-of-a-kind?
Old Mar 13, 2010, 5:09 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Here's the solution -

DL should get some of those pop-up tunnels, like kids have, but larger. Right before the flight starts, they can pop the tunnel up, with one end at the scanner and the other end somewhere in the gate area. Delta Royalty will be allowed to enter the plane through the Royal Tunnel Entrance. (Can you hear the horns chiming "Da-dadada" as they walk? ) This will allow the Royalty to avoid contact with the cake-eating "gate lice" who should probably be asked to bow to those walking through the tunnel.

Once the Royalty has safely made it to the Jetway, the tunnel would be collapsed and stored, and the "gate lice" that has been waiting can board without losing their status as "first" or having to worry about their being no OH space. (Because we all know that the OH space can run out before Zone 3 boards. )

If the tunnel idea seems unworkable, perhaps DL could hire four burly men to carry a Litter. (Like Cleopatra rode.) Those who feel the need to make the "gate lice" know who's important could meet in the middle of the hallway, board the Litter and be carried to the scanner.

Seriously, I don't understand why people need to crowd around the scanner fifteen minutes before the flight, and I don't like having to navigate through them as I try to board with Zone 1 so that I can get my bag into the OH and so that I don't have to stand in the long line later, but the tone that a few people have (only a few) in this thread is more about making sure everyone in the gate area knows how imporant you are rather than issues about easily boarding the plane.

Oh, wait, better idea...replace the carpet on the Breezeway with grates. Right before Zone 1 is called, turn on fire hoses and wash the "gate lice" away.

Last edited by CJKatl; Mar 13, 2010 at 5:17 pm
Old Mar 13, 2010, 5:31 pm

Programs: DL NWA UA
As I read these posts, I wonder if the 'gate lice' phenom happens more at airports where it just seems like the number of seats at the gate is fewer than the number of seats on the plane.

I don't feel too rushed/packed at DTW but I always feel packed at ATL (which I hate btw just for that reason).

Some airports just seem more open and spacious and you don't get that crowding effect.
Old Mar 13, 2010, 6:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
Pepe... you misunderstand. Threads like this provide a service.

It gives those whose ego needs a boost the opportunity to use terms like "gate lice" and "Ma and Pa Kettle" and, thus, briefly feel superior to 99.999% of the general population (did I provide enough 9's?).

Yes, this is a free forum... thus it provides the freedom to post in poor taste.

As to the photos, no one in a public setting has the right to absolute privacy.

However, in my value system, everyone has the right to expect that their photo will be not be taken without their permission, to be posted in the internet, and used to support a lame and sophomoric attempt at "humor."
Why do you think the faces weren't obscured. Having a tough day, are you?

Originally Posted by CJKatl
Here's the solution -

DL should get some of those pop-up tunnels, like kids have, but larger. Right before the flight starts, they can pop the tunnel up, with one end at the scanner and the other end somewhere in the gate area. Delta Royalty will be allowed to enter the plane through the Royal Tunnel Entrance. (Can you hear the horns chiming "Da-dadada" as they walk? ) This will allow the Royalty to avoid contact with the cake-eating "gate lice" who should probably be asked to bow to those walking through the tunnel.

Once the Royalty has safely made it to the Jetway, the tunnel would be collapsed and stored, and the "gate lice" that has been waiting can board without losing their status as "first" or having to worry about their being no OH space. (Because we all know that the OH space can run out before Zone 3 boards. )

If the tunnel idea seems unworkable, perhaps DL could hire four burly men to carry a Litter. (Like Cleopatra rode.) Those who feel the need to make the "gate lice" know who's important could meet in the middle of the hallway, board the Litter and be carried to the scanner.

Seriously, I don't understand why people need to crowd around the scanner fifteen minutes before the flight, and I don't like having to navigate through them as I try to board with Zone 1 so that I can get my bag into the OH and so that I don't have to stand in the long line later, but the tone that a few people have (only a few) in this thread is more about making sure everyone in the gate area knows how imporant you are rather than issues about easily boarding the plane.

Oh, wait, better idea...replace the carpet on the Breezeway with grates. Right before Zone 1 is called, turn on fire hoses and wash the "gate lice" away.
Best post/ideas in a while.

Originally Posted by FL2009
As I read these posts, I wonder if the 'gate lice' phenom happens more at airports where it just seems like the number of seats at the gate is fewer than the number of seats on the plane.

I don't feel too rushed/packed at DTW but I always feel packed at ATL (which I hate btw just for that reason).

Some airports just seem more open and spacious and you don't get that crowding effect.
It seems to happen anywhere, unfortunately. This is a common issue on some airlines, most especially at United.
Old Mar 13, 2010, 7:46 pm

Programs: DL PM/KM, AC *G, AS MVP-100K
Or this one, with the possible substitution of a trap door....

(A mad rush for the bridge. Robin arrives first. The knights cluster behind. A few sniff and wrinkle their noses, and the group backs off.)

Bridgekeeper: STOP!
He who would cross the Bridge to Jet
Must answer me
These questions three
Ere the other side he see.

Robin: (excitedly) Ask me your questions, Bridgekeeper, I am not afraid.

Bridgekeeper: What...is your name?

Robin: DYKWIA? Sir Robin of Camelot.

Bridgekeeper: What...is your quest?

Robin: I seek the Grail: Overhead storage for overstuffed carryons!

Bridgekeeper: What...is your Boarding Zone?

Robin: (indignant) I don't know THAT!! (An unseen force whisks him up
and over the side.) AAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGHHH!!!!!!!
Old Mar 13, 2010, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by WBurcham
Why do you think the faces weren't obscured. Having a tough day, are you?
Nope.

Having a great day.

So great, in fact, that I wasn't even the least bit tempted to head out to the airport to photograph strangers and belittle them on the internet.

I amused myself in more productive, and less supercilious, ways.

The question is "What sort of day were you having when you decided to flip out on a superiority trip?"
Old Mar 13, 2010, 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Results of today's Lice patrol in SFO. The way it ought to be and this is a full fifteen minutes prior to boarding.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old Mar 14, 2010, 12:21 pm

Programs: DL Million Miler, Skymiles GM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite

Maybe this is the much anticipated future DM benefit package slated to roll out later this summer. Alas, it will only work for a few days - the unwashed masses will eventually learn to congregate at the entrance of the tunnel, thus negating the beauty of the solution.
Old Mar 14, 2010, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
Originally Posted by avidflyer
Results of today's Lice patrol in SFO. The way it ought to be and this is a full fifteen minutes prior to boarding.

[IMG][/IMG]
Ah...the way it should be.

From what I've heard from a few people today, LGA has been home to much gate lice with the weather today.
Old Mar 14, 2010, 2:08 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM/UA G MM/DL MM DM 2015/BA Silver/Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by FL2009

I do a lot of the JFK - West Coast routes and when they use 28 or 29 in T2, it is a mess. I prefer bulkhead and I prefer to carryon a roller and a backpack - and I do sometimes take on a louse approach. Then again, I am DM and I am one of the two or so out of the 16 up front who actually paid to sit there. Can't imagine having to get check because someone in 29E decided that the space above 1D was more convenient.

Recently, with the new priority bags, I have found that checking on the return works just fine and eliminates the OH advantage of earlier boarding. Bypassing the unwashed by using the Breezeway after the Medallions are done gets a few looks and still means waiting in the jetway, but has its adavntages This is analogous to the elite line at TSA at T2 - the looks you get are sometimes quite humorous. I do like to have a couple of minutes to settle in and get a drink before the door closes so waiting to the last minute is not something I do.

As for the other posts, I am not a big fan of gate lice in Zone 2 and higher queuing early (or the POed Y seated PM who didn't get upgraded on his $300 ticket). I have no problem with FC passengers hanging around the breezeway if they want - they are not going to get in anyone's way.
Old Mar 14, 2010, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by avidflyer
And BY THE WAY.....For all those who think this thread is a waste of space I would point to the fact that we have crossed 10,000 views in just 4 days...so there.
Refreshingly entertaining. Quite a contrast to the usually confrontational climate in this forum. We can all agree^
Old Mar 14, 2010, 4:09 pm

Programs: MR Lifetime Titanium, United Silver
Originally Posted by SkyBuck
Or this one, with the possible substitution of a trap door....

(A mad rush for the bridge. Robin arrives first. The knights cluster behind. A few sniff and wrinkle their noses, and the group backs off.)

Bridgekeeper: STOP!
He who would cross the Bridge to Jet
Must answer me
These questions three
Ere the other side he see.

Robin: (excitedly) Ask me your questions, Bridgekeeper, I am not afraid.

Bridgekeeper: What...is your name?

Robin: DYKWIA? Sir Robin of Camelot.

Bridgekeeper: What...is your quest?

Robin: I seek the Grail: Overhead storage for overstuffed carryons!

Bridgekeeper: What...is your Boarding Zone?

Robin: (indignant) I don't know THAT!! (An unseen force whisks him up
and over the side.) AAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGHHH!!!!!!!
LMAO! Loved it...and then they can show the film on the plane to train the lackeys!!
Old Mar 14, 2010, 4:32 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
While I do like the tunnel idea.

At MCO, DL could take a page from the Disney playbook. They could draw circles with numbers on the floor representing seat numbers... Those with status could have separste roped off areas like a fast pass lane.

They could even have a pre show film to show everyone how and when to board.. And how to store their mickey ears-i mean carry ons

It works for Soarn
Old Mar 14, 2010, 6:12 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by jeff30189
Maybe this is the much anticipated future DM benefit package slated to roll out later this summer. Alas, it will only work for a few days - the unwashed masses will eventually learn to congregate at the entrance of the tunnel, thus negating the beauty of the solution.
Oh, but Jeff, the beauty of this plan is the GA can put the end of the tunnel anywhere and someplace different each time. No matter where the congregation congregates, the end of the tunnel won't wind up there.

Same with the litter. The pick-up point can be selected moments before boarding commences.

I'm still leaning towards the firehoses, though I might start flying with my own tunnel and see if the GAs will let me use it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.