FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   The Gate Lice are coming... the GATE LICE are coming (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1060667-gate-lice-coming-gate-lice-coming.html)

fgirard Mar 10, 2010 9:25 am

Originally Posted by avidflyer (Post 13548628)
Well to be fair this is a light hearted topic and one that gives us a break from the usual back and fourth about other more emotional subjects.

Re: The comment about being "a louse, but a respectful louse" I would say then you are indeed NOT a louse. Part of the natural behaviour of the North American Gate Louse/Lice is to be completely rude and just get in the way even though said louse is not boarding first. If you do the "Gate hover dance™" then you are, by definition, at best a cousin of the NA Gate Louse and not a true gate louse. I think we have all done the Gate hover dance™ but as long as you are respectful and NOT right in front of the door it is fully excusable.

It should be noted however, that Gate Lice frequently do more harm to themselves by standing for a half hour or more "in position". This leads to foot and back issues and ultimately gets them on first by way of wheelchair in as little as 5 years of this behaviour.

I will be at LAX (a prime natural habitat of the North American Gate Louse) later today for a flight and if I catch a swarm of NA Gate Lice I will be posting a picture (blurred to protect the innocent of course) tomorrow am.

It is all in good fun...

Oh noes...there are different varieties of the "common gate louse?" :p

WBurcham Mar 10, 2010 9:28 am

Originally Posted by avidflyer (Post 13548864)
Thanks for sharing Jeff. The first step is to admit you have a problem and you have done that. Let's give Jeff a round of applause (sound of applause)

+1

fgirard Mar 10, 2010 9:32 am

Originally Posted by WBurcham (Post 13548887)
+1

+1 also ^^

It took me a while to realize the error of my ways, but when I did (several years ago), I changed my state-of-mind so that I could correct the poor behavior

pdac1975 Mar 10, 2010 9:32 am

I hate sitting to wait for boarding to start and generally like to pace so what I do is turn it into a game loosely based on America's Cup sailing (except that the jetway door is the starting line and I'm not a boat). Here's how it works:

When flying out of DCA, when there are a couple minutes until boarding, I walk past the door (still closed) and do a lap around the concourse which only takes about a minute. If the door is still closed when I get to it I proceed onto the next lap and keep doing so until the door opens. The rule is, if immediately after I pass the door it opens, I MUST continue on my lap and board when I get back to the gate. Sometimes it works out perfectly and as I'm rounding the last turn, they are opening the door and I just walk right on to the plane passing by most of the gate lice in the process.

This game may not be for everyone but it beats pacing with no purpose.

fgirard Mar 10, 2010 9:38 am

Originally Posted by pdac1975 (Post 13548928)
I hate sitting to wait for boarding to start and generally like to pace so what I do is turn it into a game loosely based on America's Cup sailing (except that the jetway door is the starting line and I'm not a boat). Here's how it works:

When flying out of DCA, when there are a couple minutes until boarding, I walk past the door (still closed) and do a lap around the concourse which only takes about a minute. If the door is still closed when I get to it I proceed onto the next lap and keep doing so until the door opens. The rule is, if immediately after I pass the door it opens, I MUST continue on my lap and board when I get back to the gate. Sometimes it works out perfectly and as I'm rounding the last turn, they are opening the door and I just walk right on to the plane passing by most of the gate lice in the process.

This game may not be for everyone but it beats pacing with no purpose.

If I have a 90 minute layover or so in ATL or DTW, I'll go to a different concourse and wander around... By the time, I return to my gate, they will have started boarding... But, I do agree that wandering around is a good distraction from sitting and waiting sometimes (if I do not have work to do)...

CJKatl Mar 10, 2010 9:58 am

Originally Posted by jeff30189 (Post 13548800)
I just like to get onboard and get settled (I usually have a non-bulkhead window seat) to avoid the riff-raff. You know the types:
  • the guy who spends 5 minutes trying to put his overstuffed rollaboard in the overhead along with his briefcase and coat.
  • the guy who has to arrange his crackberry, cell phone, magazines, paperback, special pillow, bag of snacks and Starbucks all in his little 2x2 seat area....

Off topic, but here's something that I always thought would work...

Why doesn't DL hand out plastic bags at the gate, like the grocery bags, and instruct everyone to put what they will need for the flight into the bag? That would speed up boarding considerably.

I already do this with my computer bag, which means I walk on the plane, find my seat, put my roll-aboard in the overhead and sit down with my case that is going to slide under the seat in front of me. As people are walking by, out comes the newspaper, electronics and a pen, then the bag goes under the seat. Minimal blocking.

Yesterday, I watched someone open her suitcase and fish around for something while three-quarters of the passengers, still trying to board, snaked down the aisle and into the jetway. She seemed unaware of her role in slowing everything down. (Yes, she had the half-moon neck pillow, but everyone already knew that.) At one point she was even holding underwear in one hand while she fished around with the other.

pdac1975 Mar 10, 2010 10:03 am

Originally Posted by CJKatl (Post 13549144)
[/LIST]

Yesterday, I watched someone open her suitcase and fish around for something while three-quarters of the passengers, still trying to board, snaked down the aisle and into the jetway. She seemed unaware of her role in slowing everything down. (Yes, she had the half-moon neck pillow, but everyone already knew that.) At one point she was even holding underwear in one hand while she fished around with the other.

Yeah this drives me crazy. I have my book and itouch in my hand (or pocket) when I board. When I get to my seat, the Roll-aboard goes in the overhead, the laptop bag goes under the seat and I sit down. It's REALLY not that complicated.

Exleftseat Mar 10, 2010 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by pdac1975 (Post 13549191)
Yeah this drives me crazy. I have my book and itouch in my hand (or pocket) when I board. When I get to my seat, the Roll-aboard goes in the overhead, the laptop bag goes under the seat and I sit down. It's REALLY not that complicated.

Please pass it on to your compatriots. That's not how it works in the real world. Unfortunately.

mersk862 Mar 10, 2010 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by pdac1975 (Post 13549191)

Indeed - what's in the overhead bin stays there for the flight - everything I need for the flight is in my briefcase.

WBurcham Mar 10, 2010 10:55 pm

Originally Posted by mersk862 (Post 13553354)
Indeed - what's in the overhead bin stays there for the flight - everything I need for the flight is in my briefcase.

I have a small gym shoe bag that has my magazines & headphones. Put the roll aboard & backpack in the overhead (in F) and bring the small bag with me.

fgirard Mar 10, 2010 10:58 pm

Originally Posted by WBurcham (Post 13553736)
I have a small gym shoe bag that has my magazines & headphones. Put the roll aboard & backpack in the overhead (in F) and bring the small bag with me.

What's funny is that there is such a squabble over carryon luggage, even though (this has happened at PVD), if the aircraft is overweight, they'll pull checked luggage and hold it for another flight....

Crazyhotelguy Mar 10, 2010 11:14 pm

Both bags in the overhead bin???? FOR SHAME..........

And then a third bag???? You naughty boy.... :) :)

fgirard Mar 10, 2010 11:21 pm

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8330/4.5.0.175 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy

At least DL won't start charging for extra carryon...

...Did I just give them an idea...

WBurcham Mar 10, 2010 11:44 pm

Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy (Post 13553797)

It's for speed & efficiency. I'm able to get everything stowed w/o having to open or move a thing. Granted, when it's full, I will put my backpack at my feet. However, I usually am either one of the first or one of the last to board so that is of course a determinant.

mnredfox Mar 11, 2010 12:09 am

Originally Posted by avidflyer (Post 13548864)
Thanks for sharing Jeff. The first step is to admit you have a problem and you have done that. Let's give Jeff a round of applause (sound of applause)

Keep in mind applause can only come from the others who too are in the room for being a recovering louse.

Originally Posted by mersk862 (Post 13553354)

Not complicated if you follow the rules with one bag up, one bag down. But when you have an oversized bag, a backpack, a pillow, a cup of joe, 3 shopping bags, two books, headphones on, your guitar, and other random crap more than the 1+1 it slows you (and the rest of the cattle) down.