Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Gate Lice are coming... the GATE LICE are coming

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Gate Lice are coming... the GATE LICE are coming

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2017, 10:45 pm

Programs: DL 4MM; DM
My wish is DL would extend the roping further than 5 ft. I am sick and tired of the special snowflakes who are too good to join what is obviously an actual line waiting to board. Instead they try to bull their way in. Especially when it comes to "Premium" boarding--which is anything but that. I have become very proficient at my blocking technique . But I do wish that was not something I needed to do . AA actually has it on this count.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 5:38 am

Programs: HH-Diamond, Delta-Diamond
I board premium for every flight and I have yet seen an obvious actual line. Especially with Sky Zone blocking most of the entrance.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 6:07 pm

Programs: DL, AA
Originally Posted by beachmouse
Combine bad PA systems that garble pretty much everything a GA tries to say, a preference to shove all planes to adjacent gates in the name of reducing labor costs, and the resulting 767's worth of passengers crammed into a space originally designed to seat the passenger count of a CRJ 700, and gate louse is a perfectly rational action when there's no place to sit within 100 feet of the departure area and you're trying then to stand some place you can hear your flight being called.

EXACTLY! ^^^
Old Jan 30, 2017, 7:27 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by beachmouse
Combine bad PA systems that garble pretty much everything a GA tries to say, a preference to shove all planes to adjacent gates in the name of reducing labor costs, and the resulting 767's worth of passengers crammed into a space originally designed to seat the passenger count of a CRJ 700, and gate louse is a perfectly rational action when there's no place to sit within 100 feet of the departure area and you're trying then to stand some place you can hear your flight being called.
No, not really. Gate lice stand RIGHT IN FRONT OF THE BOARDING AREA. Just because seating is inadequate doesn't require that you stand right in front of the boarding lanes, oblivious to the people behind you trying to get past. You can easily stand off to the side. Why not at the windows?

Some psychology graduate student could make a career out of figuring out this behavior. I've noticed that once a few people start to gather, it draws more. What makes people herd together like that? I much prefer to stay seated until it's my time.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 8:00 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by hotturnip
No, not really. Gate lice stand RIGHT IN FRONT OF THE BOARDING AREA. Just because seating is inadequate doesn't require that you stand right in front of the boarding lanes, oblivious to the people behind you trying to get past. You can easily stand off to the side. Why not at the windows?
Off to the side puts you smack in the middle of the 'open concept' Hudson News shopping area, which has even less space to wait amid the piles of mediocre merchandise.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 7:27 am

Programs: DL DM, DL AMEX Reserve
I saw some new-ish looking signs for Premium, Sky, Zones 1 - 2 off to the side of a gate at ATL.

Is this coming?
Old Jan 31, 2017, 9:43 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, DL, KE Skypass
When I was transiting through JFK (T2) a few weeks ago, I was quite surprised that the GA was very clear with specifying who should be approaching at what time:

"If you have a boarding pass with PREM -- spelled P-R-E-M -- you are now allowed to board. I repeat..."

And people actually listened to him. However....you did have some SP folks loitering around, and I almost expected them to pounce, but they didn't. I almost applauded them for their restraint. LOL

Last edited by mjchick; Feb 1, 2017 at 12:02 am
Old Feb 1, 2017, 5:56 am

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Plat-ist, Bonvoyyyyyyed, Hilton $15 Daily F&B Receiver, Food Lion MVP
Yes, maim, S-K-Y is exactly the same as P-R-E-M. Please, go right ahead and force yourself into the line, you'll get there faster.

Ugghhhh, if only GAs would enforce...
Old Feb 1, 2017, 6:16 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by PirateJeff
I saw some new-ish looking signs for Premium, Sky, Zones 1 - 2 off to the side of a gate at ATL.

Is this coming?
For years, there have been signs/monitors for queuing boarding lines in some low numbered gates in the B Concourse. The GAs and passengers seem to like them, and they recently expanded to a few more gates, but the concept has not yet expanded to the entire airport or other airports. Did you see the signs in Concourse B or elsewhere? If Concourse B, you saw nothing new. If elsewhere, that may be a promising sign.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 9:36 am

Programs: DL DM 1MM, HH Gold, Marriott LT Plat
This thread is cracking me up. There is nothing sweeter than seeing someone get booted by the GA for trying to board too early.

So if you are Diamond/Premium and stand in the SP boarding line prior to boarding, are you also considered a "Gate Louse"? (Provided you are not blocking wheelchair access, elderly etc.) Admittedly I have not read all 111 pages of this thread for a verdict on that.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 10:37 am

Programs: DL,BA,KE
The boarding announcements are consistent and clear now, which is good. And people are listening because when they call Prem, 90% of the crowd blocking the aisles still just stands there. For recent flights I've been on, it's been particularly bad in FNT and ATL where there is a wall 2 deep of medallions waiting to board with SKY it seems.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 12:31 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by Rossp1
So if you are Diamond/Premium and stand in the SP boarding line prior to boarding, are you also considered a "Gate Louse"?
These are among the most egregious gate lice. These are the ones who should know better, but block the path out for the arriving plane's passengers. These are the ones who are going to board early enough to have overhead space and not have to wait in a long line, but have a pathological need to be first. Maybe if someone is in a bulkhead seat this behavior might make sense, but otherwise, people should leave the path wide open and oly approach when their zones are called.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 12:42 pm

Programs: DL DM 1MM, HH Gold, Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by CJKatl
These are among the most egregious gate lice. These are the ones who should know better, but block the path out for the arriving plane's passengers. These are the ones who are going to board early enough to have overhead space and not have to wait in a long line, but have a pathological need to be first. Maybe if someone is in a bulkhead seat this behavior might make sense, but otherwise, people should leave the path wide open and oly approach when their zones are called.
I should have included the passengers deplaning in my first post. Yes, obviously blocking the path for those passengers is ridiculous and rude. But assuming they are not in the way of anyone getting off the plane, I dont see the issue with a Diamond or Premium doing this. The fact is that they are going to board first anyway and would much rather not fight through 4 walls of people to board when they call Premium.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 4:00 pm

Programs: DL PM & NRSA, AA Gold, ANA Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, National EC Exec, GE, CLEAR
Originally Posted by Rossp1
I should have included the passengers deplaning in my first post. Yes, obviously blocking the path for those passengers is ridiculous and rude. But assuming they are not in the way of anyone getting off the plane, I dont see the issue with a Diamond or Premium doing this. The fact is that they are going to board first anyway and would much rather not fight through 4 walls of people to board when they call Premium.
Actually, no they wont board first as there's actually three groups prior to them annoying enough..

-Unaccompanied Minors
-Families w/ Infants and Strollers/Carseats
-Medical & Wheel chairs

So, yes you're getting in the way of some people. But its still stupid that they board prior to F (with the exception of UMs, totally understandable)

So, yes it's annoying, also I find it kinda funny, you're going to have all the bin space you want and be on soon enough. Sit and relax
Old Feb 2, 2017, 8:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
Originally Posted by TheLifeOfA_NKCM
Actually, no they wont board first as there's actually three groups prior to them annoying enough..

-Unaccompanied Minors
-Families w/ Infants and Strollers/Carseats
-Medical & Wheel chairs
Do what WN does

1. wheelchairs/medical
2. A boarding group
3. Family with infants strollers etc.
4. B boarding group
5. etc.....

WN enforces the hell out of this too, I have watched families told wait until after A boarding we will announce it, it is actually quite nice.

I see the need for wheelchairs/medical to board first, but families should in NO way be in the same boat. Also WN says its the infant and ONE family member ONLY, not 19 people traveling with them they have to wait and board in their group.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.