Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

But is anyone at DL HQ really listening?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

But is anyone at DL HQ really listening?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2010, 5:58 pm

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
Originally Posted by SDF_Traveler
I personally don't care what system they chose to use or where the CIO came from -- the fact is delta.com is bug ridden and can be a major headache.
I tend to agree, people keep wanting to get caught up in the whys and hows. Overall I do not care. I want to give you money and get from A to B. If you can do it better then the competition great if not so be it. Sort of like the union on AA trying to get people to pick sides if they go on strike, honestly I do not care one way or the other I just want to get somewhere.
Old Feb 24, 2010, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by mersk862
Indeed.

Deltamatic might be a step back from PARS for frontline agents. Deltamatic however ties right into the Delta Nervous System, which is the entire IT component at Delta. If you think things are bad with Deltamatic right now, then I can tell you it would be a lot worse with PARS.

Delta had two choices really:
(a) Go with PARS for reservations. This would not have played well with the DNS and would require a lot of time and money to tie it into the DNS. It would likely make the US Airways/America West integration of SABRE into SHARES look tame by comparison.
(b) Dump PARS, go with Deltamatic. Yes, you lose some of the nice functionality that PARS had over Deltamatic. And yes, if you're strictly comparing res system to res system, PARS is superior. In the context of a much larger picture though, Deltamatic was better off.

As it stands, Delta is looking at replacing its entire res system within the next decade. Either way you slice it, PARS/Deltamatic were very old legacy systems dating back to my parents' childhood. There's finally been some traction on getting a new airline res system going this decade. Delta is looking at moving to that - and if you're the BoD looking at spending a ton of money to move to said system - is it better to short-term keep the inferior system, or spend a ton of money (and create even more headaches) by moving to PARS, only to dump that within the next 10 years?
They said that 10 years ago. Don't hold your breath.
Old Feb 24, 2010, 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by redtailshark
I know what you're saying. But I think you'd believe differently if you had seen the 07 OnePass event and the dialog that CO's chief executives performed in front of over 400 CO OPE.

Larry and Jeff performed a skit, using a series of observations about OnePass that had been harvested almost verbatim from FT over the previous year. I'm sure Scott had prepared these for the presentation. "Jeff, I want to know why we, the Elite customers, can't u/g to BF using within 24 hours of departure if inventory control believes that BF seats will remain unsold?" "Larry, hmmm, well, you're right. We've changed our policy regarding day of departure u/g protocols..." etc.

The effect was amazing.

Yes, we're listening. Seriously. No, we can't grant all requests, but we've given them all serious consideration. And in the cases we can't grant the rq, we'll explain why not without patronizing the elite customer base.

I know from talking with many other OPE at the event that this was very effective and impressive demonstration of how CO's management keep open channels of communication with their elite members. The nonaligned folks I talked with were also impressed with this.
The exact same thing happened at the DL DO back in June. This is why some of us "loyalists" continue to provide a sense that they UNDERSTAND THE ISSUES AND ARE WORKING ON THEM. But, since you weren't there (as I wasn't at the CO 07 DO) you will have to trust me & the others that were there.

It's such nonsense for DL, by comparison, to follow the COI argument and pretend that any improvement in SM conditions automatically results in hundreds of millions of $ of lost revenue. They're imprisoned by their own limited logics and unwilling to work with customers to find paths to improve SM that don't necessarily cost vast amounts of lost revenue, or which might even enhance net revenue. That leads to this customer-unfriendly stance and factual inversion of the :-: best in class :-: SM program.

The SM stance is illogical, ridiculous, unnecessary and uncompetitive. We don't need to believe that it has to be this way, because some of us have seen with our own eyes how it can, and is, being done differently.
Of course your offbase hyperbole is being displayed as usual.
Old Feb 24, 2010, 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by hazelrah
No, that was her inheritance, and being a smart woman I'm sure the woeful state of Delta IT upon her inheritance is documented.
Wait... so she made the decision to stick (as it ultimately had to be her decision) and then, wait, not her fault? Am I missing some logic or do you just rant without a purpose?

Originally Posted by hazelrah
It's not only the FF program, it's Delta IT as well.

And listening is one thing, there ought to be accountability too by Delta management. The board ought to look into whichever Delta executive made the decision to stick with Deltamatic versus transition to the Northwest IT and that person ought to be fired.

Last edited by WBurcham; Feb 24, 2010 at 6:24 pm
Old Feb 24, 2010, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
Originally Posted by MikeMpls
They said that 10 years ago. Don't hold your breath.
I'm thinking (and from what I've heard), it would be a certain AAirline that would be leading the charge on this new system and the others (incl. DL) would pay to use the system.

Of course, who knows what that AAirline's finances might look like in the next 5-10 years (let alone this year with the labor unrest over there...)
Old Feb 24, 2010, 6:48 pm

Programs: WN A-list, Hyatt Glob, HH DM, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by raehl311
Now, I don't like the new DL at all, but...

Why would they want to maximize travel instead of revenue per flight?

"WIN" for the airline isn't most PAX, it's most profit. Flying the most people doesn't do you any good if you don't make money doing so.
If you read a basic economics textbook you will find out that maximizing profit per flight is never the best strategy. Maximizing total profit is, and that is why you need to increase capacity and the number of flights (as long as the price is greater than the cost per flight). This is even more true in the airline industry, where there are economies of scale - that is, the cost per flight decreases as you supply more flights on the market. That is why, cutting capacity is not a good strategy in the long run.
Old Feb 24, 2010, 8:39 pm

Programs: DL Gold Hilton Gold
I know what you're saying. But I think you'd believe differently if you had seen the 07 OnePass event and the dialog that CO's chief executives performed in front of over 400 CO OPE....The effect was amazing.
^ I was there too - shark is absolutely right.
Old Feb 24, 2010, 8:55 pm
Suspended

Location: Tucson, AZ, USA. UA 1K, reluctant but * best in class * DL FO/MM. Former BA jumpseat rider and scourge of Dilbertian management and apologists. As LX might - and do - say: "....an experienced frequent flyer of international airlines"
Originally Posted by WBurcham
The exact same thing happened at the DL DO back in June. This is why some of us "loyalists" continue to provide a sense that they UNDERSTAND THE ISSUES AND ARE WORKING ON THEM. But, since you weren't there (as I wasn't at the CO 07 DO) you will have to trust me & the others that were there.
I wasn't at DL this summer, no.

But let's bear in mind that CO were not facing the same depth of problems - their online booking tools and upgrade procedures were not causing the revolt that DL's systems are causing for the SMM.

And, CO acted specifically on a number of issues raised at previous DOs - the DoD BF ug scenario was a biggie for OPE. And since the 07 event, they've added SWUs to the program - something that was raised by many at that event as an area where OP wasn't competitive. In short, they delivered.

DL is showing, at best, hesitation, to implement meaningful reform despite the utterly dire condition of DL.COM.

Originally Posted by WBurcham
[Of course your offbase hyperbole is being displayed as usual.
Hey WBurcham, dude, drink a latte. You're grouchy today. What happened? Gator rose up out of the FL swamp and bit your foot as you walked past? Denied a rightful upgrade out of MLB by the "NRSA" today and don't want to confess on the shenanigans thread?
Old Feb 24, 2010, 9:02 pm

Hey WBurcham, dude, drink a latte. You're grouchy today. What happened? Gator rose up out of the FL swamp and bit your foot as you walked past? Denied a rightful upgrade out of MLB by the "NRSA" today and don't want to confess on the shenanigans thread?
Today, nothing's up. Still batting 100% over 2 years on upgrades and this weekend cleared as well
Old Feb 25, 2010, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MikeMpls
If you're upset with the "negative tone and demeanor of the conversation", you need to address the source of that negativity -- Delta Air Lines management. I doubt that very many are inclined to stifle their disappointment just to hear happy thoughts from a few Delta employees.

The frustration expressed in here is the culmination of the latest blunder coupled with frustration (over a period of years for some people) with Jeff's hit & run style of posting and past deceptions. Only Delta managment can address this, and it appears the frustrations are now bubbling up outside of FlyerTalk as well.

If the folks at Delta HQ don't listen, in time they will pay a big penalty. It took three years for the sLUT debacle to play out, culminating in the reversal of all the unpopular changes and the departures of Leo Mullin & Rob Borden. We've only just begun.
+1

Originally Posted by DLBeno
So, in the end, I have met some very interesting and good DL customers through FT and I continue to help them in any way that I can because I know that they know that I am doing my job the best I can.
DLBENO, thanks for your response. Don't take the negativity towards the front line employees. It definitely is aimed at mgmt and the decisions regarding the SM program (for me at least). I've been super impressed with many of the front line employees (DL and NW) and wherever you go, someone will always complain about a banana being stolen regardless of airline.

For me, DL should be listenting (management) and I am certain they are. They can't possibly be that numb. It's their lack of response to some blatant issues (eg award stuff) that surprises and shocks me. The question should be, "will they ever respond?"
Old Feb 26, 2010, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by mnredfox
DLBENO, thanks for your response. Don't take the negativity towards the front line employees. It definitely is aimed at mgmt and the decisions regarding the SM program (for me at least). I've been super impressed with many of the front line employees (DL and NW) and wherever you go, someone will always complain about a banana being stolen regardless of airline.

For me, DL should be listenting (management) and I am certain they are. They can't possibly be that numb. It's their lack of response to some blatant issues (eg award stuff) that surprises and shocks me. The question should be, "will they ever respond?"
Depends on the station but for most front like locations I absolutely agree (ATL has it's good days and bad....ORF seems to have more bad days than good but then their station manager has been in and out of the hospital since he was appointed 2 years ago so no wonder it's in the shape it's in...PHF is contract but not much better...ORD the NW staff was never any good to start with but mgt in CHI was always top notch and the list could go on and on)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.