Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

But is anyone at DL HQ really listening?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

But is anyone at DL HQ really listening?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2010, 1:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by DLBeno
When you think about it, the FT Greek chorus is a very, very, very small percentage of the total Medallion customer base--maybe less than .01% Does DL really think that .01% is indicative statistically of the whole? Probably not.
Statistics are a funny thing. You are correct in saying that 5% of a population (or whatever relatively small number you wish to use) does not necessarily constitute a significant portion... However, if 80% of that 5% are generally unhappy and threatening to leave (and the 5% you're sampling happen to be some of your MOST frequent flyers), you'd better make sure that this ratio is not echoed throughout the rest of the population. I don't see DL doing that. I generally see them taking a "everything is fine" approach, and going about business as usual with the assumption that the small buzz they hear on Flyertalk is just an annoying sound. Yes, in this case a large fraction of that buzz may be coming from former NW elites... I just can't imagine that DL would have no interest in winning them over.
Old Feb 24, 2010, 2:43 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
Originally Posted by GBadger
Statistics are a funny thing. You are correct in saying that 5% of a population (or whatever relatively small number you wish to use) does not necessarily constitute a significant portion... However, if 80% of that 5% are generally unhappy and threatening to leave (and the 5% you're sampling happen to be some of your MOST frequent flyers), you'd better make sure that this ratio is not echoed throughout the rest of the population. I don't see DL doing that. I generally see them taking a "everything is fine" approach, and going about business as usual with the assumption that the small buzz they hear on Flyertalk is just an annoying sound. Yes, in this case a large fraction of that buzz may be coming from former NW elites... I just can't imagine that DL would have no interest in winning them over.
The fact is this... every company, whatever its business, needs to be proactive on internet BBs that discuss its products and operations. When an internet post can be read by hundreds of thousands of people, and lives on the internet forever (unless the moderators are guilty of premature evacuation ) the company (DL) needs to have a cadre of official spokespeople on a board such as this!
Old Feb 24, 2010, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by hazelrah
It's not only the FF program, it's Delta IT as well.

And listening is one thing, there ought to be accountability too by Delta management. The board ought to look into whichever Delta executive made the decision to stick with Deltamatic versus transition to the Northwest IT and that person ought to be fired.

Take at look @ the CIO who came over from NW if you want a head to roll...

but wait, how could she have chosen such a terrible system? Oh, that's right, it was more robust & scalable for the enterprise needs.
Old Feb 24, 2010, 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by WBurcham

but wait, how could she have chosen such a terrible system? Oh, that's right, it was more robust & scalable for the enterprise needs.
I think it's fairly inaccurate and very presumptious to assume she choose to keep Deltamatic. Nor do I think neither you, (nor I) have any idea on whether or not the system is robust and scalable for the needs of the business versus PARS.

What I think most people can agree on though, is that it has SIGNIFICANT limitations which create customer service issues. That, in itself, is a great concern.
Old Feb 24, 2010, 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingHigh20
I think it's fairly inaccurate and very presumptious to assume she choose to keep Deltamatic. Nor do I think neither you, (nor I) have any idea on whether or not the system is robust and scalable for the needs of the business versus PARS.

What I think most people can agree on though, is that it has SIGNIFICANT limitations which create customer service issues. That, in itself, is a great concern.
No, it's not. That is what I was told (along w/a group of FTers) by Josh Weiss (former director of DL.com) & Jeff Robertson.
Old Feb 24, 2010, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
No, it's not. That is what I was told (along w/a group of FTers) by Josh Weiss (former director of DL.com) & Jeff Robertson.
Indeed.

Deltamatic might be a step back from PARS for frontline agents. Deltamatic however ties right into the Delta Nervous System, which is the entire IT component at Delta. If you think things are bad with Deltamatic right now, then I can tell you it would be a lot worse with PARS.

Delta had two choices really:
(a) Go with PARS for reservations. This would not have played well with the DNS and would require a lot of time and money to tie it into the DNS. It would likely make the US Airways/America West integration of SABRE into SHARES look tame by comparison.
(b) Dump PARS, go with Deltamatic. Yes, you lose some of the nice functionality that PARS had over Deltamatic. And yes, if you're strictly comparing res system to res system, PARS is superior. In the context of a much larger picture though, Deltamatic was better off.

As it stands, Delta is looking at replacing its entire res system within the next decade. Either way you slice it, PARS/Deltamatic were very old legacy systems dating back to my parents' childhood. There's finally been some traction on getting a new airline res system going this decade. Delta is looking at moving to that - and if you're the BoD looking at spending a ton of money to move to said system - is it better to short-term keep the inferior system, or spend a ton of money (and create even more headaches) by moving to PARS, only to dump that within the next 10 years?
Old Feb 24, 2010, 4:58 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by doglover
How are you voicing your displeasure?
  • I add to the volume of unhappy voices on Flyertalk.
Yeah, now they are really trembling in fear.

David
Old Feb 24, 2010, 4:58 pm

Programs: QF Plat - OW EMD | DL Gold / Starwood Gold

I personally don't care what system they chose to use or where the CIO came from -- the fact is delta.com is bug ridden and can be a major headache.

DL is also the dominant legacy at SDF - most of the time, they are the best choice but lately I have had to book on other carriers because delta.com problems including what I consider to be misleading pricing and pricing errors (not in consumer favor).

The last award ticket I booked online was a real adventure - I went against the calendar and initial mileage levels listed; suddenly it "re-calculates" mileage required to that of a low Y / C ticket -- in the end the ticket was issued messed up and I had to be persistent at the airport to get what I paid for (in miles). I don't like to be that persistent "pain in the thorn" to the gate agents either (most of whom are great employees), but I do thank the gate agents yesterday who managed to correct a DL IT wrong at the absolute last minute (i.e. I was already seated in the far rear of acft when GA reissued BP and provided it to FA for me).
Old Feb 24, 2010, 5:05 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum 3mm, Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by kuwakku
I think Delta knows about the problems but not sure if the people here can have enough effect. The best way is for the customers to vote with their dollars. For me, I have not spent much with Delta this year. I was able to book almost all of my travel (all awards tickets) this year before the merger. So, I will wait until next January to make a decision of what to do. I think it will be clearer then the voices here are really being heard and addressed.
Since AMEX is a major source of non BIS miles, perhaps voting by cancelling cards and letting AMEX know the reason is also an option?
Old Feb 24, 2010, 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by SDF_Traveler
I personally don't care what system they chose to use or where the CIO came from -- the fact is delta.com is bug ridden and can be a major headache.
Again, they understand and are working to fix. It's been getting better but we cannot expect NWA.com overnight. Please look @ the post by mersk862 to get a better, more technical, insight into the issue...
Old Feb 24, 2010, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
Originally Posted by SDF_Traveler
The folks in Atlanta know very well that the website needs a ton of work. That's why it's on the list of things to get fixed by end of year - by 1/1/11, there should be an entirely new delta.com that doesn't look like what you see today.

That being said, when it comes to an IT integration of this size, priorities need to be placed on where money goes and what gets done first. Delta realizes for reservations that PARS is a better system than Deltamatic - that's why Delta wanted to go that route until they realized that the costs to bring PARS up into the DNS (and the ensuing headaches) would create a more negative customer experience than staying with Deltamatic. It essentially was Delta picking their own poison - they knew that neither situation was necessarily good - it was a decision of what was least bad at the end of the day.

Now that they've gotten most of the major IT things behind now (res integration, web integration, SM integration, employee systems that we customers don't necessarily see/deal with), they can focus on stuff like building a brand new website from scratch to launch later this year. Getting the essential things that wouldn't allow the airline to run it's day-to-day operation done before doing something that could (briefly) wait would most likely not have been the right move at the end of the day.
Old Feb 24, 2010, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Again, they understand and are working to fix. It's been getting better but we cannot expect NWA.com overnight. Please look @ the post by mersk862 to get a better, more technical, insight into the issue...
Exactly....Theresa is an awesome CIO...but she's not Superman (err woman)...giver her time, we are seeing progress...as everyone agrees DL's IT was a mess (there's a reason DL's CIO is gone) wrong or right this is what she has to fix
Old Feb 24, 2010, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by socrates
Exactly....Theresa is an awesome CIO...but she's not Superman (err woman)...giver her time, we are seeing progress...as everyone agrees DL's IT was a mess (there's a reason DL's CIO is gone) wrong or right this is what she has to fix
^ From the rumors I've heard, even she was shocked at the poor state of pre-merger DL's IT once they started digging down into the system integration.

My ire is directed at Anderson & the beancounters that pushed to get rid of NW & nwa.com before Ms. Wise and her team could get delta.dumb up to speed.
Old Feb 24, 2010, 5:55 pm

Programs: Delta Dirt Medallion,AA,USairways, WN Rapid Rewards, National Emerald Club
Originally Posted by FlyingHigh20
+1 Oh hoh- woe be unto the Delta customer that experieces Delta irrops. It is beyond bad.

Thing is, I want to like Delta, but there is so little effort expended on the customer facing systems that it is hard to do so.
Old Feb 24, 2010, 5:58 pm

Programs: Delta Dirt Medallion,AA,USairways, WN Rapid Rewards, National Emerald Club
Take at look @ the CIO who came over from NW if you want a head to roll....
No, that was her inheritance, and being a smart woman I'm sure the woeful state of Delta IT upon her inheritance is documented.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.