Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No Trans-Continental Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2010, 10:13 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Flyer2016
As a NWA/Delta Platinum flyer, I Booked JFK-SFO last week and didn't get the upgrade bump - even up through the morning of the departure. It looked like there were open seats in FC, but reservations told me that the seats would most likely be released at the gate.

I opted to not take the flights without the confirmed upgrade. 7 hours each way in coach is more than I wanted to face.
First, I'd like to apologize to the OP, as I think it was my question as to what he decided to do after he didn't take the flight that started this flood of negative replies! I'm surprised that anyone could pass judgement on the OP without fully knowing the circumstances as to how important the trip was! Secondly, we've had MANY MANY MANY posts with a HUGE sense of entitlement to upgrades WAYYYY more than this one. The one that comes to mind reads something like - No upgrade 5 days out - This is getting ridiculous! - - If you re-read the OP, I don't feel even an iota of arrogance or entitlement. He simply said - I didn't get the upgrade - I didn't take the trip. No more - no less. Why is everyone so quick to jump all over people?!
Old Feb 15, 2010, 6:27 pm
KLC
In Memoriam

Originally Posted by davetravels
... If you re-read the OP, I don't feel even an iota of arrogance or entitlement. He simply said - I didn't get the upgrade - I didn't take the trip. ...
Actually, the OP said he didn't take the trip because he couldn't get a confirmed upgrade in advance. even up to the morning of the departure. He was told that upgrades would be released at the gate, although it wasn't clear where he would have placed on the upgrade waiting list.

I've managed to get upgraded every time I've taken this route, but seldom in advance of the battlefield. To me, it's worth the gamble.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 6:44 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by KLC
Actually, the OP said he didn't take the trip because he couldn't get a confirmed upgrade in advance. even up to the morning of the departure. He was told that upgrades would be released at the gate, although it wasn't clear where he would have placed on the upgrade waiting list.

I've managed to get upgraded every time I've taken this route, but seldom in advance of the battlefield. To me, it's worth the gamble.
Yes! But the TONE of the post has absolutely no arrogance in it like MANY DO have on here! So many posts, almost daily, people squawk that they feel slighted that they didn't get upgraded! He simply said - I didn't get it, so I didn't go. And he got blasted!
Old Feb 15, 2010, 7:22 pm
KLC
In Memoriam

Originally Posted by davetravels
Yes! But the TONE of the post has absolutely no arrogance in it like MANY DO have on here! So many posts, almost daily, people squawk that they feel slighted that they didn't get upgraded! He simply said - I didn't get it, so I didn't go. And he got blasted!
Agreed.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 7:24 pm

Programs: DL PM / MM, Nat'l EE
Originally Posted by LADELTA777
i did land an upgrade on BE lax - jfk I did take the 6:10 AM FLIGHT, there were 3 open seats left, I was the only one in the Waiting list

please tell me this wasn't on the sat 2/13 flight... i would just kick myself (or have a gin & tonic )
Old Feb 19, 2010, 7:59 pm

Programs: DL
SFO-JFK upgrade experience: how many days out typically do you get upgraded as PM?

My flight is in 3 days and still no upgrade with half seats in FC empty. Maybe someone with lots of SFO-JFK flights can enlighten me when they typically get upgrades as PM?

Thanks in advance
Old Feb 19, 2010, 8:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by cudchew
My flight is in 3 days and still no upgrade with half seats in FC empty. Maybe someone with lots of SFO-JFK flights can enlighten me when they typically get upgrades as PM?

Thanks in advance
Monday morning JFK-SFO should be very elite heavy. There is another thread here somewhere where a bunch of folks said it was pretty easy but I bet Monday is tough.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but aren't these all battlefield upgrades and not released for "window" upgrades?
Old Feb 19, 2010, 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by cudchew

Thanks in advance
Unfortunately the answer is you don't. All accounts are no upgrades until day of at the gate. Delta is trying to sell the 16 seats since the service is near BusinessElite and I can't say I don't blame them.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 8:38 pm

Only at the gate.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 8:40 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, MTA Rust, Hertz Five Star something or other
I flew JFK-SFO on Tuesday and JFK-SFO Thursday and both flights had ~15 BE seats open until day of departure. Both flights had standby upgrades for sale and went out with multiple seats empty in BE (amazing service BTW)

As has been mentioned, NO advance upgrade inventory is being opened up on the transcon BE routes, which is a little ridiculous IMO. I don't understand why Delta revenue management would encourage Plats to buy sub $300 T fares, instead of K for PMUs.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 8:53 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
Originally Posted by WBurcham
Only at the gate.
+1; be prepared for the gate battle on this route and LAX-JFK.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 8:58 pm

With the enhanced service on these routes, I actually don't have an issue with this.

What I DO have an issue with, is the lack of saver J and G inventory on this route. SOmeone willing to upgrade with miles should be able to do so!
Old Feb 19, 2010, 9:01 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
With the enhanced service on these routes, I actually don't have an issue with this.

What I DO have an issue with, is the lack of saver J and G inventory on this route. SOmeone willing to upgrade with miles should be able to do so!
WB its actually Z inventory now to upgrade with miles/PMUs as the flights have gone to official Business.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 11:13 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM

From what I've seen, G/Z inventory on a particular route is always lower than V/X on the same route.

I've always thought that one thing that would make PMUs/SWUs more useful would be if there were actually *more* seats dedicated to G/Z than V/X. That would allow you a certain number of opportunities to jump to the front of the line for an upgrade, and to use a PMU where the V/X upgrades are currently not offered.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.