No Trans-Continental Upgrade

Old Feb 13, 2010, 10:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond Medallion, NWA "MillionAir", Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, National Emerald Executive
No Trans-Continental Upgrade

As a NWA/Delta Platinum flyer, I Booked JFK-SFO last week and didn't get the upgrade bump - even up through the morning of the departure. It looked like there were open seats in FC, but reservations told me that the seats would most likely be released at the gate.

I opted to not take the flights without the confirmed upgrade. 7 hours each way in coach is more than I wanted to face.
Old Feb 13, 2010, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by Flyer2016
As a NWA/Delta Platinum flyer, I Booked JFK-SFO last week and didn't get the upgrade bump - even up through the morning of the departure. It looked like there were open seats in FC, but reservations told me that the seats would most likely be released at the gate.

I opted to not take the flights without the confirmed upgrade. 7 hours each way in coach is more than I wanted to face.
VERY tough upgrade even as a plat. I did it once and apparently got lucky from what I read here.
Old Feb 13, 2010, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
1. JFK-SFO/LAX upgrades USED to be easy until the switch the BE 757s with less premium cabin seats.
2. If you want to increase your upgrade chances, you should connect as the other domestic aircraft have a greater ratio of premium to coach seats.
3. While the flights are scheduled for 7+ hours, the flying time is much less.
Old Feb 13, 2010, 10:33 am

Programs: DL PM MM SC; GE; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Diamond
I've never missed an upgrade on that route as a PM, usually at the window, maybe once or twice at the gate.
Old Feb 13, 2010, 10:34 am
KLC
In Memoriam

Upgrade space on the JFK-SFO and JFK-LAX nonstop flights is not opened in advance. It's X0 through the end of the schedule, so everyone requesting an upgrade is on the battlefield. Unless something changes, if you want a chance at an advance confirmed complimentary upgrade, you'll have to choose a different route.
Old Feb 13, 2010, 10:35 am

Programs: DL PM, Alaska Gold MVP, Expedia Elite Plus, Amex Reserve.
THESE seat are only being released 30 minutes prior to departure
lax jfk, sfo jfk
Old Feb 13, 2010, 10:36 am
KLC
In Memoriam

Originally Posted by ShopAround
I've never missed an upgrade on that route as a PM, usually at the window, maybe once or twice at the gate.
Same here for upgrades at the window, historically, but not since they changed the nonstops to BE. It's all X0 until gate time.
Old Feb 13, 2010, 10:36 am

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by KLC
Upgrade space on the JFK-SFO and JFK-LAX nonstop flights is not opened in advance. It's X0 through the end of the schedule, so everyone requesting an upgrade is on the battlefield. Unless something changes, if you want a chance at an advance confirmed complimentary upgrade, you'll have to choose a different route.
Though I'm sure that's sometimes true, I've definitely been upgraded at the 5 day window for JFK-SFO and SFO-JFK (this was in December).
Old Feb 13, 2010, 10:37 am

Programs: DL PM, Alaska Gold MVP, Expedia Elite Plus, Amex Reserve.
i did land an upgrade on BE lax - jfk I did take the 6:10 AM FLIGHT, there were 3 open seats left, I was the only one in the Waiting list
Old Feb 13, 2010, 10:41 am

Programs: Delta Diamond 2 Million Miler, United 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Avis Presidents Club
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

If you must fly up front... Buy F. You might even find some great A deals on te JFK-West Coast routes.
Old Feb 13, 2010, 10:41 am
KLC
In Memoriam

Originally Posted by GBadger
Though I'm sure that's sometimes true, I've definitely been upgraded at the 5 day window for JFK-SFO and SFO-JFK (this was in December).
My guess is that your experience was the exception. I've also gotten the upgrade ahead of departure day a few times, but those flights definitely start out at X0.
Old Feb 13, 2010, 10:43 am

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by KLC
My guess is that your experience was the exception.
Very possible. I should be on these flights a few more times this year, so I'll see what happens there.

I must say that I'm glad when they sub a BE 763 on this route...last time I had almost 2 rows of BE to myself!! However, I've also had the opposite happen, with a switch to standard domestic F for a redeye SFO-JFK .
Old Feb 13, 2010, 10:53 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver

I'm also on this flight at 10 AM in June and September on the luxurious "T" fare!! I'll expect my champagne to be waiting for me at the door as I board!! . . . Especially since I fully expect to be sitting in my pre-assigned seat in the exit row at door 2!

Anyway . . . so, if you didn't take the flight, what did you do?
Old Feb 13, 2010, 11:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond Medallion, NWA "MillionAir", Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by davetravels
I'm also on this flight at 10 AM in June and September on the luxurious "T" fare!! I'll expect my champagne to be waiting for me at the door as I board!! . . . Especially since I fully expect to be sitting in my pre-assigned seat in the exit row at door 2!

Anyway . . . so, if you didn't take the flight, what did you do?
We teleconferenced with the client. Not quite like being there in person - but it wasn't a totally bad experience. I'll see the client at a meeting in Las Vegas next week and will buy him dinner then.
Old Feb 13, 2010, 11:38 am

oy.

sounds like you should have bought F tickets then.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.