Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Strange Weather Related Upgrade Situation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2010, 12:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EP, HH LT Diamond

Hello,
First of all, let it be known that I am NOT complaining about not receiving an upgrade. Turns out that the Exit Row on the MD's is just as nice as F on a short flight like DCA-ATL. I'm just curious.

My question is this:

Because of the snow this week, my Monday 02/08 flight from DCA to ATL was automatically canceled and re-booked for Tuesday 02/09.

My upgrade had already been confirmed 6 days out on the original flight but when I was rebooked it went back to requested. When I looked at the Upgrade list, it said just the number of people on the upgrade list but not where I was on it. It said to check the gate agent for the upgrade priority. When I got to the airport, I didn't see my name on the upgrade list OR the cleared list and just took my assigned seat.

Again, I was not worried about it as I already had a good seat so I didn't call or talk to anyone. I was just curious as to what might have happened.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 1:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP
That happened to me when I used the online rebooking tool. I had to call in and get re-added.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 1:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EP, HH LT Diamond
Yeah, when this happened last time, I was automatically re-booked into F. So I guess the moral of this story is that if you are re-booked and not directly into first, if you care about the upgrade, it's worth a call.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 1:41 pm
KLC
In Memoriam

Originally Posted by pdac1975
... It said to check the gate agent for the upgrade priority. ...
Not sure why the request didn't transfer automatically, but I imagine if you had asked the GA, you would have been added to the list.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 1:53 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM/UA G MM/DL MM DM 2015/BA Silver/Hyatt Diamond
I was scheduled JFK-LAX BE for Thursday morning but given the weather outlook, I opted to fly last night instead. I was able to get JFK-SAN but in coach. The net was a $10 "credit" between a "D" which is a discounted BE and an H fare - put me on the upgrade list at the top but still only on the list and only after asking to be put on it. Arrived at the gate and saw I was #2 (no longer #1) on the list - #1 got the upgrade, I sat in 18A (Exit row). Could have been worse as the flight was full.

I was a little disappointed in that I would have automatically gotten an F seat had there been one to book ("can't even sell you one" is what I was told) and to rebook required them to book me in an available fare class - in this case H. I would have preferred they keep the $10 and book me in Y but that didn't happen - I wasn't paying attention. Will miss the 50% class bonus, too.

Next time I'll remember. In the end, I beat the snow out and I'm home today as opposed to hanging in NY worrying about flights out of JFK Thursday.

Makes me 1/2 this year (with 40K MQM)
Old Feb 12, 2010, 12:10 pm

Programs: DL DM 1MM, HH Diamond, MR Lifetime Plat/Titanium, National Exec Elite
Yes, weather IRROPS seems to screw with upgrades. My N/S SEA - ATL was canceled, rebook on red-eye through MSP.

SEA-MSP was a mess, gate agents couldn't figure out which 757 was parked there, boarded Zone 1 and Zone 2, then stopped for 20 minutes. 3 different gate agents came to the back of the plane to verify there were 42 rows A-F.

Deplane in order to re-scan all boarding cards, and several people got downgraded.

Then in MSP, there is no upgrade board, so did not know whether i was on the list or not, huge line at the counter, so just boarded Zone 2.

I noticed that 4 seats went out empty in First. I tried online upgrade list but with all IRROP flight mess on my itinerary, it did not even show which flight i had 'accepted'.

Moral of story .... i need to be more aggressive in asking if i am on the list.....i always try not to be 'that guy'.

happy to be home in ATL now that the snow is starting to stick, best of luck to all traveling through ATL this afternoon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.