Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

How much worse is DL SM than you had thought last year?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How much worse is DL SM than you had thought last year?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2010, 5:25 pm

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Originally Posted by DiverDave
And here's the real stunner. I checked Onepass on that route. A BE award is 60K at SaverPass and 110K at EasyPass. For July they have SaverPass every day. (Bravo on their part!)
Exactly which dates did you find DL BE on NRT-SIN in "Low"?
Because there are plenty of people here who would be quite impressed with your tech savvy.
I didn't know they cut the We/Th flights, good catch.
With Star Alliance and CO's web site, you can find partner flights, too. They added this feature on THE DAY they joined *A. Hmm, must be very difficult to add to a website huh?
Not DL--they deem it a better use of its customers' time to call and take up phone agents' time than to be able to book online. So it's either that crazy idea--OR, they make it purposefully harder to use DL miles on partner awards, which they'd have to pay for... OR they're pathetically inept in IT. Which is it?
Old Feb 24, 2010, 6:01 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.950MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by kyushuman
Exactly which dates did you find DL BE on NRT-SIN in "Low"?
Because there are plenty of people here who would be quite impressed with your tech savvy.
I didn't know they cut the We/Th flights, good catch.
With Star Alliance and CO's web site, you can find partner flights, too. They added this feature on THE DAY they joined *A. Hmm, must be very difficult to add to a website huh?
Not DL--they deem it a better use of its customers' time to call and take up phone agents' time than to be able to book online. So it's either that crazy idea--OR, they make it purposefully harder to use DL miles on partner awards, which they'd have to pay for... OR they're pathetically inept in IT. Which is it?
I didn't say I found "Low" on Delta for that route. But I'm not focused on just that one route.

If you can pick one route and claim it is the benchmark for the worth of Skymiles, I am free to pick another route and use it in the same way.

More to the point, why do you ignore how OP is charging 60K NRT-SIN for their low, almost identical to Delta's 65K medium.

Doesn't take much tech savvy to visit the web sites and collect actual data. Maybe you should give it a try.

David
Old Feb 25, 2010, 12:10 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Location: Tucson, AZ, USA. UA 1K, reluctant but * best in class * DL FO/MM. Former BA jumpseat rider and scourge of Dilbertian management and apologists. As LX might - and do - say: "....an experienced frequent flyer of international airlines"
"And here's a challenge for you. If you think that 225K is so outrageous, why haven't you asked Delta about it. Given Low of 40K and Medium of 65K, it seems odd that High is 225K.

I mean if it's an important route to you personally, take a few moments and ask.
Why should I have to correct DL's mistake, if in fact it's a mistake? Other airlines make their awards available at stated levels, whether SaverPass or EasyPass or whatever. Why ought DL to be given a pass on this when none of their competitors have this problem?

"And here's the real stunner. I checked Onepass on that route. A BE award is 60K at SaverPass and 110K at EasyPass. For July they have SaverPass every day. (Bravo on their part!)

RTS says you can get it for 30K in J through OnePass. That's not what their interactive chart says, and that's not what it prices out at. It's 30K one way, but Continental won't let you book a one way award. Any dates I pick, OnePass wants 60K miles for a J award, not 30K. SaverPass coach is 40K.

So where the heck did this 30K redemption with OP number come from? :-: :-: :-: Maybe it comes from UA, because they do offer a 30K J award which is bookable on united.com. Maybe OP is going to offer that, maybe they aren't. But right now OP is 60K. And that's the original quote:

So here we are with a bogus 7.5x number based on cherry-picked dates and incorrect redemption figures on OnePass.

Seems like some real :-: :-: BEST IN CLASS :-: :-: math to me.

David
You are correct about OP mileage WRT to NRT-SIN. It was my mistake. In my zeal to denounce the SM program - which is as you know not a difficult task - I quoted the one-way figure. You're right, the 30k through OP from NRT to SIN is indeed one way. It is 60k from NRT at SaverPass. My bad. Get WBurcham's gator out of his foot and send it to bite my butt.

As you note, availability is good.

And through MP, this can indeed be done for 30k.

Also, for non-Japan origins on OnePass, i.e. North Asia, to South Asia, J can be had for 30k on OP. So, ICN-SIN, for example, or PEK-SIN, price out at 30k in J.

It's not bogus or dishonest to state that SM is 7.5 times worse than its competitor program, UA MP, in this case. True, SM is only 3.8 times worse than OP, on days when the 225k redemption applies. And I don't see why such outrage that this number is being used. That's not a fictional amount, it is factual, not every day agreed, but it is still what DL actually demands for redemption for that route on certain days.

Now, I did discover something interesting, and much more promising. When I searched DL.COM for Y on a random date, it showed 40k as the return amount. But when I clicked through to pricing, this dropped to 20k for the date I checked.

That was the legendary WP value. If it would actually ticket at 20k, and even better, if J were available at 30k as was, then there would be a lot less to holler about.

The route may not be important to you, but as you see, it was and is important to WP customers. Lots of us used to, or do, live in Asia, or have regular business there. WP was a global program, in a meanigful way. Unlike SM.

And you must agree, it doesn't say much for SM that although my comparison to OP for the NRT to SIN route wasn't as unfavorable as originally stated, it is that bad compared with UA MP. And, still, if SM only 3.8 times worse than OP, then that must be truly :-: best in class :-: n'est ce pas. Je comprends, bien sur.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 12:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by redtailshark
BTW, I'm pretty sure this is a mistake in the UA award chart; if you compare intra-N. Asia and N. Asia-->S. Asia, you'll see what I'm getting at. (I've never brought this fact up in the UA forum for fear of having it corrected by a lurker.)

ETA: I'm aware of the fact that both DL and NW used to charge 30k in C for everything intra-Asia. But, in the new environment, this is a sweet spot for UA miles,... assuming you can score seats on SQ.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
That was the legendary WP value. If it would actually ticket at 20k, and even better, if J were available at 30k as was, then there would be a lot less to holler about.
Sadly most of us NW folks (including me) are letting go of the old WP value. I doubt DL would ever get there (not will I forget). But recent examples of availability (still very sparse if you ask me) is a glimmer of hope. I hope it only gets better, then so will my rating of SM.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 5:39 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.950MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Why should I have to correct DL's mistake, if in fact it's a mistake? Other airlines make their awards available at stated levels, whether SaverPass or EasyPass or whatever. Why ought DL to be given a pass on this when none of their competitors have this problem?
I didn't say give them a pass, I just asked if you had queried them about the 225K. I am just curious that you ccan't be bothered since the route seems to matter quite a lot to you:

The route may not be important to you, but as you see, it was and is important to WP customers. Lots of us used to, or do, live in Asia, or have regular business there. WP was a global program, in a meaningful way. Unlike SM.
You are correct about OP mileage WRT to NRT-SIN. It was my mistake. In my zeal to denounce the SM program - which is as you know not a difficult task - I quoted the one-way figure. You're right, the 30k through OP from NRT to SIN is indeed one way. It is 60k from NRT at SaverPass. My bad. Get WBurcham's gator out of his foot and send it to bite my butt.
Ah, just a minor little omission of fact that doesn't really matter since your goal was so very noble.

While we're on your noble goal, does it matter to you that on most days you can book this route for 65K on Delta while every day you can book it for 60K on Continental. Hardly the 7.5x worse. In the month I cited, you could only book the 225K on ONE day for the whole month.

Well maybe that is a mistake also:
Originally Posted by moondog
BTW, I'm pretty sure this is a mistake in the UA award chart; if you compare intra-N. Asia and N. Asia-->S. Asia, you'll see what I'm getting at. (I've never brought this fact up in the UA forum for fear of having it corrected by a lurker.)
It's not bogus or dishonest to state that SM is 7.5 times worse than its competitor program, UA MP, in this case. True, SM is only 3.8 times worse than OP, on days when the 225k redemption applies. And I don't see why such outrage that this number is being used. That's not a fictional amount, it is factual, not every day agreed, but it is still what DL actually demands for redemption for that route on certain days.
I think dishonest is a perfectly accurate word to use, considering that you continue to shout this discredited number as if it somehow is a meaningful sample.

You heap scorn on Delta for their claims of domestic awards being freely available at 25K for average Joe. Yet the days and route pairs at which somebody in the US could find a domestic coach award ticket at 25K would vastly exceed the one day of the month on the one route which costs 3.8x OP or 7.5x MP.

You're like a cop who nailed somebody doing 75 in a 45 zone. And you write them up for 195 mph. I just don't get it.

And you must agree, it doesn't say much for SM that although my comparison to OP for the NRT to SIN route wasn't as unfavorable as originally stated, it is that bad compared with UA MP. And, still, if SM only 3.8 times worse than OP, then that must be truly :-: best in class :-: n'est ce pas. Je comprends, bien sur.
3.8 times worse than OP on one route. One route. One route. One route.

I'll talk to WBurcham about the gator. I hear it's :-: :-: BEST IN CLASS :-: :-:

David
Old Feb 25, 2010, 9:22 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Location: Tucson, AZ, USA. UA 1K, reluctant but * best in class * DL FO/MM. Former BA jumpseat rider and scourge of Dilbertian management and apologists. As LX might - and do - say: "....an experienced frequent flyer of international airlines"
I didn't say give them a pass, I just asked if you had queried them about the 225K. I am just curious that you ccan't be bothered since the route seems to matter quite a lot to you
I quit using DL in a meaningful way last summer, so my SM simply don't accrue at the pace needed to make this an issue any more. It's a technical outrage. If I paid to fly DL as much as I used to fly NW to earn those value-free SM, I'd be hot under the collar too.

Ah, just a minor little omission of fact that doesn't really matter since your goal was so very noble.

While we're on your noble goal, does it matter to you that on most days you can book this route for 65K on Delta while every day you can book it for 60K on Continental. Hardly the 7.5x worse. In the month I cited, you could only book the 225K on ONE day for the whole month.
In that month, perhaps. But still, there is no case - none - where SM outperforms OP. That's :-: best in class :-:

Well maybe that is a mistake also:
I can't speak to UA's factual redemption other than by looking at the published chart, I don't have MP miles.

I think dishonest is a perfectly accurate word to use, considering that you continue to shout this discredited number as if it somehow is a meaningful sample.
How so, discredited? I don't understand. This outrageous redemption demand actually exists. You verified it yourself.

You heap scorn on Delta for their claims of domestic awards being freely available at 25K for average Joe.
Not nearly as much as I do for the hated IOS, the intra-Asia redemptions and int'l Biz to LatAm, EU and Asia.

Yet the days and route pairs at which somebody in the US could find a domestic coach award ticket at 25K would vastly exceed the one day of the month on the one route which costs 3.8x OP or 7.5x MP.

You're like a cop who nailed somebody doing 75 in a 45 zone. And you write them up for 195 mph. I just don't get it.
No, because there would be no case of doing 195mph. But there is a case of the multiple being 7.5 compared with MP. You acknowledge you found it yourself. It is not factually incorrect to state that SM requires 7.5 times the mileage of MP in this case. Frequency is not the same as absolute threshold performance. Which we've found here.

3.8 times worse than OP on one route. One route. One route. One route.

I'll talk to WBurcham about the gator. I hear it's :-: :-: BEST IN CLASS :-: :-:

David
Yes, WBurcham's gators are best in class, for sure. But why don't you direct them at SM management responsible for this shambles, and not me for calling out the SM shenanigans.

It's not just about this one route, extremely bad though it is. I know you probably don't want to search the archive, but last fall I compared a number of direct comparisons between OP and SM for forthcoming redemptions. Such as this example here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...tual-case.html

Evidently, I need to repeat that for my last fifteen redemptions since June, similarly to the case above, OP required fewer miles and in many cases, fewer $ in taxes and fees. There was one case where SM worked better, a domestic redemption during the Christmas break, for which it wanted 42.5k for F/Y itin, while OP wanted 50k for Y both ways.

If there was even trade between awards, or even a slight bias, then SM would be less of an affront. But for my actual redemptions, measured by frequency, for the actual redemptions I've performed, OP beat SM 93.2% of the time. If SM is best in class, what does that make OP - best in the entire intergalactic wormhole?

I'm by no means the only person who's noticed this slight problem with the :-: best in class :-: SM program, take a look at DL board traffic over the previous few months to find numerous other people posting similar outrages.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 9:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I can't speak to UA's factual redemption other than by looking at the published chart, I don't have MP miles.
Mistake or not, UA honors its award chart (both online and over the phone).
Old Feb 25, 2010, 10:14 pm

Piss & moan but don't do anything about it. Typical.

In my zeal to denounce the SM program - which is as you know not a difficult task - I quoted the one-way figure. You're right, the 30k through OP from NRT to SIN is indeed one way. It is 60k from NRT at SaverPass. My bad. Get WBurcham's gator out of his foot and send it to bite my butt.
Please, I'd send 'em to take your hands, not your butt.

As for where else they are going/have gone, trust me, they are going to the places they need to get action taken.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 11:02 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WBurcham
Piss & moan but don't do anything about it. Typical.
WBurcham, you know better than that. I'm not given to sitting on my ..., at least, not until I've exhausted all reasonable channels. You should be aware that I've taken such action as is available to me multiple times, including TTUs, and this..

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...nwa-elite.html

You old-time DL guys are the ones bending over to excuse and accept the SM outrages without protest. I find it ironic I'm being accused of doing nothing one moment, and at another, of "ruining" the entire DL board on FT. Which is it?

Originally Posted by WBurcham
Please, I'd send 'em to take your hands, not your butt.

As for where else they are going/have gone, trust me, they are going to the places they need to get action taken.
So, you don't deny you own these monsters in your backyard swamp. Why don't you set them on the masters of the SM program? Don't bite the messenger, bite those who set award levels at, for instance, 225k from NRT to SIN in J, or 550k from SDF-LIS in J. Bite those who proclaim their product to be :-: best in class :-: when it patently isn't so.

Last edited by redtailshark; Feb 25, 2010 at 11:04 pm Reason: Addition
Old Feb 25, 2010, 11:43 pm

So, you don't deny you own these monsters in your backyard swamp. Why don't you set them on the masters of the SM program?
Oh, I have...
Old Feb 25, 2010, 11:49 pm

You old-time DL guys are the ones bending over to excuse and accept the SM outrages without protest. I find it ironic I'm being accused of doing nothing one moment, and at another, of "ruining" the entire DL board on FT. Which is it?
Not all the DO old-timers. I have left Delta twice before as my primary carrier and will do so again if the situation does not show improvement by September. Delta needs some time to adjust to the merger.

People need to try other airlines' services and frequent flyer programs in order to properly rate a program.

We all need to try to work together to identify issues and how we can try to get Delta management to tweak here and tweak there to improve the program without a net negative impact to the bottom line.

I have been playing the frequesnt flyer game for almost 29 years now, and the game is getting bumpy here at Delta. Let's continue to debate and voice our concerns and hope Delta addresses some of the concerns.

Since 2002 the frequent flyer experience has been a downhill slide for probably all airline programs. We need to be open and respectful to the opinions of others, and identify the competitive issues with the hope that Delta addresses them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.