Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta may shut Cincinnati crew base, shift flying

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2010, 7:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/MM
DL to close CVG Crew Base...

Just read this from the NYTimes. Thought it was a bit interesting...

<http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2010/02/03/business/AP-US-Delta-Air-Lines-International-Flying.html>

Hmm...wonder if CVG will even get through 2010 without turning into another IND.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 7:22 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Linkified for the lazy:

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2010/02/03/business/AP-US-Delta-Air-Lines-International-Flying.html

David
Old Feb 3, 2010, 7:29 pm

Interesting quote:

A memo to pilots from Delta's vice president of flying operations says the airline is planning capacity increases from the Pacific Northwest to markets in Asia, most likely with the 767-300ER.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 7:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP
A company memo and a memo from union representatives to members does not make clear how that might affect Delta's service from that airport to Paris, the only international destination outside of North America that Delta currently serves nonstop from Cincinnati.
I hope they keep this route as long as it is profitable... I take this flight twice a year. .
Old Feb 3, 2010, 7:37 pm

Title is misleading

Originally Posted by UVAhoo06
Just read this from the NYTimes. Thought it was a bit interesting...

<http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2010/02/03/business/AP-US-Delta-Air-Lines-International-Flying.html>

Hmm...wonder if CVG will even get through 2010 without turning into another IND.
Only the 767-ER pilots are being displaced; the pilot base remains open. There are still domestic pilots based in CVG for the 737 and/or the MD88 and at this time there are no plans to move those pilots.

With SEA gaining two new Asia routes this summer and CVG staying with just the one daily 763 to CDG it makes sense for this move. However the other side is the SEA base will likely lose the A330 from the NW era and pilots will have to transition to the 763.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 8:03 pm

Programs: DL PM; US Silver;Mariott+SPG+Hyatt Gold; Hertz 5*; National Car Emerald; Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by N522US
Only the 767-ER pilots are being displaced; the pilot base remains open. There are still domestic pilots based in CVG for the 737 and/or the MD88 and at this time there are no plans to move those pilots.

With SEA gaining two new Asia routes this summer and CVG staying with just the one daily 763 to CDG it makes sense for this move. However the other side is the SEA base will likely lose the A330 from the NW era and pilots will have to transition to the 763.
I know a lot of pilots who are "based" out of certain cities don't actually live there, but fly to their "base" cities and then go from there.

I am hoping they are just be re-"based" on the west coast and that they would still be able to fly their 763's.....

Its also sad to hear that they're reducing CVG more. I've spent a lot of time in CVG and its got a pretty room SkyClub and doesn't seem to have much in the way of delays. The DL terminal is quite roomy and nice as well.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 10:49 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
Originally Posted by apados
...a pretty room SkyClub and doesn't seem to have much in the way of delays. The DL terminal is quite roomy and nice as well.
It's so nice and quiet because it once was a key hub, and was built with much more traffic in mind. Now it's just an airport that's too big for its volume levels.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 12:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by N522US

I don't think so. PDX-NRT is going back to an A330 this Spring or Summer. The A330's will continue to fly the Pacific Northwest routes (SEA/PDX) to Europe & Asia.

-RM
Old Feb 4, 2010, 1:56 am

Programs: DL, QF, QR Gold, MR Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by BobRoss
I hope they keep this route as long as it is profitable... I take this flight twice a year. .
I used to take this flight once/month or so, a few years ago. DL operated a 777 on this route and they alternated with AF. It was very convenient. Then this route became DL only and they switched to a crummy old 763. That and the hassle of connecting in CDG made the experience unbearable. DL should have been paying ME. So I added an extra connection through DTW (and flew CVG-DTW-AMS-...) and it was infinitely better.

CVG-CDG really is a crappy experience.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 6:54 am

Programs: Delta, Starwood, Hyatt
Originally Posted by NYBanker
It's so nice and quiet because it once was a key hub, and was built with much more traffic in mind. Now it's just an airport that's too big for its volume levels.
Agree. They built based on current and expected demand but the airline they were in bed with decide to find new partners. Have flown out of CVG for 2.5 years, until a recent move to IND, I wish things were different as I like CVG. The airport needs to offer some sweetheart deals to other airlines to try to build up numbers. Although it will probably be a very difficult strategic sell to convince another airline to build a significant presence at CVG.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 8:45 am

ATLANTA (AP) -- Delta Air Lines is expected to move more aircraft to the Pacific Northwest to handle service to Asia as it continues to shuffle the departure points for its international flying to adjust its network to demand.

The world's biggest airline told pilots last week that its Boeing 767ER crew base at the Cincinnati airport will likely close sometime in 2010, barring a change in network strategy.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Delta-....html?x=0&.v=7
Old Feb 4, 2010, 9:13 am

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
7 down:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...crew-base.html
Old Feb 4, 2010, 9:43 am

Location: RDU, Delta GM/1MM, Hilton Diamond (for now), Bonvoy Titanium
Repost - it's just for the 763 international pilots according to the other thread.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 10:08 am
Suspended

The new Delta has two many hubs. No surprise here that one is being closed.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 10:25 am

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by jfulcher
Repost - it's just for the 763 international pilots according to the other thread.
Maybe, maybe not. A couple months ago a Comair FA told me that OH will be setting up a base at DTW in the near future (at the expense of CVG).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.