Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Multiple Computers on Gogo?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2018, 11:13 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriott Platinum, Former Amtrak Select, Former Hilton Gold
I have a 2 device plan for Delta, it's $60 per month
Old Aug 23, 2018, 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by brkandjfk
They also track MAC id's, and more than 4 devices used on a pass within X period of time will cause the lock down of the account. You'll need to contact support to clear it.
But... Paying for one connection and then using a travel router or other means to pull additional bandwidth - that's simply a crappy way to screw over your fellow passengers.
I'm all for maximizing benefits but not when it screws others.
I don't think I screwed anyone else over. Gogo limits per-device bandwidth so that no one person can screw everyone over by firing up Netflix and streaming House of Cards in 4K. Since the router acts as a single device, all of my devices were limited to, in aggregate, whatever Gogo sets the limit at, and since any devices connected to the router have to share that bandwidth, the only one getting screwed over is me. (And my wife...)

Plus my usage was limited to checking emails, watching the flight I was on on Flightaware and doing some calculus homework... All pretty low-bandwidth activities.
Old Sep 2, 2019, 1:17 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by mgalisa
I don't think I screwed anyone else over. Gogo limits per-device bandwidth so that no one person can screw everyone over by firing up Netflix and streaming House of Cards in 4K. Since the router acts as a single device, all of my devices were limited to, in aggregate, whatever Gogo sets the limit at, and since any devices connected to the router have to share that bandwidth, the only one getting screwed over is me. (And my wife...)

Plus my usage was limited to checking emails, watching the flight I was on on Flightaware and doing some calculus homework... All pretty low-bandwidth activities.
Bumping an old thread...it seems Gogo has in the past week (or on my current flight at least) blocked some travel routers.

I’ve been using a HooToo router for years to split my connection between my phone and iPad. Flew JFK-LAX RT last week on a 764, and it worked great as normal. Today, I’m on an A333 JFK-LAX, and attempting to log in through the travel router brings me to a Gogo-branded error page I’d never seen before. Router reboots etc have no effect. Connecting directly via iPad yields a good connection with no errors.

We’ll see if my return flight exhibits the same behavior. In the meantime, I’ve got to look into changing the MAC on my travel router.
Old Sep 2, 2019, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by MikeNYC1

We’ll see if my return flight exhibits the same behavior. In the meantime, I’ve got to look into changing the MAC on my travel router.
Most travel routers will let you easily clone the MAC address of whatever device you use t configure them.
Old Sep 2, 2019, 5:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GS, FB Gold, AS MVPG, MR Titanium, VS Gold
I do this all the time with My tmobile unlimited gogo.

Sign in to gogo on Android phone, turn airplane mode off but also mobile data off, then turn on hotspot. Boom, I can share free tmobile gogo with my laptop/ipad.

Also works for many paid wifi services, Have used the same meathod on UA, AA, JAL, QR and ANA with 0 issues.
Old Sep 2, 2019, 5:57 pm

Programs: Delta Plat
Originally Posted by IWontRegretThis
I do this all the time with My tmobile unlimited gogo.

Sign in to gogo on Android phone, turn airplane mode off but also mobile data off, then turn on hotspot. Boom, I can share free tmobile gogo with my laptop/ipad.

Also works for many paid wifi services, Have used the same meathod on UA, AA, JAL, QR and ANA with 0 issues.
What phone do you have? I know this is impossible on most phones so I'd like to get my hands on a phone that would allow it.
Old Sep 2, 2019, 10:54 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by HWGeeks
What phone do you have? I know this is impossible on most phones so I'd like to get my hands on a phone that would allow it.
In the Google Fi thread it was mentioned that Google phones from Pixel 3 onward have this capability:

Google Fi: Anyone care to post their experience?

(post 1024 and replies)
Old Sep 3, 2019, 8:58 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA GS, FB Gold, AS MVPG, MR Titanium, VS Gold
Pixel 3 XL
Old Sep 3, 2019, 9:15 am

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Another option that works on many phones is to use BT or USB tethering .
Old Sep 3, 2019, 11:46 am

Programs: DL PM, HH Plat, National Executive
As others mentioned, I just hotspot my phone (Galaxy S10) or tablet to my laptop; so easy and I can receive/send texts without having to use a third party app like WhatsApp. I haven't owned an iPhone in years, but, I had to jailbreak it back then to get it to do the same functionality - not sure what the new models are able to do.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 3:32 pm

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
Windows 10 has a built-in ability to be a hotspot:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...mobile-hotspot

So if you're trying to connect a Windows 10 laptop and a phone to one Gogo connection, connect the laptop to Gogo and then turn on its hotspot feature to connect the phone. (I haven't tried this, but I see no reason it wouldn't work.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.