Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Moved out of Bulkhead window BE seat on Intra-asia due to FAM?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2010, 5:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS: 75K; DL/NW: Plat; DL SC: Lifetime; Hyatt: Diamond; HH: Gold; SPG: Plat;

In a few days, my wife and I will be flying DTW-NRT-SIN. We're both Plats, both flying on paid C class tickets. We're on two separate records - each one of us has his/her own PNR.

I've been double-checking our seats once a week or so, like any good FTer does...
Today, I noticed that while my wife is still booked in the bulkhead aisle I had originally assigner her, I no longer had a seat assignment (my seat assignment changed to the bulkhead window I had booked for myself to 'N/A' or something similar).

I called the NWA Elite Line and spoke to a supervisor, who confirmed that I had been moved out of my seat, but couldn't tell me why 'for security reasons.'

I stated that a typical 'security reason' person would want to be seated in an aisle, so that he can better respond to any potential situation, and not have to climb over a sleeping Mrs. Bostonbali.
The agent stated that 'they' now request to be seated in different places in the cabin so that nobody knows who they are...

My questions:
1) Is it likely that a FAM would want to be seated in a WINDOW seat instead of an aisle? I believe the middle section of a A332 would be ideal for a FAM, as he would be in an aisle, and could easily jump over to the other aisle if needed
2) I know it's a US aircraft, but how oftern do FAMs fly on intra-asia routes? More of a rhetorical question, I guess, but I find it a bit odd
3) What are the chances the FAM will switch seats with me once onboard so that I can actually sit with my wife? At this point, there are no 2 seats together anymore, though I can grab the window in row 2 (right behind the seat I was originally booked in).

First time I ever had a seat taken from me, and I'm just not sure I'm buying the 'we can't tell you because of security concern' line. Sounds like a possible excuse to me...

Thanks,
Bostonbali
Old Jan 12, 2010, 7:12 pm

Ask. The FAM's I know have no problem switching seats.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 7:33 pm

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
I agree it never hurts to ask. I have never seen a FAM with a window seat, but who knows now that they are trying to add more at the last minute.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
A bulkhead window in BE is not the same as a Domestic window seat. You pretty much have immediate access out to the aisle (with a slight jump when in full lie-flat) at any time. I think it is a good idea to mix it up. If they are always in an aisle in row 1 that in itself could be enough info to plan around.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 8:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by avidflyer
A bulkhead window in BE is not the same as a Domestic window seat. You pretty much have immediate access out to the aisle (with a slight jump when in full lie-flat) at any time. I think it is a good idea to mix it up. If they are always in an aisle in row 1 that in itself could be enough info to plan around.
I have had a FAM next to me in the window seat (2A) on a domestic (BUF-DTW) DC9 flight. I know that it was a FAM because I was doing a MR that involved a quick turn in BUF, and the FAs recognized me from the previous flight. They instantly thought I was the FAM . The guy had to go tell them that he was in fact that FAM and that they were making enough of a ruckus to be heard in row 2!
The part I haven't figured out yet is whether he was there by coincidence, or whether he was there to keep an eye on the guy flying the strange MSN-MSP-LAX-MSP-DTW-BUF-DTW-MSP-LAX-MSP-MSN itinerary in one weekend (with back to back LAX-MSP redeyes ).
Old Jan 12, 2010, 8:33 pm

Programs: DL PM; US Silver;Mariott+SPG+Hyatt Gold; Hertz 5*; National Car Emerald; Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by GBadger
... MSN-MSP-LAX-MSP-DTW-BUF-DTW-MSP-LAX-MSP-MSN itinerary in one weekend (with back to back LAX-MSP redeyes ).
ouch....
Old Jan 12, 2010, 8:36 pm

Programs: DL ♦M MM|HH♦|Marr Slvr|CO UA AA US|Pri Cub Plat|SPG|Avis 1st|Htz 5*
Originally Posted by troyintn
I agree it never hurts to ask. I have never seen a FAM with a window seat, but who knows now that they are trying to add more at the last minute.
I was the first to enter a domestic flight a few years back. In my FC row under the seat was a briefcase. I immediately notified the FA as I found this suspicious. Turned out it was a FAM who was in the lav as I was boarding and he owned the briefcase. He sat by the window and I had my assigned aisle seat. He never asked me to switch. Polite and pleasant man. Apparently they do choose window seats sometimes. Or at least they did at the time.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 8:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by GBadger
I have had a FAM next to me in the window seat (2A) on a domestic (BUF-DTW) DC9 flight. I know that it was a FAM because I was doing a MR that involved a quick turn in BUF, and the FAs recognized me from the previous flight. They instantly thought I was the FAM . The guy had to go tell them that he was in fact that FAM and that they were making enough of a ruckus to be heard in row 2!
The part I haven't figured out yet is whether he was there by coincidence, or whether he was there to keep an eye on the guy flying the strange MSN-MSP-LAX-MSP-DTW-BUF-DTW-MSP-LAX-MSP-MSN itinerary in one weekend (with back to back LAX-MSP redeyes ).
That's funny. I actually had the same thing happen but not on a mileage run it was just an FA that I see all the time. I always sit in 1B (1A on a 900) and she said to me when I got up to use the Lav "You are the FAM right?". As soon as I said no, but I see you almost every week" she looked to 1C and the FAM was looking right at us. BTW, I happened to be flying from MSN to MSP and on to SJC that particular flight. I love Madison and spent tons of time there on a Corporate acquisition. Great town!
Old Jan 13, 2010, 6:26 am

Programs: DL GM/MM
A bit off topic but a close friend was in one of the first group of FAMs back in the sixties. Mostly flew PA. Has great stories about almost everything but the relatively boring flights themselves!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.