Wiki Posts
Search

Best Premium Experience LAX-NRT

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2010, 8:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: SkyMiles Diamond Reserve, Starwood Gold, Hilton HHonors Gold
Best Premium Experience LAX-NRT

Looking to take the LAX-NRT trip in March, buying one ticket and using miles for my companion.

My ideal trip would be SQ in F, but I realize SM availability is always an issue without ample notice, and buying an F ticket on SQ on this route is a whopping $14K.

Willing to fly in business class, which is about $10K cheaper for the one ticket, but don't want to sacrifice comfort... Is SQ in business still an incredible product? (I've only ever flown SQ in Y, which was fine... but after flying in Eos/Emirates/Qatar premium cabins, I've become a bit snobby.)

Also willing to fly other airlines, though of late I've been underwhelmed by DL/NW premium products.

Any suggestions?
Old Jan 12, 2010, 8:47 am

Programs: Active: AA, UA, DL
I'd take UA on the B747 (not B777) as SQ doesn't have fully flat seats. Check with what KE is up to - I don't know how far they are with their deployment of flat beds in J.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 8:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Wiirachay
I'd take UA on the B747 (not B777) as SQ doesn't have fully flat seats. Check with what KE is up to - I don't know how far they are with their deployment of flat beds in J.

Thanks. I'll check on KE. Can't do UA, because I'd like to use SkyMiles for one of the two tickets... but it's good to know SQ doesn't have the flat seats on the B747.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 9:00 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
I'd say take SQ. It's definitely a better all-around product than DL/NW.

Korean Air also flies LAX-NRT. They used to have outdated equipment on that route, but they might have finally deployed some refurbished planes. If it's not the old seats, KE will be in the same league with SQ.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
It's funny isn't it that UA now has the best hard product to many routes beating even some of the best Asian carriers.

IMO, SQ is vastly overrated. I mean, it's a good airline with good service and product, but many people worship them. Asiana and All Nippon blow singapore out of the water. Overall, ANA would be your best choice to go to Japan, hands down. But if you must redeem skymiles, I suppose SQ is probably still your best option for overall experience, but just don't expect too much.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 9:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BlissWorld
IMO, SQ is vastly overrated. I mean, it's a good airline with good service and product, but many people worship them. Asiana and All Nippon blow singapore out of the water. Overall, ANA would be your best choice to go to Japan, hands down. But if you must redeem skymiles, I suppose SQ is probably still your best option for overall experience, but just don't expect too much.

This is what I was getting at -- thanks. Is anyone able to give me info on the difference between SQ business and first? If SQ tends to skimp in business, I'll probably take the KE route, because I just can't convince myself to shell out $14K on the non-skymiles ticket.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 5:05 pm

Programs: TK Gold, LH Silver, RAM Blue, KL/AF Blue
Also willing to fly other airlines, though of late I've been underwhelmed by DL/NW premium products.

Any suggestions?[/QUOTE]

hi jomomojo,
quite honestly, i would avoid korean air. i have flown on their c class between europe and korea and on from korea intra-asian (to mongolia and china) and found them very disappointing - very attentive staff, though not experienced to deal with english-speaking passengers, but terrible old fashioned seats, next to non-existent ife and mediocre food.
if i was you, i would choose all nippon airways (ana). their service is definitely at par with sq and easily beats nw and ua, nw is quite questioable anyway. i have both experienced ana's intercontinental f and c classes, both very amazing. absolutely great service, delicious food - especially if one chooses the kaiseki style sequence meal, impeccable ife, f seat is very comfortable to sleep on, c seat has an ever so slight angle, when fully reclined.
as they are star alliance, perhaps your miles may be spent on them, too?
all best, g
Old Jan 15, 2010, 5:32 pm

KE 2 from LAX-NRT-ICN is the new business version. I was on the NRT-ICN leg of it last month. Nice lay flat seat and the usual awesome KE service.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by jomomojo
Looking to take the LAX-NRT trip in March, buying one ticket and using miles for my companion.

My ideal trip would be SQ in F, but I realize SM availability is always an issue without ample notice, and buying an F ticket on SQ on this route is a whopping $14K.

Any suggestions?
How about SQ First for $7K? That's all it is for SQ's RTW First fare (FEZSQ). The only catch is you have to come home the long way (LAX-NRT-SIN-FRA-JFK or DME-IAH) and buy a separate ticket from JFK or IAH to get home. But it's SQ, you won't want to get off the plane anyway.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 6:03 pm

Programs: United 1K 2009, DL Diamond 2010, Hilton Diamond and Marriott Gold 2010
UA has inferior Business Class TPAC

Hello - if you think you'll have a Premium experience on UA LAX-NRT, you are sadly wrong. The upgraded UA Business Class seats are nice. However, the overall service is severely downgraded due to budget cuts. UA is desperate and continues to provide a seriously inferior Business Class product. When it comes to Cabin Attendants, you also will not be happy at UA. Their Attendants get their schedules based on Seniority. Most of the Attendants on UA TPAC are very senior and many are very overweight. Their focus on the customer is only during the meal services. Otherwise, their focus is on their crew rest and on reading magazines. Asiana, Korean, Thai, Singapore, ANA, and JAL are much better options than any US carrier.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 8:32 pm

Programs: DL DM/2.5MM, 20 Years Top Tier on DL, UA 1K, AC E75k, MR/SPG Lifetime Platinum
Buy a UA Z fare and buy the upgrade at checkin...

Originally Posted by FLYWORLDNOW
Hello - if you think you'll have a Premium experience on UA LAX-NRT, you are sadly wrong. The upgraded UA Business Class seats are nice. However, the overall service is severely downgraded due to budget cuts. UA is desperate and continues to provide a seriously inferior Business Class product. When it comes to Cabin Attendants, you also will not be happy at UA. Their Attendants get their schedules based on Seniority. Most of the Attendants on UA TPAC are very senior and many are very overweight. Their focus on the customer is only during the meal services. Otherwise, their focus is on their crew rest and on reading magazines. Asiana, Korean, Thai, Singapore, ANA, and JAL are much better options than any US carrier.
Agree 100% on soft product, but from the OP, I think that they are worried more about the HARD product. If I were the OP, I would buy a Z fare on UA (~$3300 RT) and then buy to F on checkin on UA (a bit of a gamble but I have had 100% success rate SFO/LAX<-->NRT in the last 12 months). The cost for Z-->F is ~$640 each way.

You will end up with moderately good service, a fantastic seat, and all for less than $5k.

LAX-NRT on DL is pathetic in comparison.

TFD

OP: Please PM me if you want details about this since this is more UA-specific than DL
Old Jan 15, 2010, 8:39 pm

Programs: CO Plat; UA 1K; EK Gold
Originally Posted by SFO777
How about SQ First for $7K? That's all it is for SQ's RTW First fare (FEZSQ). The only catch is you have to come home the long way (LAX-NRT-SIN-FRA-JFK or DME-IAH) and buy a separate ticket from JFK or IAH to get home. But it's SQ, you won't want to get off the plane anyway.
This is a great idea for the OP!!
Old Jan 15, 2010, 11:20 pm

Programs: UA 1.5K MM/SPG Plat/Various Random Golds lol
Originally Posted by FLYWORLDNOW
Only agree about 30% on the soft product. The hard product is what makes it worthwhile. FWIW, my last few transpacs on UA were not disappointing in the least. I am also a Delta PM and just can't bring myself to not lay flat in C on UA, even if the softproduct on UA gets a B-. I don't really like the FA's bothering me anyway. Serve the food, pour the drinks, take my silverware and plates, and then it's nighty night in the lie flat. Wake me up for breakfast. No problem on UA. ^

The problem is everyone is figuring this out and the C/J availability for UG's is far more scarce, and for ticket prices is up and away.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.