Wiki Posts
Search

Award trip + IRROPS = miles earned!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2010, 11:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM; UA; AA
Award trip + IRROPS = miles earned!

Well, the pros have no doubt already figured it all out from the title -- but there's a question, too; any insight will be appreciated.

So, the return portion of an award trip of mine was EU1-EU2-JFK, all in Business. The EU1-EU2 flight was cancelled due to weather, as was the next flight... bottom line, I got rerouted EU1-EU3-JFK, both segments on a European SkyTeam carrier. The nice part was that, there being no availability in O, the EU1 ticket agent rebooked me into D. Which, of course, means earning 1.5x miles!

Now, the miles for the TATL segment, EU3-JFK, are already in; the ones for EU1-EU3, not. There's still time -- however, if those don't show up (which is my suspicion), should I submit a claim to Delta?

The question is, obviously, whether a review is going to result in, "Wait a minute, this was an award itinerary. This guy shouldn't have gotten any miles to begin with!" Obviously, I don't want to risk forfeiting 5,000+ MQMs for the sake of obtaining some 1,500 :-) Or did the EU1 ticket agent actually do a totally legitimate thing? Meaning, once I got rebooked into D, I am entitled to the miles, period?
Old Jan 4, 2010, 11:23 am

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, MTA Rust, Hertz Five Star something or other
Don't email DL unless you want the miles taken away. Award tix (even with IRROPS) are not supposed to earn miles.
Old Jan 4, 2010, 11:26 am

Programs: DL AA UA
Originally Posted by StefanNYC
Well, the pros have no doubt already figured it all out from the title -- but there's a question, too; any insight will be appreciated.

So, the return portion of an award trip of mine was EU1-EU2-JFK, all in Business. The EU1-EU2 flight was cancelled due to weather, as was the next flight... bottom line, I got rerouted EU1-EU3-JFK, both segments on a European SkyTeam carrier. The nice part was that, there being no availability in O, the EU1 ticket agent rebooked me into D. Which, of course, means earning 1.5x miles!

Now, the miles for the TATL segment, EU3-JFK, are already in; the ones for EU1-EU3, not. There's still time -- however, if those don't show up (which is my suspicion), should I submit a claim to Delta?

The question is, obviously, whether a review is going to result in, "Wait a minute, this was an award itinerary. This guy shouldn't have gotten any miles to begin with!" Obviously, I don't want to risk forfeiting 5,000+ MQMs for the sake of obtaining some 1,500 :-) Or did the EU1 ticket agent actually do a totally legitimate thing? Meaning, once I got rebooked into D, I am entitled to the miles, period?
This is called looking a gift horse in the mouth. Do not complain about the 1,500 miles.
Old Jan 4, 2010, 11:29 am

I have a low risk tolerance, so I would lie low with a free 5k rather than roll the dice to potentially gain an additional 1500.
Old Jan 4, 2010, 12:49 pm

Programs: DL PM, DL 1MM, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Just be happy

Originally Posted by pitbrian
Don't email DL unless you want the miles taken away. Award tix (even with IRROPS) are not supposed to earn miles.
My mom, also DL PM, did have ~6,800 MQMs taken away by asking for the 750 she was "due" for the LAX connection flight. OUCH!
Old Jan 4, 2010, 12:58 pm

Programs: DL GM/SC/SkyBonus, UA (xCO), AS, AA, US, FL, Hilton Gold, Best Western Gold, Choice, Wyndham
If you get the miles, that's great. But do not request credit for flights that were flown on an award ticket. Remain silent, do not complain about miles you should never have received in the first place.
Old Jan 4, 2010, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Like all things, trying to fix things often screws things up more...
Old Jan 4, 2010, 2:17 pm
c_d

Programs: Feels like FO (AA EXP)
It's a lucky gift! I would say keep it and keep quiet. Howeverm they sometimes review the cases. My last IROP resulted in a rebooking in full Y and I got all the high-yield fare class bonusses. However, after a couple of weeks they deducted the additional miles. It says now fare class flown Y, fare bought L.

Anyway, I hope you get lucky!
Old Jan 4, 2010, 2:55 pm

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
+1 on the be glad with what you have.

Any EQM due to ir-ops on an award ticket to the ticketing carrier is a freebie, and should be open to removal.

Any EQM due to ir-ops on an award ticket to another carrier is part of being a member of FT.

Many have posted the joys of being ir-oped to another carrier, and claiming EQM on that operating carrier.

Works great domestic... not so great international, when you could be posting EQM to a carrier you're not likely to fly on (or redeem on) for a while.
Old Jan 4, 2010, 3:00 pm

Programs: Now just a lowly DL PM/1MM. This industry needs some competition. It's just not enjoyable anymore.
You do realize that DL revenue management is trying to track you down as we speak?
Old Jan 4, 2010, 5:15 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Try the online mileage credit system: http://dmn.delta.com/skymiles/requestsm/

It might be able to credit the missing flight automatically. Did they issue a new ticket number when they rebooked you? If not, then your original ticket number will show the award classes and this probably won't work.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 6:35 am
Original Poster

Thanks much to everyone for replying. "Let sleeping dogs lie" is how I felt about it myself... but it never hurts to double-check.

Almost at the risk of turning this into an academic discussion, though... The T&C page (https://www.delta.com/skymiles/about...ules/index.jsp) does say: "Mileage credit will not be given for <...> [f]ree tickets of any kind, including without limitation SkyMiles Award tickets". But if a segment in a ticket is issued in (converted to) a non-award class, can't one argue that the ticket is, strictly speaking, no longer an Award ticket?
Old Jan 5, 2010, 6:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DLdweeb
You do realize that DL revenue management is trying to track you down as we speak?
Now I'm really scared...
Seriously, well, I'm not going to turn myself in, since I've done absolutely nothing wrong. If they do eventually take the miles away... so be it. As per T&C, "Delta is the final authority on qualification for mileage credit", which I obviously accept.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.