Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Definitive "How To Search for Low Tier Business Awards"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Definitive "How To Search for Low Tier Business Awards"

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2011, 8:17 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by charlotteimmigration
So i just found this on Airfrance.us using the flying blue tool, sector to sector entry

JFK-LHR - DL 148

LHR-AMS (stopover) KLM

AMS-NBO (destination) KLM

NBO-LHR Kenya Airways (wait overnight for return to US)

LHR-FCO-JFK - Alitalia

All in business available on my dates,

Will DL allow me to book this itenary for the "low" 120K mileage each ?

and is alitalia any good for a day flight? food ought to be nice, right?
If they're AF classic awards, then yes, you should be able to book them for low mileage with DL. Since you've got KQ and AZ in there, you'll have to call to book.

I've only done AZ short-haul (maybe medium-haul if FCO-TLV fits that description), but I liked them. Sounds like they've been making great efforts to improve, especially their TATL flights. There've been reports in the ST forum that their food is indeed nice, at least in business. What aircraft is the FCO-JFK segment on? Apparently the 777s are long in the tooth, but the A330-300s are shiny and new. The 777s might be going in for a refit this winter, from what I've gathered.

ETA: You might have issues booking the return, as it's over the MPM. Can you route via MXP on AZ? That comes in under 9K miles, and the MPM is 9080. However, NBO-LHR-FCO-JFK clocks in at 9419.

Last edited by mtkeller; Jun 16, 2011 at 8:25 am Reason: MPM note.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 8:47 am

Programs: A few
Yes you should be able to book that for 120k

Alitalia will be fine during the day. Indeed FCO-JFK may have the A330 with the flat bed product, but maybe not. But either way without needing sleep should be pleasant enough and sure better than coach on any airline
Old Jun 20, 2011, 8:08 am

Programs: AA CK
Low Awards to TPE?

Been clicking through the broken awards calendar this past weekend and all I've been able to find were some mid-level awards at 120K-150K. Two things I discovered after countless times of clicking through the calendar:

- there were several times the award ticket is showing an outrageous price at 345K, and if you click through, it reduces to 220K or lower.
- the TPE - NRT route seems to be completely off and unavailable through any search. However, if you chose to automatically route from TPE - ATL, or any other routes originating from TPE - North America, the TPE-NRT segment will show up with mid level award prices (120K or so).

Anyone have experience booking business/first award tickets from North America to TPE with Skymiles? I'm assuming that partner awards through China Airlines may be my best choice.. any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 8:15 am

Programs: Happily off the elite hamster wheel
Originally Posted by byroshi
Been clicking through the broken awards calendar this past weekend and all I've been able to find were some mid-level awards at 120K-150K. Two things I discovered after countless times of clicking through the calendar:

- there were several times the award ticket is showing an outrageous price at 345K, and if you click through, it reduces to 220K or lower.
- the TPE - NRT route seems to be completely off and unavailable through any search. However, if you chose to automatically route from TPE - ATL, or any other routes originating from TPE - North America, the TPE-NRT segment will show up with mid level award prices (120K or so).

Anyone have experience booking business/first award tickets from North America to TPE with Skymiles? I'm assuming that partner awards through China Airlines may be my best choice.. any advise would be greatly appreciated.
I haven't personally done a TPAC to TPE, but don't forget to also check out MH from LAX-TPE. Who knows how long they will be around now that they joined OW.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
One other alternative is working around the Korean Air blackout dates. China Airlines and KE represent a lot of capacity into TPE that isn't award searchable online via delta.com.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 3:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Misc. others
De-lurking...

So I utilized the great resources of this forum and was able to book an award ticket (all F or J) in December from SFO-SLC-JFK-FCO-CTA (final destination) and returning in March CTA-FCO-ATL-SAN. 100k miles, less than $100 in fees! The DL agent said it was the first time he had ever been able to book an award on Alitalia at all, so that made everyone's saturday.

I was pretty darn proud of myself, until I got word the husband's work plans have changed, and we will actually not be returning until the end of May 2012. Obviously it's too early to search for seats, but I'm wondering what the best strategy is for changing the return leg of my trip. I have lots of miles, but no status, so I know I have some hefty fees coming my way, but I'd like to keep the miles low. Can I change my return (finding "low" awards) without my outbound legs repricing?

Thanks!!!
Old Jun 23, 2011, 3:53 am

Originally Posted by tebfunk
So I utilized the great resources of this forum and was able to book an award ticket (all F or J) in December from SFO-SLC-JFK-FCO-CTA (final destination) and returning in March CTA-FCO-ATL-SAN. 100k miles, less than $100 in fees! The DL agent said it was the first time he had ever been able to book an award on Alitalia at all, so that made everyone's saturday.

I was pretty darn proud of myself, until I got word the husband's work plans have changed, and we will actually not be returning until the end of May 2012. Obviously it's too early to search for seats, but I'm wondering what the best strategy is for changing the return leg of my trip. I have lots of miles, but no status, so I know I have some hefty fees coming my way, but I'd like to keep the miles low. Can I change my return (finding "low" awards) without my outbound legs repricing?

Thanks!!!
You're supposed to be able to change the return without the outbound legs repricing. There've been mixed reports on success in doing so. I would guess it might turn into one of those "If you don't like the first answer you get, thank the agent for calling, hang up, and try again." situations.
Old Jun 23, 2011, 4:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by tebfunk
You should certainly be able to change just the return. I'd keep on eye on the return segments, and if there is a schedule change, it might help to get a free change. Otherwise, just check for awards from your destination, and see if you can find low ones.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 9:13 pm

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
I have a 48-hour hold on the following for 150,000 miles (in roughly 5 weeks). All flights except for BRE->AMS are BE.

How did I do?

LGA -> ATL DL 781
ATL -> STR DL 116

BRE -> AMS KL 1750
AMS -> ERW DL 57
Old Jul 5, 2011, 8:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Looking for SFO-FLR for next May and SFO-HKG for this November.

First, the SFO-FLR only comes up as 100k if I go through LAX. I called Delta and they claim there are no AF flights in the system for next May, not even the CDG-FLR segments which come up.

I have an FB account but they're not letting you choose dates for the latter half of May.

SFO-HKG in BE for Thanksgiving week (11/20 to 11/25) is coming up 170k at a minimum. They can't be serious can they?
Old Jul 6, 2011, 1:11 am

Originally Posted by wco81
Looking for SFO-FLR for next May and SFO-HKG for this November.

First, the SFO-FLR only comes up as 100k if I go through LAX. I called Delta and they claim there are no AF flights in the system for next May, not even the CDG-FLR segments which come up.

I have an FB account but they're not letting you choose dates for the latter half of May.

SFO-HKG in BE for Thanksgiving week (11/20 to 11/25) is coming up 170k at a minimum. They can't be serious can they?
AF does seem to lag a bit on the earliest an award is bookable.

As to SFO-HKG, which direction is pricing out at low? There's business availability HKG-CAN-LAX on 25 Nov on CZ, but nothing outbound to get there. You might call about KE, as your dates don't fall within DL's (mis)interpretation of their blackout dates. No way to check KE online, and some here have reported miserable TPAC availability, but just a couple weeks ago I snagged LHR-ICN-MEL in Prestige class on KE with no hassles. (Other benefit to KE is no YQ, whereas you'll have to pay it on CZ.) If you can combine low DL one way with a partner the other, that might be the way to go.

Your info doesn't indicate if you have status, so if you're PM or DM, you could book the 170K award and hope that it comes up at low on both directions at the last minute and have it re-priced. (In any case, I'd book the low direction and then try to have an agent try to add partner routings.)
Old Jul 6, 2011, 8:07 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
I'm a GM.

Actually, I misstated the miles. It's well over 200k for November.

I tried later July dates (2 weeks from now) just to see if there was better availability nearer the actual departure. That's where the one 170k routing turned up, SFO-NRT-HKG on DL metal.

It would cost me $150 to change whatever awards I try to change later.
Old Jul 8, 2011, 2:47 pm

Help

I am looking for biz class award from IAH - BOM (Middle of dec) and return 2nd week of Jan. Till last year using multi city tool i was able to get DL award booking site to show me AF options via CDG. Sadly all those routings are vanished and it gives me real funky routing if i simply do IAH-BOM return trip.

Any help/ideas/thoughts would be appreciated. Does KVS tool help (saw a post a few pages ago). Currently have no elite status.

Thanks!
Old Jul 8, 2011, 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by bomaab
I am looking for biz class award from IAH - BOM (Middle of dec) and return 2nd week of Jan. Till last year using multi city tool i was able to get DL award booking site to show me AF options via CDG. Sadly all those routings are vanished and it gives me real funky routing if i simply do IAH-BOM return trip.

Any help/ideas/thoughts would be appreciated. Does KVS tool help (saw a post a few pages ago). Currently have no elite status.

Thanks!
Sign up for a FlyingBlue account on airfrance.us. You can search awards there without having any miles, and their flexible search actually works. If you find a classic award in business, it should be bookable through DL. Ignore the miles and taxes/fees AF quotes, as DL's will be different (but it will be at DL's low mileage levels). Write down the flights you find on af.us and do a search by schedule on DL.dumb to book (or call).

There is some availability in the vicinity of your dates, but not exactly what you're looking for, it seems.
Old Jul 9, 2011, 12:27 pm

Programs: Spg Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by mtkeller
Sign up for a FlyingBlue account on airfrance.us. You can search awards there without having any miles, and their flexible search actually works. If you find a classic award in business, it should be bookable through DL. Ignore the miles and taxes/fees AF quotes, as DL's will be different (but it will be at DL's low mileage levels). Write down the flights you find on af.us and do a search by schedule on DL.dumb to book (or call).

There is some availability in the vicinity of your dates, but not exactly what you're looking for, it seems.
Thanks for that tool. I will start familiarizing myself with it in my ongoing education

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.