Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Definitive "How To Search for Low Tier Business Awards"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Definitive "How To Search for Low Tier Business Awards"

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2013, 6:16 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by wco81
Free change on the return is for Platinums and Diamonds or for all Medallions?
PM/DM only.

Originally Posted by bob17412
Thanks. Good to know. Will look for a low dummy return and then change. If I can't find any low mileage flights will just keep looking. The return is from a different city but that shouldn't effect ability to change. Any chance the change could impact the mileage requirements on the front end flight - could it change to a mid or high mileage even though it was booked initially at low mileage?
With a competent agent, it won't affect things. You just need to be clear that you want to hang onto segments A, B, and C and only make changes to D, E and F. If they say they can't do that, tell them the UPS guy is at the door/dog needs to be let out/whatever, thank them, and hang up and call back later.
Old Jul 9, 2013, 10:41 am

Programs: Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, HIlton Diamond
I just spent a bunch of time on the phone with the DL agent who was as nice as can be and spent a ton of time trying to figure out why I couldn't add an open AMS-BCN segment to my SEA-AMS, BIO-CDG-SEA itin even though it showed that it was available. IN the end, after spending 30 minutes with a supervisor and KLM, she said she couldn't add it because it was a married segment and the only way to do it would be to release the SEA-AMS section and try booking the whole thing as one search but of course there's no way to guarantee that once she releases the seats from SEA-AMS that she'll ever get them back.

I think I'm going to have to buy one-way tickets on Vueling from AMS-BCN. I don't see any other way around this. Anybody else have any ideas?
Old Jul 9, 2013, 4:16 pm

Programs: SQ
You could HUACA until it works...

Or try to route through CDG and see if that works

I keep doing some dummy bookings on DL.dumb to OTP and it never works with the OTP segment added, but to AMS works fine
Old Jul 9, 2013, 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by benzemalyonnais
You could HUACA until it works...

Or try to route through CDG and see if that works

I keep doing some dummy bookings on DL.dumb to OTP and it never works with the OTP segment added, but to AMS works fine
Is the error you are getting "flight just sold out"?
Old Jul 9, 2013, 6:15 pm

Programs: SQ
Originally Posted by michael_v
Is the error you are getting "flight just sold out"?
Yes - I know those flights aren't 'sold out' too
Old Jul 9, 2013, 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by benzemalyonnais
Yes - I know those flights aren't 'sold out' too
That has been going on for some time with KL now. However the married segments excuse is relatively new.
Old Jul 10, 2013, 9:49 am

I've called a number of times and this last time the rep really tried to help. She didn't really understand the problem but even with a supervisor and KLM couldn't get it in.

I really don't understand the married segment rule. I can book this thing separately but I can't add it to my reservation? It doesn't make any sense.

I'd like to escalate this somehow but I'm not sure the best way. I'm aware my chances of getting a resolution are infinitely small but where would i start?
Old Jul 10, 2013, 9:51 am

And strangely, it looks like they threw a connection into my reservation but it's just sitting there as "unconfirmed". I'm guessing this is a waitlist that'll never clear? I thought it might disappear overnight but its still there.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 12:31 am

Programs: AS MVP 75K
Award pricing gurus, need some inputs for Aug-Oct travel:
HKG-NRT (OD)
NRT-SFO (O)
SFO-NRT (O)
NRT-HKG (OD)
All Delta metal J, ticketed at 180,000. Delta rep tells me it's due to the more expensive HKG segments (OD).
a) Is it just a matter of checking often if a one-way HKG-NRT (and vv) segment in J shows up and prices at 45k (low intra-Asia segment), then calling to have my itin modified?
b) If the outbound segment has been flown, can the return still be re-priced should a low-priced NRT-HKG J seat free up? How many miles would be redeposited if that happens?
Thanks!

Last edited by wp_kid; Jul 17, 2013 at 12:34 am Reason: all Delta metal
Old Jul 17, 2013, 7:50 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by wp_kid
HKG-NRT (OD)
NRT-SFO (O)
SFO-NRT (O)
NRT-HKG (OD)
All Delta metal J, ticketed at 180,000. Delta rep tells me it's due to the more expensive HKG segments (OD).
a) Is it just a matter of checking often if a one-way HKG-NRT (and vv) segment in J shows up and prices at 45k (low intra-Asia segment), then calling to have my itin modified?
b) If the outbound segment has been flown, can the return still be re-priced should a low-priced NRT-HKG J seat free up? How many miles would be redeposited if that happens?
Thanks!
First, if there's low Y available for your HKG-NRT-HKG portion, I'd switch to that and save the 60K now. The flight's not long enough to be worth the extra miles. If only medium Y is available, I might stay with medium J, as it's worth the small difference between medium Y and medium J.

I'm honestly not sure what will happen if you fly the outbound at medium and then the return opens up at low and you make the change. You might get nothing back, you might get 30K back, or you might get 10K back (pricing the outbound at 110K and the return at 60K).
Old Jul 19, 2013, 3:46 am

Why not NRT-ICN/TPE/PVG/CAN/NKG-HKG instead and save the 60K miles?
Old Jul 19, 2013, 10:37 pm

Programs: AS MVP 75K
Originally Posted by belfordrocks
Why not NRT-ICN/TPE/PVG/CAN/NKG-HKG instead and save the 60K miles?
Unfortunately the connections don't work well for the NRT-SFO-NRT times thanks for the suggestion though
Old Jul 22, 2013, 12:49 pm

Delta Business Class award travel BLR - JFK

Hi folks,

I'm new to the world of miles and points so posting here hoping for some expert advice:

I'm interested in booking 2 one-way Business class tickets between BLR - JFK. I have 50K skymiles points and can potentially convert 85K Amex MR to skymiles to get a total of ~120K miles - which i hope should be sufficient for my requirements.

I've heard it's more difficult to book award travel on Delta, compared to AA, United or US air..hence any advice will be great!

Thanks much.
Old Jul 22, 2013, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by jyotsanakumar
Hi folks,

I'm new to the world of miles and points so posting here hoping for some expert advice:

I'm interested in booking 2 one-way Business class tickets between BLR - JFK. I have 50K skymiles points and can potentially convert 85K Amex MR to skymiles to get a total of ~120K miles - which i hope should be sufficient for my requirements.

I've heard it's more difficult to book award travel on Delta, compared to AA, United or US air..hence any advice will be great!

Thanks much.
Delta does not allow one-way award tickets. Actually, it does, but you must pay the round-trip price.
Old Jul 23, 2013, 12:02 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by wp_kid
HKG-NRT (OD)
NRT-SFO (O)
SFO-NRT (O)
NRT-HKG (OD)
Thanks!
Are you PM or above? If so, my advice:

1. Buy NRT-SFO-NRT in low J.
2. Monitor HKG-NRT and vv for low J, and also keep tabs on fare bucket availability or price for the RT. you can get this ticket as low as USD$200-250 in Y.
3. If HKG-NRT opens in low J, add it on. If it doesn't and the flight seems to be filling up, pay for it in Y and sit in EC.

IMO it is not worth the significant difference in miles to save USD$250 and sit in J HKG-NRT vs Y.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.