Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Definitive "How To Search for Low Tier Business Awards"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Definitive "How To Search for Low Tier Business Awards"

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2013, 12:15 am

Programs: SQ
There are Several ways to get from NRT to HKG in J that you can consider.
Old Jul 23, 2013, 4:45 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by benzemalyonnais
There are Several ways to get from NRT to HKG in J that you can consider.
But IME combining a flight on partner metal with a TPAC on DL metal will result in a broken fare and charge for multiple awards. Might as well just buy the medium level on DL metal. Also a lot of the scheduling of partner metal isn't too compatible with DL TPACs but there are a few gems out there.
Old Jul 23, 2013, 7:41 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by HongKonger
But IME combining a flight on partner metal with a TPAC on DL metal will result in a broken fare and charge for multiple awards.
Not if the DL flights are low. I booked HKG-MU-PVG-DL-NRT-DL-ATL-DL-OMA as a single low fare. It does sometimes (mainly with MU) trigger obscene amounts of YQ, but persistence will get that audited and refunded.
Old Jul 24, 2013, 2:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Africa Booking Issues

Hi - new here.

Am a DM with over 1M miles. Trying to fly business award ticket from JFK to JRO (oct 25) and then CPT to JFK (nov 9). I'm flying local airline between JRO and CPT, so don't need that connection.

When I search Delta.com I get absolutely nothing. The engine doesn't even work.

When I search KLM/Flying Blue, I see very limited inventory at 480,000 miles plus over 800 Euros.

Is there somewhere else I can search, something else I can do to find a lower tier business award?

Much thanks!
Old Jul 25, 2013, 4:04 am

Often there's good space on JFK-ACC on DL metal, then use KQ for the rest.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 8:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by mtkeller
Not if the DL flights are low. I booked HKG-MU-PVG-DL-NRT-DL-ATL-DL-OMA as a single low fare. It does sometimes (mainly with MU) trigger obscene amounts of YQ, but persistence will get that audited and refunded.
True. I should have qualified my statement with that.
Old Jul 27, 2013, 2:20 pm
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
I just put an award res on hold for BOS-LHR R/T next May in BE

I tried to use Virgin metal (Delta codeshares) but was told that only coach awards are allowed on Virgin's operated flights
Old Jul 27, 2013, 4:53 pm

Programs: ??????????
Originally Posted by Lomapaseo
...I tried to use Virgin metal (Delta codeshares) but was told that only coach awards are allowed on Virgin's operated flights
That is just flat out wrong. Call back if you want to be on virgin metal ... personally for how short the flight is and the equipment Delta operates, I wouldn't bother.
Old Jul 28, 2013, 2:31 pm

Programs: SQ
Good luck finding Virgin in Biz.....at first the availability was reasonable, but now it's tough. I'm flying them next week and had to fly into IAD and leave 2 days early to make it happen....
Old Jul 29, 2013, 5:43 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
I just successfully put on hold for 100,000 SkyMiles per ticket:

JFK - SVO - LED (stopover)
LED - SVO - SIP (destination)
SIP - SVO (24 hour layover; yes exactly 24 hours arrives 10:25AM leaves 10:25AM+1)
SVO - YYZ - ATL (finish)

YYZ - ATL is in coach. Taxes and fees are $470 a ticket due to Aeroflot's YQ.

Weird thing is, we had ATL - JFK in there as the first segment. With this in, the mileage came to 125,000 per ticket. When I asked them to ask the rates desk to recalculate this, they said that my routing exceeded the maximum miles flown for a 100,000 award, so the system was adding another 25,000 points. I asked, is this the MPM? They said no, this is different seperate calculation. The rates desk wouldn't give the formula to the agent. She removed ATL - JFK (which is $118 as a seperate ticket), and voila 100,000 SkyMiles per ticket.

Weird huh?

Other note, I blogged about here, but when searching SU looking at the direct flight there is no availability, but when you put in a connection availability opens up... WEIRD
Old Jul 30, 2013, 5:04 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Your violation was of the four segments per direction rule. Regardless of whether LED or SIP is your destination or stopover, you would have had five segments in one direction or the other, which causes a fare break.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 5:27 am

Programs: DL PM, AMEX DL RSV
Originally Posted by mtkeller
Wherever you read that was lying. The best time is about three days out, but
outside of that, there's little rhyme or reason to when space opens up. Often see it at 10 months or even closer in for the initial offering of low space.

To avoid issues, book a dummy return when you book the outbound and then just make your free change whenever you see what you want for the return. They cannot merge them if you book them separately, and DL's systems are notorious for failing to recognize a change from a one-way at 100K to a r/t at 100K and you might get a random amount. If you're replacing the return, it should be straightforward.
Tried booking for end of june next year - DTW - BGO. Found outbound I wanted and a "dummy" return but wouldn't book online so called agent. Agent said they couldn't book either routing because flights involved partners KLM and AF in ticketing and was told those award seats don't become available until 10 months prior. I could find the flights on Delta site but agree they weren't available when checked AF site online. Told agent what was trying to do and he said if you can get the front end one way flight to book online, book it and then when I find a low level return call and they can grab the first one way and connect them.

Two questions - was he blowing smoke and is it true you can't grab a partner award for KLM or AF until 10 months before the travel date. Right now I am about 11 months out.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 11:10 am

Originally Posted by bob17412
Tried booking for end of june next year - DTW - BGO. Found outbound I wanted and a "dummy" return but wouldn't book online so called agent. Agent said they couldn't book either routing because flights involved partners KLM and AF in ticketing and was told those award seats don't become available until 10 months prior. I could find the flights on Delta site but agree they weren't available when checked AF site online. Told agent what was trying to do and he said if you can get the front end one way flight to book online, book it and then when I find a low level return call and they can grab the first one way and connect them.

Two questions - was he blowing smoke and is it true you can't grab a partner award for KLM or AF until 10 months before the travel date. Right now I am about 11 months out.
You can book AF/KL 11 months out. For example, on delta.com, you can book IAH-CDG AF 639 on 6/23/2014. In your case, it may have been an issue of "married segments" which we have seen being reported lately. Just a wild guess.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 12:07 pm

Programs: DL PM, AMEX DL RSV
Originally Posted by michael_v
You can book AF/KL 11 months out. For example, on delta.com, you can book IAH-CDG AF 639 on 6/23/2014. In your case, it may have been an issue of "married segments" which we have seen being reported lately. Just a wild guess.
Thanks, kept looking and put holds on segment DTW - AMS and AMS - BGO with dummy return of AMS - DTW. Now I just have to be able to get an agent to link them together without "marrying the segments" although I don't know what that is. Any thought about the agents comment about booking the one way and not worrying about a "dummy return". Thanks for all the help. Hard to believe how much time is wasted revisiting "delta dumb" site. Thank goodness I read the first post in this thread or would have given up.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by bob17412
Any thought about the agents comment about booking the one way and not worrying about a "dummy return".
If you're booking business low level one direction, add a return in coach, you'll save a bunch of miles.

Example would be 1 way business with no dummy return: 100,000 miles, dummy return in coach would book for 80,000 miles total, saving you 20k miles. Might even be able to experiment with another zone, and book the one way there and save even more?

Good advice to follow: when a delta agent tells you not to worry about something, worry about it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.