Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Definitive "How To Search for Low Tier Business Awards"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Definitive "How To Search for Low Tier Business Awards"

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2013, 10:46 pm
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
I don't know why but the israeli line (israeli delta) has a change fee of 137$ and not the normal 150$
Old Apr 21, 2013, 12:26 am

Originally Posted by flymanbeast
I don't know why but the israeli line (israeli delta) has a change fee of 137$ and not the normal 150$
Maybe they charge 500 NIS?
Old Apr 22, 2013, 8:06 pm

Programs: SW, UA, IHG Plat, Hilton, Marriott
Just wanted to update everyone on my search for 2 low level business seats from DCA to NRT.

Let me preface, I initially gave up on finding 2 low level award seats on business from DCA to NRT so I decided to just book economy for both my wife and I. Well, turns out when I did this it would put my wife in economy for 70k but when I tried to select the same flights for myself Delta was putting me in low business on the 'over-the-water' flights and economy on all others for 120k. I decided to call Delta and spoke to a great agent who understood my desire to sit with my wife on all the flights. Agent said he could overbook 2 low biz tix to get my my wife on the 'over-the-water' flights at 120k instead of 70k. I said of course!

I know all the legs aren't all business but atleast the 'over the water' flights are on business. So I guess, it is possible to get 2 low level business awards by talking to Delta agents, if their willing to help.

BTW, flights are as follows:
DCA->MSP->NRT
NRT->DTW->DCA
Old Apr 24, 2013, 5:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Hi Guys. New to DL redemption's so need some help.

Looking at doing this routing

USA-CDG (stop two month's) DEL (stop one month) - USA

Tried finding KLM/AF flights with CS+ award seats and picking them one by one on all the routes but it prices up at something like 400k or 290k for a Business return.

What am I doing wrong? Do I need to call it in to get a 120k return ticket? I am allowed one stop on a r/t journey so the stop in CDG should't trigger extra miles?
Old Apr 24, 2013, 5:56 am

It looks fine, so just call.

Though SM is having issues getting KLM awards i.e. phantom space and whatnot.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 6:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by belfordrocks
It looks fine, so just call.

Though SM is having issues getting KLM awards i.e. phantom space and whatnot.
Yeah I have seen that happen online. I can select the KLM flights but then last page it says that some of the flights are now sold out.

So basically I need to find C+ on AF and KLM. Can I also route via DL transatlantic? If so do I need C+ available.

If all reward seats are in C+ will I get it for 120k return? Any chance the website will price this up?
Old Apr 24, 2013, 6:47 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
What is C+? Are you using KVS? Very few of us use it for finding DL award space because it just pulls from DL.dumb (buggy and with phantom KL space) or AF.us (space not available to DL) or, if you know where to look, the JL website for AF space only.

I'd use ExpertFlyer to find the AF/KL space. The AF space won't be phantom and will be available to DL. Unfortunately, the KL space might still be phantom. Also search DL TATL routes and look for it to price as low (100K is the lowest, since there's no such thing as a one-way priced award on DL). You should then be able to assemble everything via multi-city.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 7:01 am

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
I just wanted to share a low-level (100,000), short-notice success story.

JFK-BRU in a few weeks. Non-stop on DL up front. Outbound and return dates were available. I was particularly pleased when I saw the fare would be $6,400 otherwise.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mtkeller
What is C+? Are you using KVS? Very few of us use it for finding DL award space because it just pulls from DL.dumb (buggy and with phantom KL space) or AF.us (space not available to DL) or, if you know where to look, the JL website for AF space only.

I'd use ExpertFlyer to find the AF/KL space. The AF space won't be phantom and will be available to DL. Unfortunately, the KL space might still be phantom. Also search DL TATL routes and look for it to price as low (100K is the lowest, since there's no such thing as a one-way priced award on DL). You should then be able to assemble everything via multi-city.
Yeah I was using KVS. So why is a award not pricing up which shows space available from USA to India. Its coming up as 400k. What am I doing wrong?

What exactly do I need to find? If DL has seat and AF has seat but still its coming up as higher amount?
Old Apr 24, 2013, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by onlysuites
Yeah I was using KVS. So why is a award not pricing up which shows space available from USA to India. Its coming up as 400k. What am I doing wrong?

What exactly do I need to find? If DL has seat and AF has seat but still its coming up as higher amount?
Potential issues are an invalid routing or that the segments aren't actually pricing the way you think they are. Search each segment on its own on DL.dumb as a one-way. If you post the segments and what DL.dumb is pricing them as (including class of service), we can probably figure out what's up. Just saying it's coming up as 400K is not useful.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Potential issues are an invalid routing or that the segments aren't actually pricing the way you think they are. Search each segment on its own on DL.dumb as a one-way. If you post the segments and what DL.dumb is pricing them as (including class of service), we can probably figure out what's up. Just saying it's coming up as 400K is not useful.
Thanks for your help. I will have a play around and then post some segments.

So technically if each segment comes up as a one way then what should I do? Punch it in on the multi segment?

What should a USA-India with a stop in Paris price up in low season as? 120k?
Old Apr 24, 2013, 12:22 pm

Thanks for your help. I will have a play around and then post some segments.

So technically if each segment comes up as a one way then what should I do? Punch it in on the multi segment?
Once you find segments that price as low, put them together using multi-city. Be sure to have written down the dates and flight numbers.

What should a USA-India with a stop in Paris price up in low season as? 120k?
There's no such thing as "low season" for DL. Flights can price as low, medium, or high, but there's no seasonality to it. If all segments are at low and you follow a valid routing, US-India in J will be 120K.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 4:37 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Arrow

Tried finding KLM/AF flights with CS+ award seats and picking them one by one on all the routes but it prices up at something like 400k or 290k for a Business return.

What am I doing wrong? Do I need to call it in to get a 120k return ticket?
What are the flight #s/dates?

Yeah I was using KVS.
Actually, the KVS Tool has 5 different data sources for AF Award Availability and can display both partner Award Availability (that is accessible to DL SM members), as well as additional Availability that is accessible to FB members.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 5:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Once you find segments that price as low, put them together using multi-city. Be sure to have written down the dates and flight numbers.
Thanks will try this.

Originally Posted by KVS
What are the flight #s/dates?

I will have a look again and post after giving the above post a shot.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 5:56 am
Suspended

Looking into Taipei for a week in November. I'm seeing 220k, pp, for business class. Normal?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.