Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Definitive "How To Search for Low Tier Business Awards"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Definitive "How To Search for Low Tier Business Awards"

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2013, 8:24 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
Flights on Air France or KLM metal don't necessarily translate. But I think the question is if CZ availability on AF.us will translate to DL availability, which it does. If you get an agent who says it isn't available, when AF.us shows CZ flights available, just call back for a new agent.
Old Mar 9, 2013, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mtkeller
MH publishes a fare AMS-LON/FRA/CDG-KUL-MLE. Despite it being over the MPM, it seems like this might be bookable.

In theory, yes. It won't price as you want online, from my experience, but it may work with a phone rep. I'd make sure you know the availability in advance and feed it to them.
Are you using ITA/EF or another tool to get published routings on MH?
Old Mar 9, 2013, 7:55 pm

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by mnredfox
Are you using ITA/EF or another tool to get published routings on MH?
I use EF to check routing rules.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 12:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mtkeller
I use EF to check routing rules.
Thanks
Old Mar 10, 2013, 8:35 pm

Hey everyone,

First time poster here. Looking for low award mileage tickets from MSN/ORD/MKE to HNL or ideally KOA. So is the best way to approach this looking at partners websites? Going straight through delta they want 135k miles 0.0. Time is middle of May.

Thanks!

Last edited by mojo2121; Mar 10, 2013 at 9:13 pm
Old Mar 13, 2013, 1:06 pm

Programs: SW, UA, IHG Plat, Hilton, Marriott
Originally Posted by kswiss
Wife and me going to Japan. I was able find a low level BE using some of the things I learned here. But only one seat. I tried 2 seats and got nowhere. I even tried pulling the low level up on 2 different computers using 2 different SM accounts, which did work, but when I tried simultaneously clicking purchase, only got one of them.

Do I have any options other than buying a BE ticket? Still not a bad deal I guess. I can't find any upgrade able coach fares.
Ha, looks like we're on the same boat. FWIW, I've looked into all the different possibilities and the only way to do it is flying on CZ LAX-CAN-HND in Business but I'm hesistant to do that many stops and backtrack through CAN plus I believe there's a high fuel surcharge. I've given up and looking to maybe upgrading to Economy Comfort on the Economy Award tix on the legs going over the water (if thats even possible).

I haven't tried calling Delta though.

Please let me know if you have any luck.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 1:16 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, HIlton Diamond
I finally found a SEA-AMS flight in J for 2 in October but struggling to find a return. Checking AMS-SEA, CDG-SEA, CDG-SFO, AMS-YVR but it is tough going. As a Plat, I can just ticket the one-way now until I find the return, right? There aren't any penalties as far as I can tell.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by eternalX
I finally found a SEA-AMS flight in J for 2 in October but struggling to find a return. Checking AMS-SEA, CDG-SEA, CDG-SFO, AMS-YVR but it is tough going. As a Plat, I can just ticket the one-way now until I find the return, right? There aren't any penalties as far as I can tell.
I am seeing AMS-BOS-SEA on 10/23 with AMS-BOS in DL J and BOS-SEA in AS Y.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 12:37 am

Programs: delta united
Originally Posted by nolimit186
Ha, looks like we're on the same boat. FWIW, I've looked into all the different possibilities and the only way to do it is flying on CZ LAX-CAN-HND in Business but I'm hesistant to do that many stops and backtrack through CAN plus I believe there's a high fuel surcharge. I've given up and looking to maybe upgrading to Economy Comfort on the Economy Award tix on the legs going over the water (if thats even possible).

I haven't tried calling Delta though.

Please let me know if you have any luck.

best i could do at the low/medium level was 95k in coach, again not bad. but the wife didn't like that we were not sitting together. forget about flying a different airline. so i bought the z fare, we are sitting together on the same flight. i guess it cost me 120000 miles for a buy one/get one fare.

it was tricky purchasing the same flights though. they didn't show up. had to play around with multi city to find it.

btw this was msp to nrt in june.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 9:34 am

Programs: SW, UA, IHG Plat, Hilton, Marriott
Originally Posted by kswiss
best i could do at the low/medium level was 95k in coach, again not bad. but the wife didn't like that we were not sitting together. forget about flying a different airline. so i bought the z fare, we are sitting together on the same flight. i guess it cost me 120000 miles for a buy one/get one fare.

it was tricky purchasing the same flights though. they didn't show up. had to play around with multi city to find it.

btw this was msp to nrt in june.
I'm confused. So you paid out of pocket for a Z-fare and you paid for the other seat using 120k miles? Did you find a good deal on Z?
Old Mar 15, 2013, 9:28 am

Programs: Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, HIlton Diamond
Originally Posted by michael_v
I am seeing AMS-BOS-SEA on 10/23 with AMS-BOS in DL J and BOS-SEA in AS Y.
oh yea, i see that. Thanks for sharing. Interesting that there are $330 fees per person on that flight but not on the AMS-SEA flight
Old Mar 15, 2013, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by eternalX
oh yea, i see that. Thanks for sharing. Interesting that there are $330 fees per person on that flight but not on the AMS-SEA flight
When searching flights from Europe one-way, ignore the fees, because they will go away once you search the US-Europe round-trip.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 10:05 am

Programs: Delta DM, Lufthansa Miles & More
Please be gentle, I am trying hard to understand all of this, but must admit that having read quite a bit on FT I am getting more, rather than less confused.

I am traveling to Asia on business, and my company, a non-profit, pays only for low tier economy. I would have no problems topping up to get pay on my own for low tier biz class. The trans Pacifics are painfully long... sleeping and eating a decent meal would be a goodsend.

I am a DL Platinum and easily make platinum each year with BIS economy flying, so if possible I would like to fly on DL or DL partners to gain the maximum miles. I currently have 80K miles available, of which 33,500 of MQM this year to date.

My itinerary (or rather, the bits I am most interested in accessing a biz class seat on are as follows (draft itinerary from our corporate travel agent who is useless on biz fare searching):

Outbound: April 21, 2013

ATL - ICN (KE 36)
ICN - REP (KE 687)

For $1505 in Economy

Open jaw (lots of little puddle jumps in Asia)

Return: May 7, 2013
HKG - NRT (DL 156)
NRT - ATL (DL 296)

For $ 1152 in Economy

Pitiful requests on my part:

1. When I last asked what it would cost me (out of my pocket) to upgrade to business, I got a quote of some $6,000, well beyond my financial capacities.
2. I doubt the travel people here did anything beyond quote the standard biz class fare on this proposed routing.
3. What is the combined FT wisdom on upgrading?
4. What are different options (I read a lot about CZ availability in business) to get across the pond with arrival in REP on the 22nd of April? And/or departure from HKG on the 7th of May?

A primer or pointers on where to begin to learn how to do my own research would also be appreciated... even via private messages...
Old Mar 16, 2013, 1:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
The problem with DL is they make it quite difficult to upgrade from a low paid fare. You either pay nosebleed Y or B fares, and hope you can use an SWU, or pay 5-6k for most discounted business class tickets.

Either buy a coach ticket on an airline with easy Transpacific upgrades, and trade for an upgrade, or just use mikes for an award. If your nonprofit is flexible, perhaps they'll pay for the lowest fare, and you can use your own miles/traded miles.

I fly US/Asia regularly in J/F. Usually on CX using AA miles. I buy/trade miles for trips, average cost is $1200-$2000 per RT.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 11:32 pm

I booked an award ticket on Delta SkyMiles on CI, KE and MH (SIN-TPE-CTS-ICN-HKG-KUL-SIN). The taxes the agent quoted me is S$456.20. I asked for the tax breakdown and they are:
OO S$8.00
OP S$6.10
SG S$19.90
SW S$13.30
BP S$33.60
HK S$19.80
YQ S$336.70
YR S$12.80

Total add up to S$450.20. Any idea where the extra S$6 is from?? The call centre agent also could not explain. Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.