Wiki Posts
Search

JFK-HNL a possibility for DL?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2009, 6:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by hfly
Hmmm, so that means that you are in agreement with me that Delta does in fact have 763ER's in domestic config that could fly this route as opposed to WBuchams claim that there were none.
All of the 767-300s in domestic config are non-ER versions, although some may be ETOPS, so look elsewhere for vindication (and preferably, some facts first).
Old Nov 25, 2009, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No actually they are NOT, believe it or not, just last week I flew on a 763ER ATL-LAX in Domestic configuration. And no I did not confuse it for another variant, and yes I was a surprised as you, and spoke with both the A and the co-pilot about it and they told me that there are still several flying out of ATL. Now you go swallow your big words and check YOUR "facts first".
Old Nov 25, 2009, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
No actually they are NOT, believe it or not, just last week I flew on a 763ER ATL-LAX in Domestic configuration. And no I did not confuse it for another variant, and yes I was a surprised as you, and spoke with both the A and the co-pilot about it and they told me that there are still several flying out of ATL. Now you go swallow your big words and check YOUR "facts first".
There are three types of 767-300s flying in Delta's domestic fleet:

767-300 Full Domestics - domestic configuration in the cabin, and these planes are not ETOPS rated, so they can't go more than 60 minutes off the coast. Right now, these planes are pretty much limited to doing runs to SEA/SFO/LAX/SJU/etc., and they cannot go to Hawaii.

767-300 ETOPS Domestics - there are four of these planes, and are in the domestic configuration. They have a range of around 3800 miles (same as the 767-300 Full Domestics). These planes are certified to go over-water, and can be used to Hawaii, or extreme Western Europe out of JFK if DL so desired (there was talk at one point of putting a BE cabin on these planes and using them out of JFK to cities in the UK, Ireland and Spain).

767-300ERs - these planes have a range of about 6000 miles and can go overwater. The biggest difference between this plane and the 767-300 ETOPS is that this plane can fly another 2200 miles or so nonstop. Both planes are certified for overwater use, and both planes are ETOPS certified - just comes down to one plane can perform a bit better than the other.

All 767 service to Hawaii is on the 767-300 ETOPS. Delta used to have a small fleet of eight 767-300ERs running domestic flights until around 2005 - these were the N1xxDZ planes - with Delta cutting back on domestic widebody service and beefing up international expansion, the decision was made around 4 years ago to unleash these planes to their full potential and fly them internationally with a BE cabin.
Old Nov 25, 2009, 8:43 am
azj

Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if both JFK and DTW-HNL make an appearance. DL has reduced capacity so much to HNL from the hubs that it's almost impossible to get to HNL wihout making an extra stop on the coast.
Old Nov 25, 2009, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Mersk, a very good synopsis and oine I would have wholeheartedly agreed with until about a week ago when I was on a 763ER in domestic config, I not only confirmed this with the A and the copilot as I have already stated above, but the saftey card said 767-300ER as well.
Old Nov 25, 2009, 8:55 am

Programs: Onepass
CO has been flying NYC to Hawaii on and off for 23 years, originally they flew nonstop DC-10 from JFK (Eastern Airlines Terminal) to Honolulu with continuing service to Sydney. They moved it over to EWR around '89 but then dropped the service until January of 1998 when they relaunched the route which has been operating ever since. CO has a 767-400 maintenance facility at Honolulu, so one way or another they need to send 767-400s to Honolulu.

In the next year or two Hawaiian Airlines will be launching nonstop HNL-JFK flights, between HA at JFK and CO at EWR I don't see where DL would be able to find a niche in the market.
Old Nov 25, 2009, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
Mersk, a very good synopsis and oine I would have wholeheartedly agreed with until about a week ago when I was on a 763ER in domestic config, I not only confirmed this with the A and the copilot as I have already stated above, but the saftey card said 767-300ER as well.
Strange...DL might be flying some of them on domestic flights this winter while capacity is pulled down to Europe...

Originally Posted by azj
Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if both JFK and DTW-HNL make an appearance. DL has reduced capacity so much to HNL from the hubs that it's almost impossible to get to HNL wihout making an extra stop on the coast.
DTW wouldn't shock me as a 3x/wk service. Would be similar to when DL had daily 767-400 service on CVG-HNL earlier this decade. I'd be surprised, but not shocked.

Originally Posted by STT757
CO has been flying NYC to Hawaii on and off for 23 years, originally they flew nonstop DC-10 from JFK (Eastern Airlines Terminal) to Honolulu with continuing service to Sydney. They moved it over to EWR around '89 but then dropped the service until January of 1998 when they relaunched the route which has been operating ever since. CO has a 767-400 maintenance facility at Honolulu, so one way or another they need to send 767-400s to Honolulu.

In the next year or two Hawaiian Airlines will be launching nonstop HNL-JFK flights, between HA at JFK and CO at EWR I don't see where DL would be able to find a niche in the market.
Agree that I don't see DL launching JFK-HNL. Very long, thin route that those who want the premium of a nonstop can go out of EWR, while connections make up the rest. Once HA opens up that market, it'll become even tougher. The one thing that wouldn't shock me is DL possibly codesharing with HA on their HNL-NYC flight when it starts up eventually - but honestly I just don't think there's room for three non-stop carriers from NYC to Hawaii - when the East Coast goes to a sun resort, it's more often Caribbean-based (a shorter 3-4 hour flight) than Hawaii (an 8-9 hour flight).
Old Nov 25, 2009, 9:22 am

Programs: Onepass
Originally Posted by mersk862
The one thing that wouldn't shock me is DL possibly codesharing with HA on their HNL-NYC flight when it starts up eventually - but honestly I just don't think there's room for three non-stop carriers from NYC to Hawaii .
I agree, DL codeshare on HA.
Old Nov 25, 2009, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by WBurcham
Unless this DTW-HNL flight is something new I've never seen before... there's only ATL/MSP/SLC (and random west coast - HNL) flights. No DTW-HNL.
it's (DTW-HNL) been spotty over the years and then typically only in season...they did try making it year round a few years ago but it didn't last long
Old Nov 25, 2009, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by slippahs
FWIW, there used to be a DTW-HNL flight seasonally during the winters (the DC-10 era) but that stopped a few years back. Was on that flight a few times. Great for bypassing MSP, but must've been pretty bad for NW, since the route required extra crew.
you might be thinking about the Direct flights from DTW...there was 1 which stopped in SFO and 1 stopping in LAX
Old Nov 25, 2009, 7:25 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
DL does have some connection feed into JFK, but as a BOS based traveler, I would far prefer to connect in ATL or MSP or SLC to get to Hawaii.
Old Nov 25, 2009, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by WBurcham
Unless this DTW-HNL flight is something new I've never seen before... there's only ATL/MSP/SLC (and random west coast - HNL) flights. No DTW-HNL.
I knows NW has previously former route DTW-HNL nonstop on operated DC-10-40 in the past. All DC-10 has already been retired to be phase out of fleet. It was being replaceable newest A330-200/300 aircraft due to aging of DC-10 is long gone forever. I would likes to consider to be reinstates nonstop from DTW-HNL sometimes in the future.
Old Nov 25, 2009, 9:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by socrates
it's (DTW-HNL) been spotty over the years and then typically only in season...they did try making it year round a few years ago but it didn't last long
Yeah, unfortunately for NW has been discontinuation DTW-HNL due to poorly loads. I would likes to be consider to bring more routes to be reinstates out of DTW-HNL in 2010 timelines. It will be operated A330 aircraft instead of 777 or 767.

Also, I would likes to bring more potential new nonstop JFK-HNL due to weight restrictions. It will be shorter the route than ATL-HNL. It will try to have more opportunity to begin new potential nonstop JFK-HNL on operated 767-300ER aircraft with the First Class configured. DL will have to be re-configurations to be refurbished the cabin interiors. DL need to be put First Class cabin and not in the BizElite Class.
Old Nov 25, 2009, 11:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by socrates
you might be thinking about the Direct flights from DTW...there was 1 which stopped in SFO and 1 stopping in LAX
Actually no I'm not. NW's DTW-HNL nonstop flight time was over whatever time that mandated extra crew (for crew rest).

Edit: apparently it's 8 hours ( http://www.fromthecockpit.com/Crew_Rest.html )

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.