Wiki Posts
Search

Missed second segment

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2009, 4:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL, CO, Hilton, SPG
Missed second segment

So I didn't realize this when I booked the flight, but apparently the CLT-ATL flight I am taking on 11/25 is almost always an hour late and I only have a 45 minute layover during which I have to go from Terminal A to E at Hartsfield (which most of you know is really cutting it close). Now I'm getting quite anxious about missing the second segment due to the layover length. If I miss my second segment, which is to central america (Delta only has service there every other day), what are my options?

Since this is last minute trip, and I don't have any non-refundable reservations at my destination, I wouldn't mind if they were willing to put me on a Delta flight to another destination in Central/South America. Would something like that even be an option? I am a medallion member and my upgrades have already cleared for both segments on 11/25 if that makes any difference. There is an earlier flight out of CLT, should I call to try to see if they will switch me to that flight (I just don't want to have to pay to change)?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Old Nov 23, 2009, 4:12 pm

Programs: Ex DL-DM. MM. TWA-Aviator Plat. HHonors-DVIP, MR-Gold. Nat-Emerald. Avis Chairmn.
I would see if they would allow you to take an earlier flight from CLT.
Old Nov 23, 2009, 4:23 pm

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
I would start with an earlier flight from CLT, After that have a good backup plan, IE what are your options. You mentioned other cities nearby have that flight info with you along with other airline flights. They may not want to book you on another airline, but with an every other day schedule you can push it since they really do not have a way to get you their. Lastly pay attention to flight time changes, if one of those flights changes to less time you can complain about it not being a legal connection.
Old Nov 23, 2009, 5:13 pm

Programs: Dl PM-MMX2, AA Gold, UA Priemier, Hyatt D, Hilton D, Marriott Plat, Avis President's
Originally Posted by 4Health
So I didn't realize this when I booked the flight, but apparently the CLT-ATL flight I am taking on 11/25 is almost always an hour late and I only have a 45 minute layover during which I have to go from Terminal A to E at Hartsfield (which most of you know is really cutting it close). Now I'm getting quite anxious about missing the second segment due to the layover length. If I miss my second segment, which is to central america (Delta only has service there every other day), what are my options?

Since this is last minute trip, and I don't have any non-refundable reservations at my destination, I wouldn't mind if they were willing to put me on a Delta flight to another destination in Central/South America. Would something like that even be an option? I am a medallion member and my upgrades have already cleared for both segments on 11/25 if that makes any difference. There is an earlier flight out of CLT, should I call to try to see if they will switch me to that flight (I just don't want to have to pay to change)?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Depending on your M status you could do a same-day confirm for the ealier outbound flight out of CLT. Here are the conditions:

Same-day Travel Changes
Our same-day travel options offer you greater flexibility on the day of your travel. We offer you a same-day confirmed travel option and same-day travel upgrades.

Platinum and Gold Medallion® members receive Same-day Travel Benefits.

Same-day Confirmed Travel
The same-day confirmed option allows you to change your flight time on the same day of travel for a fee of $50. To use the same-day confirmed option, you must confirm your new flight within 3 hours of the scheduled departure time. If you have a flexible fare (usually a refundable ticket), you may be able to change your itinerary without a fee.

You may also want to consider dumping your 1st leg and do a one-way rental and just drive to ATL the day before.
Old Nov 23, 2009, 5:17 pm

Programs: DL - PM (Sky Priority);HH - Gold; Marriott - Silver; National - Executive; DL Reserve AMEX
Originally Posted by 4Health
There is an earlier flight out of CLT, should I call to try to see if they will switch me to that flight (I just don't want to have to pay to change)?
Are you Gold or Platinum Medallion? If so, changing your flight (within 3 hours of the new departure time) is free on the day of the flight.

For example, if you're on a 2pm flight originally and you want to change to the Noon flight (2 hours earlier), you can call Delta at 9am (3 hours prior to the new flight) and you can get switched for free as long as there is a seat. If you are Silver Medallion, you can also do this, but it costs $50.

I am not sure about non-medallion fliers. Anyone else out there?? Is it also $50 for non-medallions, more? Or are they not allowed?

This works if you want to wait until the day of the flight. If you want to call ahead of time, you can ask politely because of the short connection time. Since you're connecting to international and only have 45 mins, Delta should help you out. Good luck!!
Old Nov 23, 2009, 5:19 pm

Programs: Dl PM-MMX2, AA Gold, UA Priemier, Hyatt D, Hilton D, Marriott Plat, Avis President's
Just checked seatcounter.com and there are plenty of seats to do the same-day change.
Old Nov 23, 2009, 5:42 pm

Programs: Any status I once had is gone!
Originally Posted by LALAland
You may also want to consider dumping your 1st leg and do a one-way rental and just drive to ATL the day before.
Be VERY careful about doing this. If you are a no-show for the first leg your entire itinerary can (and probably will) be canceled.
Old Nov 23, 2009, 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by bkmn
Be VERY careful about doing this. If you are a no-show for the first leg your entire itinerary can (and probably will) be canceled.
True.... you will need to officially cancel the CLT-ATL leg.
Old Nov 23, 2009, 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by MikeyZBT
I am not sure about non-medallion fliers. Anyone else out there?? Is it also $50 for non-medallions, more? Or are they not allowed?
Pretty sure; a non-medallion SD "confirmed" change requires the $150 + fare difference (if any), or they can 'take a chance' and not confirm and only pay the $50 within the 3 hour window.
Old Nov 23, 2009, 6:17 pm

Programs: DL - PM (Sky Priority);HH - Gold; Marriott - Silver; National - Executive; DL Reserve AMEX
Originally Posted by LALAland
Pretty sure; a non-medallion SD "confirmed" change requires the $150 + fare difference (if any), or they can 'take a chance' and not confirm and only pay the $50 within the 3 hour window.
Right. Everyone has to pay the change fee + fare difference outside the 3 hours, but within the 3 hours, it's DM, PM, GM free and Silver and regular members are $50.

So, if he wants to risk it, it'll only cost him $50.
Old Nov 23, 2009, 6:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: AF plat. SPG Gold
You should try to get on the earlier flight to Atl.
Old Nov 23, 2009, 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by Benlovesflying
You should try to get on the earlier flight to Atl.
Most of the flights CLT-ATL on Wed have seats available
Old Nov 23, 2009, 7:13 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Even though CLT/ATL is a domestic flight, there are reports here that SDC isn't allowed on an international itinerary, even on connecting domestic segments. Some have had success and some haven't.

Also, what's the LEGAL minimum connect time in ATL from domestic to int'l? If it's more than 45 minutes, they should let you change to the earlier CLT/ATL flight without a problem.
Old Nov 23, 2009, 7:21 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
I thought one can not SDC a domestic leg of an international ticket?

A-> E adds about 5 minutes to the connect time.

I certainly would have a list of possible alt flights in hand in case you miss.
Old Nov 23, 2009, 7:25 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Gold
Also keep in mind, that when you do a same day confirmation, you lose any confirmed upgrades. Delta is essentially reticketing you for free, and eventhough your second segment is the same, they have to rebook the entire way for the class you paid for, not just the one segment your changing. I learned this very recently. Obviously, you will be put on the standby upgrade lists, and if there is still inventory in the V and X buckets, they can put you back up front. But with all medallion levels already having the opportunity to clear, chances are slimmer and you might want to expect batteling it out at the gate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.