Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Missed second segment

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2009, 7:44 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Ryan8925
Also keep in mind, that when you do a same day confirmation, you lose any confirmed upgrades. Delta is essentially reticketing you for free, and eventhough your second segment is the same, they have to rebook the entire way for the class you paid for, not just the one segment your changing. I learned this very recently. Obviously, you will be put on the standby upgrade lists, and if there is still inventory in the V and X buckets, they can put you back up front. But with all medallion levels already having the opportunity to clear, chances are slimmer and you might want to expect batteling it out at the gate.

I'd hope that the OP wouldn't be too worried about losing an upgrade on a flight with about 50 minutes of actual flying time vs missing an int'l flight and having to spend 2 days in ATL waiting for the next one.
Old Nov 23, 2009, 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by davetravels
Even though CLT/ATL is a domestic flight, there are reports here that SDC isn't allowed on an international itinerary, even on connecting domestic segments. Some have had success and some haven't.
The advice from Dave is spot on. SDC is technically not allowed on domestic segments of international flights.... YMMV but your best bet is at the CLT airport.

As for "typically an hour late" I doubt that there are many flights like this in the system.

Where is your continuing flight to?
Old Nov 24, 2009, 4:25 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by davetravels
I'd hope that the OP wouldn't be too worried about losing an upgrade on a flight with about 50 minutes of actual flying time vs missing an int'l flight and having to spend 2 days in ATL waiting for the next one.
The OP mentioned he had cleared on both segments, so I was more or less referring to the second international upgrade. However, my comment was simply and FYI for the OP and others, like myself till about two weeks ago, who were not aware of the all the repercussions of SDC.
Old Nov 24, 2009, 4:59 am

Programs: DL Platinum MM, Marriott Gold
I did an SDC on Nov. 7. My second leg had been upgraded (ATL to ORF), and I retained my first class seat on this leg after the SDC. No gate lottery. Maybe I was just lucky not to lose the upgrade?
Old Nov 24, 2009, 11:32 pm

Programs: Dl PM-MMX2, AA Gold, UA Priemier, Hyatt D, Hilton D, Marriott Plat, Avis President's
Originally Posted by Ryan8925
Also keep in mind, that when you do a same day confirmation, you lose any confirmed upgrades. Delta is essentially reticketing you for free, and eventhough your second segment is the same, they have to rebook the entire way for the class you paid for, not just the one segment your changing. I learned this very recently. Obviously, you will be put on the standby upgrade lists, and if there is still inventory in the V and X buckets, they can put you back up front. But with all medallion levels already having the opportunity to clear, chances are slimmer and you might want to expect batteling it out at the gate.
Hmmm... never had this experience; so good 411 to know. Thanks!
Old Nov 25, 2009, 9:16 am

Programs: Delta PM
I recently successfully avoided a 4 hour layover in ATL by SDC-ing to an earlier flight back to SLC; this was the return segment of a RT tix to SAP (Honduras). I was told that it was technically "not allowed" even though it was a domestic segment. They told me that if there had been any remaining international segments, they wouldn't have been able to do it.
Old Nov 25, 2009, 9:29 am

Last edited by mikelevitt; Nov 25, 2009 at 9:36 am
Old Nov 25, 2009, 10:27 am

Programs: dl plat
SDC is not allowed on any international reservations - even for the domestic connecting leg.

Like others have said, show up early to CLT and ask to just be placed on an earlier flight. You can't do it as a SDC, but no doubt reasonable conversation with CLT agents will work well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.