Wiki Posts
Search

volunteering to rebook early

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2009, 2:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum, ex-UA 1P
volunteering to rebook early

I travel LGA-ATL as part of the Turkey Day mass migrations and see inventory nearly sold out via expertflyer. Plans have changed and it would be easier for me to fly EWR-ATL or even PHL-ATL, which have better availability.

Given that my flight is likely overbooked, would Delta be able to respond if I offered to switch before going to the airport? The cost to change flights is $400+ and I wondered if anyone had experience w this type of request.
Old Nov 25, 2009, 4:56 am

Programs: DL DM, 2MM
Originally Posted by nycflyer
I travel LGA-ATL as part of the Turkey Day mass migrations and see inventory nearly sold out via expertflyer. Plans have changed and it would be easier for me to fly EWR-ATL or even PHL-ATL, which have better availability.

Given that my flight is likely overbooked, would Delta be able to respond if I offered to switch before going to the airport? The cost to change flights is $400+ and I wondered if anyone had experience w this type of request.
I agree that this makes sense, but I've never known them to do this. For one thing, the GAs are responsible for dealing with overbookings, while the phone agents don't have that kind of authority.
Old Nov 25, 2009, 8:29 am

Programs: Delta, United
Only once in my travels have I had a phone agent do something similar. Our flight out of Philly was over sold and with weather was doubtful it would get out on time if at all. At the time we were three hours from the flight and still in NJ (had not even started towards the airport). Rather than flying out of a different airport we asked about flying the next morning. They put us on the next flight and even gave us immediate upgrades (both elites). We figured it was a win-win for everyone.

As such, I would call and ask - all they can do is say no.
Old Nov 25, 2009, 9:12 am

Programs: Not enough to count anymore
I have had this happen 1 time in my travels. 3 weeks out I was confirmed on a flight that already was zeroed out and I knew I would be doing a SDC for an earlier flight. I called and asked for customer care and explained how i would be willing to switch to the earlier flight since that was my goal anyways. Customer care made the change for free so they could resell those seats on the later flight.
Old Nov 25, 2009, 9:41 am

Programs: DL ♦M MM|HH♦|Marr Slvr|CO UA AA US|Pri Cub Plat|SPG|Avis 1st|Htz 5*
Originally Posted by nycflyer

Overbooking doesn't happen by accident. It is a planned strategy. Just like you, there will be others who might need/want to change their itins. DL will take the change fees and fare differences all the way up until near departure time. THEN and only then will they start looking at changing pax for free. They want the flight to be overbooked to insure no seat goes out unoccupied. If they switch you now for free then they have defeated their own plan.
Old Nov 25, 2009, 11:31 am

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
Originally Posted by Evan!
Overbooking doesn't happen by accident. It is a planned strategy. Just like you, there will be others who might need/want to change their itins. DL will take the change fees and fare differences all the way up until near departure time. THEN and only then will they start looking at changing pax for free. They want the flight to be overbooked to insure no seat goes out unoccupied. If they switch you now for free then they have defeated their own plan.
That's not always the case. On NW, if a flight is overbooked (or even just full) online checkin will allow a free change to any flight within 24 hours your original flight. You don't have to wait until even close to departure time. I doubt this "defeats their own plan."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.