FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Delta 2010 DO Update (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1015073-delta-2010-do-update.html)

Dilemma Nov 11, 2009 3:21 pm

I had a blast at the DO this year, and am really looking forward to it next year.

Although the possibility of this would be slim, I'd love a ride in a flight simulator at the next event!

me4yankees Nov 11, 2009 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by mersk862 (Post 12802133)
A DO is FlyerTalk slang for a meet. There are various stories as to where the terminology came from exactly, but I've enjoyed every one that I've been to!

If you look up the definition of the word do as a noun, it can mean a party or get-together, so it's not limited to FlyerTalk.

tjisnumbaone Nov 11, 2009 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by Dilemma (Post 12808407)
I had a blast at the DO this year, and am really looking forward to it next year.

Although the possibility of this would be slim, I'd love a ride in a flight simulator at the next event!

I would love to fly the flight simulator!

worldexpress Nov 11, 2009 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by me4yankees (Post 12808875)
If you look up the definition of the word do as a noun, it can mean a party or get-together, so it's not limited to FlyerTalk.

^ +1

yes, i've seen the term used in many circles. definitely not a flyertalk exclusive word.

WBurcham Nov 11, 2009 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by tjisnumbaone (Post 12808903)
I would love to fly the flight simulator!

Gotta be 18... Though I will tell you, it's awesome.

tjisnumbaone Nov 11, 2009 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by WBurcham (Post 12809172)
Gotta be 18... Though I will tell you, it's awesome.

Grrrrrrrrr..........if my vision wasn't messed up I'd be a pilot. But I have used the 777 simulator at D&B and did a perfect landing.

mersk862 Nov 11, 2009 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by tjisnumbaone (Post 12809214)
Grrrrrrrrr..........if my vision wasn't messed up I'd be a pilot. But I have used the 777 simulator at D&B and did a perfect landing.

I can tell you from my personal experience of using a professional simulator (KC-135R) that the professional simulators are nowhere near as easy as something at a D&B or MS Flight Sim. They aren't toys in any case but serious training tools that cost tens of thousands of dollars to acquire.

While I have not had the opportunity to use the Delta flight simulators, from the dozens of photos I've seen and talking to people that have used them, they are quite impressive - then again, it doesn't surprise me - seeing the facilities that maintenance and cabin crew have for their use at the DO was much more than I thought, and I'm sure the pilots have some of the best facilities in the world as well.

tjisnumbaone Nov 11, 2009 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by mersk862 (Post 12809277)
I can tell you from my personal experience of using a professional simulator (KC-135R) that the professional simulators are nowhere near as easy as something at a D&B or MS Flight Sim. They aren't toys in any case but serious training tools that cost tens of thousands of dollars to acquire.

While I have not had the opportunity to use the Delta flight simulators, from the dozens of photos I've seen and talking to people that have used them, they are quite impressive - then again, it doesn't surprise me - seeing the facilities that maintenance and cabin crew have for their use at the DO was much more than I thought, and I'm sure the pilots have some of the best facilities in the world as well.

That is true. The simulator at D&B had thrust, flaps, landing gear, rudder control, and the control wheel. Nothing else. I've been in the flight deck, there is a LOT more than that.

Gargoyle Nov 11, 2009 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by SomeGuy (Post 12808021)
We MUST invite the girl from the safety video to train us on the proper finger wag.

Been there. Done that. :D

http://stonecarver.com/flyertalk/Gargoyle_Deltalina.jpg

mersk862 Nov 11, 2009 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by Gargoyle (Post 12809519)

Just rub it in...

It's funny that me and skoker were both saying that we should get Deltalina at the next DO...

WesNSpace Nov 11, 2009 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by Gargoyle (Post 12798956)
Actually a good idea- Issue boarding passes for each activity when we register, and you present your BP to enter each venue.

We will, of course, need to divide them by boarding zones to keep the entry process smooth.

There will be reissue fees in case of lost BP's, and someone with a loupe and maglite to inspect each BP and do ID matching...

As one of the tech geeks with this DO I'm going to tell you all (or Ya'll in my native tongue) that the Breezeway will be missing. However each and everyone of you are subject to SSSS

WesNSpace Nov 11, 2009 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by tjisnumbaone (Post 12809514)
That is true. The simulator at D&B had thrust, flaps, landing gear, rudder control, and the control wheel. Nothing else. I've been in the flight deck, there is a LOT more than that.

ATLDiff and I almost lost our free lunch in a 737 sim at another event... bad thing is was the sim was on the ground in taxi.

zsmith2 Nov 11, 2009 8:25 pm

I'm so jealous Gargoyle!!!

WBurcham Nov 11, 2009 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by WesNSpace (Post 12810117)
As one of the tech geeks with this DO I'm going to tell you all (or Ya'll in my native tongue) that the Breezeway will be missing. However each and everyone of you are subject to SSSS

Please leave the gloves alone....

iTanNicNic Nov 11, 2009 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by WesNSpace (Post 12810117)

Woohoo for being SSSS exempt! (per DHS/TSA regulation!)