Wiki Posts
Search

Gifting Silver Question

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2009, 7:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL platinum
Gifting Silver Question

Hello. My apologies if this has been answered somewhere. My search didn't give me a specific answer, and as a NW flyer, am still trying to learn the DL ropes.

I'm NW Gold, DL Silver, presumably soon to be DL Platinum whenever DL merges SM & WP and MQM/EQM. My understanding is that DL Platinums can "gift" silver to another. Can anyone confirm? If so, how quickly does this happen?

I'm planning, if this is true, to gift my wife Silver. If so, and we travel (say in January) together as Platinum & Silver on a combined itinerary, where do we stand with upgrade status? Do we both "drop down" to Silver in priority, or does she "up" to my Platinum with regard to time before flight? We're planning a couple winter trips on discount fares.

Thanks.
Old Sep 30, 2009, 7:42 pm

Programs: AA GM, DL DM, DSC
Under the current program rules, gifting silver status is a threshold benefit once you hit 100k MQM and gifting gold once you hit 150k MQMs (IIRC) . In 2010 PM will have a choice benefit that can be gifting status instead of the current PMUs (IIRC).

DL upgrade rules drop to lowest common denominator, in your example you would both be treated like silver.

EDIT - also, while you may be PM on 1/1/2010, I expect choice benefits will not be available on 1/1 but more likely later in Q1. Gifting silver takes several weeks. In my wife's case this year it took 4 weeks to appear in her account. So if you get the choice benefit in Feb. 2010 your wife may not be silver until March - April.

2009 Skymiles Program

2010 Skymiles Program

Last edited by bwhite; Sep 30, 2009 at 8:03 pm
Old Sep 30, 2009, 8:31 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Platinum, Starwood Gold
I have similar questions regarding gifting silver medallion to someone.

I'm over 100,000 MQM this year and trying to gift silver medallion status to my wife who already accumulated about 15,000 MQMs this year.

Q1. I tried to login the threshold webpage but couldn't login, it just reverts back to the same screen. what do I need to login the threshold page?

Q2. After I gift it to my wife, what does she need to make herself to GM this year? is it like Delta giving additional 25,000MQMs to her skymiles account? She signed up for Amex Delta Platinum credit card where she would get additional 10,000 MQM by 12/01/09 and we have at least one more trip to Seattle which will get her more than 5,000MQMs. Based on my calculation, she will have more than 50,000MQMs this year if delta is giving her additional 25,000MQMs by gifting her Silver Medallion status.
Old Sep 30, 2009, 8:54 pm

Location: Florida - Delta Charter DM/3.3MM; Lifetime SPG Plat; HH Gold;
Unfortunately, when you are gifting Silver Medallion (FO), you are gifting the STATUS and NOT the 25,000 miles that it would normally take to obtain it. Thus, it appears to me that your wife may not benefit by you gifiting her the FO status, since she will have already obtained it on her own by the end of 2009.
Old Sep 30, 2009, 10:54 pm

to those who are eligible to gift status, you will receive an email when you qualify to do so. it will be titled:
You've earned 100,000 miles and a reward

You log on from the link in the email to do the gifting. gifting to my husband took 4 weeks.

I believe Runawaynfly read Mpower78's post wrong. Mpower78 was assuming his wife was actually getting 25K eqm but this is not so. what she is getting is 10K from amex and 5k for the Seattle trip. she will need 35K more to reach gold.
Old Oct 1, 2009, 12:48 am

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Platinum, Starwood Gold
how long did you have to wait for that email?
For me it has been at least 3 weeks since I passed 100,000MQMs.

When I logged into delta.com main webpage, and go to that threshold webpage, it shows I can claim the threshold gift though.

BTW, I guess then, I shouldn't gift FO status to my wife since it will not help her to get to GM at all and she can be FO herself by the end of year anyway.
Old Oct 1, 2009, 1:01 am

Originally Posted by MPower78

When I logged into delta.com main webpage, and go to that threshold webpage, it shows I can claim the threshold gift though.

BTW, I guess then, I shouldn't gift FO status to my wife since it will not help her to get to GM at all and she can be FO herself by the end of year anyway.
I honestly don't remember exactly how long but I think maybe 2-3 weeks. And you are correct with gifting your wife status, so long as she makes it to 25K, she'll get it anyway. I would choose the bonus miles for yourself.
Old Oct 1, 2009, 11:39 am

Programs: AA GM, DL DM, DSC
Originally Posted by MPower78
Mine came in a few days for both 100k and 125k but others have complained of weeks and weeks. Try sending DL an email after logging in to dl.com using the "contact us" page. Never hurts to ask.
Old Oct 1, 2009, 12:38 pm

Programs: Delta, HHonors Diamond
Feel free to gift anything to me :-P
Old Oct 1, 2009, 12:48 pm

Programs: DL 2MM, AA ExPlat, UA S, HH S, MR LT Titanium, National Exec
I wonder, My wife will have 8K in miles at year end, If I gift status to my wife this year will they rollover in the spring because she has status even though they are under the 25K?
Old Oct 1, 2009, 12:55 pm

Programs: DL PM Reserve
My mother would happily accept a gift of Silver status, as well. Though, she just wants status so she can cram 20 more lbs. of crap into her checked bag(s) and not worry about an overweight fee (or the checked bag fee to begin with).
Old Oct 1, 2009, 1:00 pm

Programs: DL PM Reserve
Originally Posted by GaryDD
I wonder, My wife will have 8K in miles at year end, If I gift status to my wife this year will they rollover in the spring because she has status even though they are under the 25K?
The way I read the wording on rollover is "miles in excess of your status level" will rollover. So, Silver with only 8k YE mqmilage = 0 rollover miles, same as Gold with 45k YE mqmilage = 0 rollover.
Old Oct 1, 2009, 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by td777
The way I read the wording on rollover is "miles in excess of your status level" will rollover. So, Silver with only 8k YE mqmilage = 0 rollover miles, same as Gold with 45k YE mqmilage = 0 rollover.
actually that gold will have 20K roll over. whatever is above silver at 25K.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.