Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Cuba
Reload this Page >

American going to Cuba with Canadian husband.....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

American going to Cuba with Canadian husband.....

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2013, 11:24 am

If you ever plan to get a job requiring a US security clearance, any "below board" travel to Cuba will probably nix being able to get the job. That's unreasonable/ unfair by my personal yardstick, but that's the reality of current laws which I hope will change.

Rest assured, all your travel is known about. A friend recently had his security clearance upgraded to work on a new government contract that his employer had been awarded. During a routine but lengthy interview to process his clearance, they focused on domestic flights he had taken in SE Asia on a vacation, as well as local phone calls he had made to arrange and confirm local tours and flights. This isn't a rant or paranoia with Snowden at the top of the news...it's been reality for decades.

So, I'd recommend being totally above-board and complying with US laws if you or any family members may need to get a security clearance. Agree with others that the Treasury or State Departments are probably not a concern. Again I don't agree with our Cuba policy at all.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 11:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Advantage
Thank you all for the great feedback! I'll read the articles (links) and research some more.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 1:28 pm

cached link

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The USAToday link doesn't work for me.
try this

http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...&ct=clnk&gl=us
Old Jun 25, 2013, 1:50 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
The OP had better not rely on information from FlyerTalk. We may have opinions - and I certainly have them as much as any others - and we may have the best of intentions, but we are not going to stand behind the OP when things go wrong, and she will not have any defense by sating "but... they told me so on FlyerTalk!"

Originally Posted by FlyerTalk TOS / Rules
Disclaimer - link to this guideline

NEVER rely on information or opinions posted on FlyerTalk to replace the information that you receive from your frequent traveler programs. While FlyerTalk is full of great information, we cannot guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information provided on the boards.

FlyerTalk is founded on the principles of support, empowerment, information and entertainment. Use good judgment when considering how to use information derived from the forums and consult representatives from the appropriate programs before doing anything that might affect your travel or put your miles and points at risk. Remember that what's right for one person may not be right for you.

FlyerTalk is not liable for any loss or damage caused by information obtained through our forums.
The OP had better be careful or she could be fined and worse by the U S authorities. Those who feel departing from Canada or Mexico would mean the US authorities would not know of a trip violating the continuing embargo is incorrect - I know people and of people who were sanctioned (U S Treasury iirc) for trips to Cuba from Canada and other countries, including divers who purchased a package from a Canadian agency and had them travel from an origin not in the US. Even years ago, reliable authors reported Mexican officials were providing the CIA with lists of Americans who flew to / from Cuba.

Merely failing to declare (concealing) one went to Cuba is breaking the law for a U S citizen and can incur penalties. Got Global Entry? Kiss it goodbye. Want extra attention every time you enter the US internationally? You are likely to get it, and not in a good way.

Getting a Canadian citizenship - takes significant time and one must meet certain criteria - may allow dual citizenship and a legal way to travel to Cuba.

OP, check out official information only - perhaps consult a qualified immigration attorney before going much farther(Texas has a number of such in practice). I am not fond of the Cuban embargo, personally, but under Section 1001 of Title 18 of the United States Code merely lying to a U S Government official (orally, failing to disclose, whatever) can result in significant penalties; ask Martha Stewart.

Section 1001 of Title 18 of the United States Code says, in part:

(a) Except as otherwise provided in this section, whoever, in any matter within the jurisdiction of the executive, legislative, or judicial branch of the Government of the United States, knowingly and willfully—
(1) falsifies, conceals, or covers up by any trick, scheme, or device a material fact;
(2) makes any materially false, fictitious, or fraudulent statement or representation; or
(3) makes or uses any false writing or document knowing the same to contain any materially false, fictitious, or fraudulent statement or entry;
shall be fined under this title, imprisoned not more than 5 years or, if the offense involves international or domestic terrorism (as defined in section 2331), imprisoned not more than 8 years, or both. If the matter relates to an offense under chapter 109A, 109B, 110, or 117, or section 1591, then the term of imprisonment imposed under this section shall be not more than 8 years.[/INDENT]

Last edited by JDiver; Jun 25, 2013 at 1:57 pm
Old Jun 25, 2013, 2:00 pm

Don't want to hijack this thread, but in a similar vein...

I am American married to a Brit, living in the UK. I'll be getting my UK citizenship next month.

Would traveling to Cuba on holiday with my husband - using my British passport - be okay?

UPDATED TO ADD: Sorry, didn't read through to page 2 of this thread, and just read JDiver's note above - sounds like it would be okay for me to travel to Cuba using my UK citizenship.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 3:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Advantage
Originally Posted by JDiver
The OP had better not rely on information from FlyerTalk. We may have opinions - and I certainly have them as much as any others - and we may have the best of intentions, but we are not going to stand behind the OP when things go wrong, and she will not have any defense by sating "but... they told me so on FlyerTalk!"
Thanks for the great advice. I am taking this very seriously. I may end up not going with him. 3 months is not that long, we have been apart for 6 months at a time so 3 months wouldn't be a hardship.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 4:35 pm

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
As a Canadian, my personal view on Cuba is that Fidel (& now Raul) aren't Evil; they're just misunderstood.

I can understand that the American Government and possibly a fair portion of the American people were rather peeved at Mr. Castro back in October 1962, but gee 51 years is kind of a long time to hold a grudge ...

Anyhow, in these circumstances I would think that going for Canadian citizenship might be the logical solution particularly if the Cuba factor is going to be a long term thing.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 9:36 pm
mkt

Programs: AA LT PLT; DL GLD, UA nothing, B6 Mosaic; Emerald Club Executive
Originally Posted by TeaLoverDenise
I am American married to a Brit, living in the UK. I'll be getting my UK citizenship next month.

Would traveling to Cuba on holiday with my husband - using my British passport - be okay?

UPDATED TO ADD: Sorry, didn't read through to page 2 of this thread, and just read JDiver's note above - sounds like it would be okay for me to travel to Cuba using my UK citizenship.
Are you still a US citizen, or will you be renouncing it?
Old Jun 27, 2013, 8:31 am
glg

Originally Posted by RCyyz
I can understand that the American Government and possibly a fair portion of the American people were rather peeved at Mr. Castro back in October 1962, but gee 51 years is kind of a long time to hold a grudge ...
Trying not to go too OMNI here, but I don't really think most Americans care, just a very small community in Miami who think that their corrupt government will return to power if/when Castro's government falls. That community's influence on our Cuba policy is ludicrously outsized.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 8:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It seems pretty easy for USA based academics to get permission to go to Cuba now. I think the OP should follow what was suggested upthread to check whether she can similarly get permission as the spouse of an academic, even if that person isn't a USA citizen.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 1:26 pm

You have, as mentioned, a slim chance of getting caught. You "went to Canada and stayed there". However, do prepare not to have access to your funds in US banks or to US based credit cards for the duration of your stay in Cuba. Sounds like a very interesting trip, so enjoy to the fullest.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 10:00 pm

We can't give advice that would be considered a leg to stand on... but you are, AFAIK, required to enter and depart the USA using your US passport (and giving the airline your US information for travel to the US to satisfy the USDHS requirements)). Beyond that, where you go with your UK passport is up to you and the United Kingdom, of course.

At one time, dual citizenship was definitely frowned upon on the US; I know because at that time I had one. Things have become much more lenient, and I know a number of people with U S citizenship as one of their citizenships - such as those of Irish descent who acquire Irish passports (and thereby can work in the EU without having to acquire work permits, etc.)

Congratulations, by the way.

Originally Posted by TeaLoverDenise

Old Jun 27, 2013, 10:04 pm

It's mostly about politics and special interest groups, most likely; there's not much strategically hinging on changes in the US relationship with Cuba. But further opinion is indeed more suited to OMNI/PR, as this forum is about travel to Cuba.

So now we return to the topic...

But
Originally Posted by RCyyz
As a Canadian, my personal view on Cuba is that Fidel (& now Raul) aren't Evil; they're just misunderstood.

Anyhow, in these circumstances I would think that going for Canadian citizenship might be the logical solution particularly if the Cuba factor is going to be a long term thing.
Originally Posted by glg
Trying not to go too OMNI here, but I don't really think most Americans care, just a very small community in Miami who think that their corrupt government will return to power if/when Castro's government falls. That community's influence on our Cuba policy is ludicrously outsized.
Old Jun 28, 2013, 8:24 am
mkt

Programs: AA LT PLT; DL GLD, UA nothing, B6 Mosaic; Emerald Club Executive
Originally Posted by glg
Not just Miami. Their community down here is absurdly powerful with the local and mainland right wing, and with the US's Cuba policy. The very first and wealthiest that left Cuba during and after the revolution came to Puerto Rico.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.