Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Solo female travelling in Cuba

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2010, 4:16 pm
Original Poster

Solo female travelling in Cuba

Would there be a safety issue for a single female tourist in Cuba?

I have had no problems pottering about alone in Western Europe, Istanbul, Bombay, Singapore, Bangkok, Hong Kong, Japan and North America.

I think I might be renting a car (UK license) and I would have a fair bit of photography equipment.

Thanks.
Old Apr 30, 2010, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Bear in mind that Cuban authorities are said to treat all private vehicles as public transportation: You may well be flagged down to give rides to those wanting them. Just a thought as far as security of your equipment goes.
Old May 6, 2010, 2:47 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Senator, SPG Gold
I doubt government's rental agency car would be considered a private vehicle.

Just like with single male tourists, some local folks may try to offer you their services, polite no gracias in spanish is the best answer. More in the cities than in the countryside. Apart from that I think traveling alone should be pretty safe.

You should take care of your equipment but you're more likely to "loose" a shirt or shoes than expensive camera equipment that they don't have any use for. I assume you'll look more like a cultural expeditor than a flashy american tourist with expensive looking gear to photograph the communist poverty.

Of the places mentioned, Istanbul and Bombay are the closest although very different.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 11:18 am

Cuba is widely regarded as one of the safest destinations for tourists. It is quite common for single females to travel around.

If you rent a car, make sure you get a good map.
Old Jul 4, 2010, 7:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by beardo
Cuba is widely regarded as one of the safest destinations for tourists. It is quite common for single females to travel around.
That was what I thought initially. But after reading the latest Rough Guide, I'm not sure! Apparently, there have been increased incidents of bag snatching and violent muggings, particularly in centro Habana.
Old Jul 7, 2010, 11:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by phaleesy
That was what I thought initially. But after reading the latest Rough Guide, I'm not sure! Apparently, there have been increased incidents of bag snatching and violent muggings, particularly in centro Habana.
MHO would still feel you're safer in Cuba than elsewhere you've pottered about alone in Western Europe, Istanbul, Bombay, Singapore, Bangkok, Hong Kong, Japan and North America. Having been to almost all on this list and Cuba twice that is of course just MHO.

Heck, my guidebook warned me about the park surrounding the Cloisters in Manhattan and I went anyway and didn't feel unsafe at all and am so glad I didn't let it scare me off as I very much enjoyed that half day visit to this special NYC sight.

Enjoy Cuba.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 8:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
The police in Cuba is the military.. I've heard of isolated incidents talking to other travellers, but they are few and far between.. I would regard Mexico a very frightening place with all the tourist murders that's been going on.. makes Cuba seem like a very safe place to be.

That said, Havana seems to be the crime hotspot for Cuba if there ever was one.. I've heard recommendations not to carry hand bags or valuables when touring there.. Never been, but that wouldn't stop me from visiting the next time.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 8:07 pm

Programs: MS Plat, AOR ninja
I've been dying to go to Cuba. As an American, this is an issue. Hoping to figure out a way soon enough...
Old Aug 13, 2010, 8:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
I've heard you'll have to connect to Cuba through another country like Canada or US.. Important when you travel not to show any US documents, or any hint of US.. Good luck!
Old Aug 13, 2010, 9:26 pm
Original Poster

Cuba is an awesome place. I have never been to a place quite like it.

People are friendly and warm. I was invited to their houses and also to share their meals. They're extremely house proud and wanted their homes photographed. Cubans love getting their pictures taken!

I spent a couple of days in Trinidad. Because it was so small, I think people seem to know me after a while. They must think I was the mad woman sitting on the side-streets 'car spotting'. I was caught in the rain once and was given shelter at an ice-cream factory. After getting fed with strawberry ice-cream, I was given a tour of the unit.

Police in HAvana are extremely helpful. It got too dark for me to see the street signs so I asked for help in getting home. The kind police officer walked me to the intersection of the roads (a rather long walk!), then gave me directions on how to get home. That was in Centro Habana. I still felt really safe because there were police standing around nearly everywhere.

Mexico City was not bad at all either. Mexicans like to be photographed too! The police are everywhere in Centro Historica. Again, I felt really safe.

I'm going to learn Spanish and I'd be back to these wonderful places soon!
Old Aug 16, 2010, 9:00 pm
Suspended

Ah.. the memories are coming back to me.. I remember that the average wage for a cuban was $14 or $16 per month (I think, may be wrong).. Cubans are generally honorable people, and a $1 tip goes a long way with these people. Cuba is a world like back in the 60's.. a vehicle in any condition is a welcome sight. Watching Cubans gives new perspective how much we actually have in North America.
Old Aug 18, 2010, 11:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by phaleesy
Cuba is an awesome place. I have never been to a place quite like it.

People are friendly and warm. I was invited to their houses and also to share their meals. They're extremely house proud and wanted their homes photographed. Cubans love getting their pictures taken!

I spent a couple of days in Trinidad. Because it was so small, I think people seem to know me after a while. They must think I was the mad woman sitting on the side-streets 'car spotting'. I was caught in the rain once and was given shelter at an ice-cream factory. After getting fed with strawberry ice-cream, I was given a tour of the unit.
Wow! Sounds like a cool memory, pun intended. I love Cuba and so am glad you fell for the island also and were able to create your own warm travel memories.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.