Search

Cuba to require medical insurance for visitors

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2010, 5:49 am
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz
Original Poster

Cuba to require medical insurance for visitors

http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/N06109809.htm

Cash-strapped Cuba will require visitors to buy health insurance if they want to enter the country, according to a new government measure disclosed on Saturday.

Under the measure, which takes effect in May, the insurance will be sold by foreign companies approved by the Cuban government or by Cuban firms at ports of entry to the communist-led island, the government said in the online edition of Cuba's Official Gazette.

The measure decrees that tourists, foreigners with temporary residence in Cuba and Cubans living abroad who return to visit will have to be insured.

It exempts diplomats and representatives of accredited international organizations. The cost of the insurance was not disclosed.
Old Mar 10, 2010, 12:05 pm

Programs: AA,DL,BA,UA,SPG, and any other free trip!
this is good because I heard their healthcare system is better than the U.S. and that some Americans found that out and started going there for treatment hehe....
Old Mar 17, 2010, 3:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
It sure makes my job as a travel agent easier to sell my clients the formerly optional travel insurance but as a traveller myself I dislike these sorts of sweeping government dictates. I was in Cuba 6 weeks ago having visited a couple of times previously and love the country but am not loving this intervention.
Old Mar 21, 2010, 9:59 am

It makes perfect sense to me, because Cuba could otherwise become a destination for travelers with medical conditions who lacked the means to pay for their treatments.

This is a minor requirement compared to the lack of freedoms enjoyed by regular Cubans.
Old Mar 23, 2010, 11:25 am

Programs: lh sen
Anyone knows when this new requirement will be enforced?
Old Aug 13, 2010, 8:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Dictates.. Funny.. Castro is a dictator.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 9:15 pm

Asked about health insurance at immigration.

Showed the immigration officer my Amex Insurance Cert. I also showed her the relevant pages relating to health insurance which I had printed off.
Old Aug 18, 2010, 11:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
Dictates.. Funny.. Castro is a dictator.
Sorry but the place for politics on is OMNI/PR.
Old Sep 6, 2010, 8:39 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by tcook052
Sorry but the place for politics on is OMNI/PR.
Not meant to be political..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.