Wiki Posts
Search

MSC cruises

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2023, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
Western Med (i.e., west of Italy to the strait of Gibraltar) can be very rough. First night out of "Rome" headed to Spain had gale force winds (Mistral, Tramontane, Scirocco perhaps) and rather big swells. Even resulted in some port of call cancellations on the ship's previous voyage.

Eastern Med (east of Italy to Turkey) appears to be more sheltered.
I didn’t want to be the party pooper, but that was my experience as well. Wave height equal to what I’ve seen in the Caribbean. Winds strong enough to keep us off the balcony. May 2016 western med.
Old May 1, 2023, 7:54 am

Programs: SPG, HH, IHG, BA, DL
Alcohol drink packages are silly on MSC...

So if I wanted to get their optional drink alcohol package for our cruise and my wife does not drink, why would MSC force the alcohol package to her when all she wants is the non alcoholic package ??

Is this a cruise wide policy ?

Last edited by 4sallypat; May 1, 2023 at 7:56 am Reason: drinks packages
Old May 1, 2023, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 4sallypat
So if I wanted to get their optional drink alcohol package for our cruise and my wife does not drink, why would MSC force the alcohol package to her when all she wants is the non alcoholic package ??

Is this a cruise wide policy ?
Common across lines. You are obviously an honest sort. But too many would be tempted to purchase one package and split it, thereby depriving the cruise line of revenue.
gretchendz, wrp96 and 4sallypat like this.
Old May 1, 2023, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by BamaVol
Common across lines. You are obviously an honest sort. But too many would be tempted to purchase one package and split it, thereby depriving the cruise line of revenue.
Our first cruise so definitely new to this game.

My wife was not pleased when I said, I could drink for both of us. HA HA !

So we agreed that I would pay for each drink onboard.

Since I only have 3-4 drinks per day, and only 2 sea days - still won't be nearly close to 2x drink packages.

For those 5 port days I'd probably not drink as much so it's best not to get the drink package.

My wife does not drink sodas nor coffee drinks so she definitely does not have any need for even the non alcohol package.
She is happy with teas, water and juice in the mornings.
Old May 1, 2023, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Our first cruise so definitely new to this game.

My wife was not pleased when I said, I could drink for both of us. HA HA !

So we agreed that I would pay for each drink onboard.

Since I only have 3-4 drinks per day, and only 2 sea days - still won't be nearly close to 2x drink packages.

For those 5 port days I'd probably not drink as much so it's best not to get the drink package.

My wife does not drink sodas nor coffee drinks so she definitely does not have any need for even the non alcohol package.
She is happy with teas, water and juice in the mornings.

If she is at all fussy about her tea, have her pack something she likes. Mrs BV did that and didn’t regret it. It won’t take up much room. I don’t know yet what MSC has on board, but why risk drinking institutional brands.
4sallypat likes this.
Old May 1, 2023, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
The only problem with (black) teas on almost all cruise ships is the water isn't hot enough when getting water from the most common/usual source - coffee brewers (it's not boiling), and even if one preheats a mug/teacup with such. I've pretty much given up on tea on the mass-market lines (i.e., HAL, Princess, Celebrity). The ships that cater to the U.K. and probably Australia markets are equipped with in-room kettles. Such may be available on request fro the cabin attendant.
4sallypat likes this.
Old May 2, 2023, 7:07 am

Originally Posted by BamaVol
If she is at all fussy about her tea, have her pack something she likes. Mrs BV did that and didn’t regret it. It won’t take up much room. I don’t know yet what MSC has on board, but why risk drinking institutional brands.
Excellent idea since wife is particular to teas without caffeine.
Old Jul 11, 2023, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by mahasamatman;[url=tel:35206280
35206280[/url]]The Med is generally very smooth. You won't even notice you're on a ship.
You were correct!
Never needed to use the transdermal patch.
MSC Sinfonia cruise was awesome.
Excellent staff, great food, and lots of entertainment.

Ports were great except for Venice, Italy where Venetian officials treated everyone like illegal immigrants..

The only complaint was [mod edit] cruisers who don't know what a queue is.
Excellent value and great fun.

Would definitely do another MSC cruise - looking at Japan on MSC Bellissima this fall / next spring.

Mykonos, Greece - MSC Sinfonia docked in background...

Last edited by l etoile; Jul 25, 2023 at 11:08 pm Reason: Edit out over-generalized cultural reference
Old Jul 12, 2023, 4:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
MSC Sinfonia cruise was awesome.
Excellent staff, great food, and lots of entertainment.
Great to hear. Was there any good ballroom dance space and appropriate music?
Old Dec 18, 2023, 12:45 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Longshot question - has anyone taken a MSC cruise from Taiwan to Japan, or anywhere in Asia, and can report on the disembarkation process from the perspective of a Yacht Club guest? It seems the process is different depending on the region, with US arrivals needing to be off by 10AM, but other ports may allow guest to remain on board longer. Do Yacht Club guest have priority or a reserved time to depart?
Old Mar 27, 2024, 5:54 pm

Programs: AA Gold, UA, DL
I know your post is 2 years old but...

Originally Posted by GratefulSmile
Yes did you still need help with any questions. I've done Yacht Club 3 times.
Have you done more? I've only done one but I'm sold!! I booked direct but want to get a great travel agent next time. If you have any helpful info please message me! I LOVED the YC!!
Old Apr 17, 2024, 5:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
I have to say our one YC experience on MSC has sold us. Moving forward, it'll be one of our first choices.
Old Apr 18, 2024, 5:56 am

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I have to say our one YC experience on MSC has sold us. Moving forward, it'll be one of our first choices.
Same here, I'm on my 3rd YC cruise next week with friends who just got off the same ship yesterday. They sold us on MSC and Yacht Club, won't be going back to the Haven.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.