Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MSC cruises

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2022, 9:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
MSC cruises

Does anyone have experience with MSC's European cruises? I'm looking at a few possibilities and I'd appreciate any insights.
Old Dec 18, 2022, 1:43 am

Programs: Qatar Plat OW*E, HH Diamond, Hyatt Exp, Marriott Titanium
Yes did you still need help with any questions. I've done Yacht Club 3 times.
Old Dec 28, 2022, 6:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
We decided on the Sinfonia. No Yacht Club, but we wanted to try the smaller ship.

Last edited by mahasamatman; Dec 29, 2022 at 12:31 pm
Old Apr 25, 2023, 12:15 pm

Programs: SPG, HH, IHG, BA, DL
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
We decided on the Sinfonia. No Yacht Club, but we wanted to try the smaller ship.
We are scheduled for Sinfonia next month for a week long Mediterranean cruise.
Never cruised before.
How was your experience ?
Old Apr 25, 2023, 8:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 4sallypat
We are scheduled for Sinfonia next month for a week long Mediterranean cruise. Never cruised before. How was your experience ?
You first. Our cruise is in March 2024.
4sallypat likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2023, 9:00 pm

You first. Our cruise is in March 2024.
Wow! Next year!

We are cruising for the first time - never been on a cruise ship ever.

Scared about sea sickness but ready with: sea bands, scopolamine patches, and tens wrist energy bands.

We will be departing Athens on 5/25 and returning 6/1.

Will report back!

We are also doing a week on land too.

Post pandemic trip with lots of points used for:
1 free R/T airfare on British Airways
3 free nights at Wyndham Athens Grand hotel
2 free nights at IHG Athens Intercontinental
1 free night at Best Western NYC (return layover).
Old Apr 26, 2023, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
I promised my grandchildren I would take them on a cruise next year. MSC is the lowest price closest option for us. I am finding their website a little difficult as I’m not familiar with the product at all. I now have a local TA that I used to book a Princess Alaska cruise for September, but I’m not sure she can or will book MSC. My backup plan is a short MSC cruise this winter and use the Future Cruise desk onboard. I’m certainly interested in reading others’ MSC experiences. I don’t see a lot of what I’m interested in reading on CC.
Old Apr 26, 2023, 11:53 am

My first MSC cruise is at the end of May. Many travel agents don't want to work with them, I booked online without issue.
We are in the yacht club, ship within a ship experience like NCL Haven, the price comparison to NCL at that level for almost the same benefits was very tempting we jumped at it for our first cruise in 3 years where we used to sail twice a year (no brand loyalty).
Old Apr 26, 2023, 6:26 pm

Programs: Delta Plat & Million Miler
TA

Originally Posted by BamaVol
I promised my grandchildren I would take them on a cruise next year. MSC is the lowest price closest option for us. I am finding their website a little difficult as I’m not familiar with the product at all. I now have a local TA that I used to book a Princess Alaska cruise for September, but I’m not sure she can or will book MSC. My backup plan is a short MSC cruise this winter and use the Future Cruise desk onboard. I’m certainly interested in reading others’ MSC experiences. I don’t see a lot of what I’m interested in reading on CC.

Try your local TA. Odds are she will work with you on MSC. If not, there will be TAs who will.
Old Apr 26, 2023, 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by BamaVol
Just remember, MSC is a European cruise line (Italian) and are not the same as cruising on Celebrity, Carnival, Holland, etc...

If you brush up on how MSC works, you will not be disappointed.

I remember when I flew LCC Norwegian Airlines before the pandemic and people from the USA hated them because they didn't do their research.

Because I did do my research, weighed my bags, and made sure my carryon met their rules, I was fine.

Best family trip to Europe ever!
gretchendz likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2023, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Just remember, MSC is a European cruise line (Italian) and are not the same as cruising on Celebrity, Carnival, Holland, etc...

If you brush up on how MSC works, you will not be disappointed.

I remember when I flew LCC Norwegian Airlines before the pandemic and people from the USA hated them because they didn't do their research.

Because I did do my research, weighed my bags, and made sure my carryon met their rules, I was fine.

Best family trip to Europe ever!
My grandkids won’t know the difference. And as long as they’re happy, I’m happy.
4sallypat and philemer like this.
Old Apr 27, 2023, 9:58 am
Original Poster

Scared about sea sickness but ready with: sea bands, scopolamine patches, and tens wrist energy bands.
The Med is generally very smooth. You won't even notice you're on a ship.
4sallypat likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2023, 8:04 am

The Med is generally very smooth. You won't even notice you're on a ship.
Thank you for that piece of comfort!

First time cruiser so glad we picked a smooth piece of water.

Truly hoping the Adriatic sea is calm for our trip in May.

Whenever I fly, I use the sea bands and never had an issue.

I have the transdermal scopolamine patches just in case...
Old Apr 28, 2023, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
I sailed MSC Meraviglia out of the US in Nov 2021. I liked it and felt it was a good experience. Really not that different from any other cruise line I've sailed. The one thing I wasn't happy with was the food and dining service except in the pay for restaurants, but Nov 2021 was just when cruises were restarting, there were definite supply chain issues (no fresh pasta onboard - on an Italian cruiseline!!), etc, so I would expect things to be much better if I sailed MSC now. Midway through the cruise we made contact with the head of the main dining room and our service issues were addressed, our stateroom attendant was one of the best I've ever had, bar service was fantastic, etc. Again, most of our issues were more to do with the restart rather than it being MSC.
Old Apr 28, 2023, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Western Med (i.e., west of Italy to the strait of Gibraltar) can be very rough. First night out of "Rome" headed to Spain had gale force winds (Mistral, Tramontane, Scirocco perhaps) and rather big swells. Even resulted in some port of call cancellations on the ship's previous voyage.

Eastern Med (east of Italy to Turkey) appears to be more sheltered.
4sallypat likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.