Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Your Next Cruise: Are you Having Second Thoughts Due to Fears of Pandemic?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your Next Cruise: Are you Having Second Thoughts Due to Fears of Pandemic?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2020, 8:42 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
If they are going to deny you boarding, you should be entitled to a refund. Note, I see they're trying to conserve cash and it is only in a form of credit.

Wonder which major cruiseco will be the first to run into cash crunch/go bankrupt.

Adding:
Also wondering if this is the equivalent of the May 1937 Lakehurst event for large cruise ships (i.e., a Hindenburg event).
While I don’t see any of the major cruise lines going bankrupt yet I think the industry in general will be hurting big time if this crisis continues through the summer into the fall and worse yet into early next year. The virtual closing of Italy is going to take a huge bite out of the about to start Med cruise season and if it stays in place beyond the announced three or four weeks it will virtually stop the season. Hype and rubbish? Overreaction? Maybe but the reality is what it is.

Last edited by Randyk47; Mar 10, 2020 at 8:56 am
Old Mar 11, 2020, 12:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by Randyk47
While I don’t see any of the major cruise lines going bankrupt yet I think the industry in general will be hurting big time if this crisis continues through the summer into the fall and worse yet into early next year. The virtual closing of Italy is going to take a huge bite out of the about to start Med cruise season and if it stays in place beyond the announced three or four weeks it will virtually stop the season. Hype and rubbish? Overreaction? Maybe but the reality is what it is.
Not only is Italy closed to cruising, but effectively, so is:

India
China
Israel

Can any other countries be added to this list?

(BTW, I'm rooting for Hawaiian ports to be closed as well).
Old Mar 11, 2020, 2:42 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by 747FC

India
China
Israel

Qatar closed their port too. And "maybe" Bahrain.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 5:04 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by 747FC

India
China
Israel

UAE has at least closed their ports to cruise ships. Also have seen the postings in a Silversea group on Facebook from a British ex-pat who lives and works in UAE. He went home to England to visit family and is now saying he’s having trouble getting allowed back into UAE. Also have a friend in Georgia whose daughter lives and works in Qatar. She is scheduled to come home for a visit later this month. The trip is in jeopardy because if she leaves Qatar may not allow her to return. No details on either situation so this is all second hand hearsay.

UPDATE: A passenger on Silversea’s Silver Spirit just posted to Facebook that Vietnam just closed its ports to cruise ships. Again second hand. The Spirit was already in a bit of a mess as it had been, before the port closings, on its way to India then UAE and eventually into the Med to start its Med season. As it was Silversea canceled those cruises and the Spirit was basically going to sail with only crew and staff for almost a month without paying passengers.

Last edited by Randyk47; Mar 11, 2020 at 6:59 am
Old Mar 11, 2020, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Local pressure to close ports in B.C. (from the province's top health official) to cruise ships which will kill at least the early part of this upcoming Alaska season, unless PVSA is (at least temporarily and partly) suspended and the Victoria stop can be dispensed with. Likewise, the federal top health official has urged people not to go on cruises.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 12:44 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
Hmm, just saw that a Viking river cruise ship is quarantined in Cambodia because of a sick passenger (I think they're still waiting on testing??) So if that's true, I could definitely see Cambodia seeing this as strike 2 (after Westerdam) and that river cruise started in HCMC, so if Vietnam is closed to ocean cruising, this could prompt a river cruise moratorium as well.....
Old Mar 11, 2020, 1:37 pm

https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...ps/5020325002/

Cruise Lines International Association (CLIA) submitted a plan to Vice President Michael Pence proposing enhanced measures across the industry as the coronavirus pandemic rages on, forcing two ships of passengers into quarantine and escalating fears on others.

According to the proposal, boarding should be denied to any person over the age of 70 years unless they are able to present a doctor's note verifying their fitness for travel on a cruise ship, according to a person familiar with the situation but not authorized to speak publicly.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 9:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Viking (River and Ocean) has elected to suspend all cruises and operations until the end of April.

https://www.cruise.blog/2020/03/viki...ue-coronavirus
Old Mar 12, 2020, 6:54 am

First two sailing to Seattle have been cancelled not that the Grand Princess would make that sailing.
https://q13fox.com/2020/03/11/first-...irus-outbreak/
Old Mar 12, 2020, 7:16 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Princess Cruise sends all their ships to port for two months.

https://www.princess.com/news/notices_ and_advisories/notices/global-ship-operations-pause.html

SANTA CLARITA, Calif (March 12, 2020) In proactive response to the unpredictable circumstances evolving from the global spread of COVID-19 and in an abundance of caution, Princess Cruises announced that it will voluntarily pause global operations of its 18 cruise ships for two months (60 days), impacting voyages departing March 12 to May 10.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 7:56 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by Badenoch
All remaining cruises in the Arabian and Persian Gulf have been cancelled too.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Latest Princess cancellation policy - revised from previously revised one - much better policy but shortened covered period.

They cancel the next 60 days cruises effective immediately. Issued a revised cancellation policy.

<<We hope you will stick with us by selecting Option 1, and give our team a chance to shine at a later date by transferring money paid and accepting a significantly higher value future cruise credit that can be used on any voyage through May 1, 2022. For some, choosing the future cruise credit may not be financially possible, so we have Option 2 that is a combination of a refund and future cruise credit at lower value.>>

<<For those who are impacted by this business decision, Princess is offering guests the opportunity to transfer 100% of the money paid for their cancelled cruise to a future cruise of their choice. To add a bonus incentive for guests to accept this offer, the company will add an additional generous future cruise credit benefit which can be applied to the cruise fare or onboard expenses. In addition, Princess will honor this offer for those guests who had made final payment and cancelled their booking on or after February 4, 2020. The future cruise credit can be used on any voyage departing through May 1, 2022.>>

There is now an online form to submit the request - this makes it much easier than having to call. Though if booked thru Travel Agency. it still needs to be submitted by the travel agency. That means we still have to go thru Chase Ultimate Reward. Sigh.

CEO's message

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZC1j...ature=youtu.be

https://www.princess.com/news/notice...ons-pause.html

https://www.princess.com/news/pdfs/v...operations.pdf

Last edited by Happy; Mar 12, 2020 at 9:53 am
Old Mar 12, 2020, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Viking just announced they will suspend all operations thru Apr 30.

https://www.foxnews.com/travel/vikin...el-complicated
Old Mar 12, 2020, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by Happy
Viking just announced they will suspend all operations thru Apr 30.

https://www.foxnews.com/travel/vikin...el-complicated
Faux is slow. Viking cancelled yesterday.

https://www.vikingcruisescanada.com/...perations.html
Old Mar 12, 2020, 1:41 pm

My parents are currently aboard Costa Luminosa, about 3 days away from Tenerife. IF Spain allows them to port (they were denied port in Antigua) I am wondering if Costa will just end the cruise right there - rather than continuing onto their other scheduled stops (Malaga and Marseille, they have already scrapped Italy and Croatia)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.