Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Your Next Cruise: Are you Having Second Thoughts Due to Fears of Pandemic?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your Next Cruise: Are you Having Second Thoughts Due to Fears of Pandemic?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2020, 4:25 pm

Programs: Delta Plat & Million Miler
Uniworld and Virgin

Uniworld has suspended all cruises until April 23 and Virgin Voyages has delayed their inaugural cruise until August.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 5:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Happy
Latest Princess cancellation policy...They cancel the next 60 days cruises effective immediately.
Cancellations are through 11 May - just barely taking our 09 May cruise with them.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 7:59 pm

My parents are on the “Pride of America” right now in Hawaii, I am worried for them, and worried that they can make it back to Detroit without a 2 week quarantine.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Cancellations are through 11 May - just barely taking our 09 May cruise with them.
They retroactively give those who canceled since Feb 4th? So I believe if the situation does not get better, they will revise the policy again to extend the coverage. Ours is Apr 11, miss the cut off of Apr 8 for 50% FCC after the 100% refund. Ours would be the same as yours, at 25%. I would imagine many people might opt for Option 2.

The system was overloaded for hours after mid-day but is now back up. I would wait till sometime next week to do the cancellation, first check with Chase Ultimate Reward (Connexions Loyalty Travel) because the refund will go to their credit card then we get back the corresponding points.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 10:41 am

Canada bans all cruise ship over 500 people until July. I guess if we didn't cancel our May's Alaska cruise, it would have been cancelled for us.
https://vancouverisland.ctvnews.ca/c...july-1.4851940
Old Mar 13, 2020, 12:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by Need
Canada bans all cruise ship over 500 people until July. I guess if we didn't cancel our May's Alaska cruise, it would have been cancelled for us.
Time to book Seabourn's and Silversea's smaller ships.

Edit: Maybe not, after reading the article, the 500 includes crew as well.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 12:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Need
Unless the Congress passes some short term relief to the PVSA this will gut a large portion of the Alaska cruise season. And I note they say they will revisit the ban in late June to see if it needs to be extended.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by 747FC
Time to book Seabourn's and Silversea's smaller ships.

Edit: Maybe not, after reading the article, the 500 includes crew as well.
Problem is that they include staff, crew, and passengers in that count. Only the smaller expedition ships meet that limit.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 11:14 am
Moderator, SkyTeam and Germany

Programs: BA, LH, KL, EY, IHG, Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, Radisson
Originally Posted by ralfkrippner
Well, we had some business meetings with italian partners and customers (not from regions with corona infections), but as celebrity added the whole of Italy to the denied bording statement we have to cancel our Chile to SAN trip next sunday. Hope I can use the resulting credit for a cruise in 2021.
Good that we didn't take this trip. This cruise is the one that was cancelled on the day of departure this sunday, leaving several hundred pax stranded in Chile. The Eclipse is still circling outside of Port San Antonio. Chile decided on Sunday to not allow any cruises coming in. This is especially problematic as international flights into south america are getting cancelled since sunday now.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 12:55 pm

Programs: UA .5M, Vistana 1-Star owner
We cancelled our March 8 RCCL cruise and have no plans for any cruising for 4y since the unsanitary conditions on board has lowered our confidence given our many young kids.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 1:10 pm
Original Poster

We pulled the plug on our Antarctica cruise this December. Haven't yet received deposit back from Seabourn, but it has only been two days.

Can't invision a good scenario for travel for quite some time.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 3:01 pm

We pulled the plug on our Antarctica cruise this December. Haven't yet received deposit back from Seabourn, but it has only been two days.

Can't invision a good scenario for travel for quite some time.
We decided not to book an August 2021 cruise. Two factors. One, my wife was set to graduate post-grad school in July 2021 and this was her graduation gift. Problem is they have delayed the school’s residency scheduled for this June and have pushed the whole schedule out. While no details they are talking about a later 2021 graduation. Two, even if school gets back on schedule I’m not sure what the cruise industry is going to look like. If this pandemic goes several more months I would expect a pretty significant revamping. Could be nothing but could be lower fares to reenergize the industry and maybe fewer lines and ships until demand returns. The diehard cruise customers will return quickly but getting new cruisers will be a challenge.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 3:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Randyk47
The diehard cruise customers will return quickly but getting new cruisers will be a challenge.
And the industry--with its vast fleet expansion and refitting of older ships for higher capacity--requires lots of new cruisers.

My wife was set to join me in retirement sometime this year, and our retirement concept included lots of travel. I believe we will have to rethink what retirement means for us.
Randyk47 likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 5:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
our retirement concept included lots of travel
Same here. I'll be retiring in two years, and was planning for 4-6 cruises a year. We'll have to see what happens.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 7:24 pm
Original Poster

What would be your barriers to re-entry?

I received a survey from Seabourn, soliciting opinions about where I might cruise again, and where I feared going in light of the COVID-19. I gave them some feedback in free-form as well:

One deep concern I have going forward is that employees are flown from all over the world on little aluminium tubes called airplanes, arriving just before embarkation. The thought of this in a COVID world scares me. I think that cruise lines need to implement a very rigorous screening procedure for employee embarkation that would go well beyond questionnaires and temperature checks. Perhaps 14-day on-shore quarantines would be needed, or swabs of employees for traces of COVID-19 on their person.

And, what do we do with the passengers who face the same issues?
Randyk47 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.