Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Your Next Cruise: Are you Having Second Thoughts Due to Fears of Pandemic?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your Next Cruise: Are you Having Second Thoughts Due to Fears of Pandemic?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2020, 5:38 am

Originally Posted by travelinmanS
This is a good point. I’m in China now, I entered using e channel. If I exit and travel to Korea there will be no record stamped in my passport. I could then exit Korea and fly to Japan and use my japan frequent traveler card to avoid the Japan stamp then fly to the USA and use global entry to enter. China to Korea to Japan to the USA all with no stamps. Using passport stamps to track travel is an outdated idea. But since the virus is everywhere there’s really no sense in discriminating against certain countries or regions. Either decide to take the risk or cancel all cruises for 3 months.
Deleted

Last edited by RetiredATLATC; Mar 7, 2020 at 6:07 am
Old Mar 7, 2020, 2:47 pm

NCL is offering "full refunds" but then have an asterisk saying "credit"

Not only deceptive but that may be illegal in some states, maybe some Attorney Generals would like to take it up
Old Mar 7, 2020, 5:09 pm

Programs: Delta Plat & Million Miler
Cruise Lines

Most of the main US cruise lines are now offering flexible cancellation for at least a short while. For example, Celebrity will let a fully-paid cruiser cancel if at least 48 hours out from the cruise. Refund is a future cruise deposit for full amount good for two years.

Others have similar policies. Carnival and Princess are giving those who do NOT cancel extra on board credit.
Old Mar 7, 2020, 7:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Seabourn has a new cancellation policy. It appears to be very weak compared to Silversea, requiring a 30-day notice, and only then getting a future cruise credit.

https://www.seabourn.com/en_US/book-...onfidence.html

So glad I booked my flights with miles!
Old Mar 7, 2020, 11:59 pm

Originally Posted by gretchendz
Most of the main US cruise lines are now offering flexible cancellation for at least a short while. For example, Celebrity will let a fully-paid cruiser cancel if at least 48 hours out from the cruise. Refund is a future cruise deposit for full amount good for two years.

Others have similar policies. Carnival and Princess are giving those who do NOT cancel extra on board credit.
For the Celebrity refund, if you know that you are not going, it is better to get refund sooner than wait until 48 hours. They will refund you cash for the non-penalty portion. The deposit and the penalty will be refunded in future cruise credit. But if you wait until 48 hours... when penalty is at 100%, you get everything in future cruise credit. Cash > cruise credit. I don't see this thing going away by June or July. I am going to call for refund tomorrow... since it would be 77 days out, I will have 25% in future cruise credit and rest back to my credit card.
gretchendz likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2020, 4:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 747FC
You may not have a stamp in your passport, and you may use GE, but do know that CPB will know you have been to Japan, and maybe beyond that.
I assume CPB knows everywhere I’ve been. My comment was in reference to Royal Caribbean or another cruise line using passport stamps to deny people boarding based on recent travel to affected areas.
Old Mar 8, 2020, 2:11 pm

From US State Dept:
Passengers on Cruise Ships

U.S. citizens, particularly travelers with underlying health conditions, should not travel by cruise ship. CDC notes increased risk of infection of COVID-19 in a cruise ship environment. In order to curb the spread of COVID-19, many countries have implemented strict screening procedures that have denied port entry rights to ships and prevented passengers from disembarking. In some cases, local authorities have permitted disembarkation but subjected passengers to local quarantine procedures. While the U.S. government has evacuated some cruise ship passengers in recent weeks, repatriation flights should not be relied upon as an option for U.S. citizens under the potential risk of quarantine by local authorities.

This is a fluid situation. CDC notes that older adults and travelers with underlying health issues should avoid situations that put them at increased risk for more severe disease. This entails avoiding crowded places, avoiding non-essential travel such as long plane trips, and especially avoiding embarking on cruise ships. Passengers with plans to travel by cruise ship should contact their cruise line companies directly for further information and continue to monitor the Travel.state.gov website and see the latest information from the CDC: https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/cruise/index.html.
Old Mar 8, 2020, 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by Need
From US State Dept:
So I am going to guess that because its not outright banned, Cruise companies will take it as a suggestion, and still not issue actual refunds.

Part of me wonders how much cash some of these Cruise companies have on-hand and if they had to refund would they be completely out-of-business
Old Mar 8, 2020, 7:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by mysterym
So I am going to guess that because its not outright banned, Cruise companies will take it as a suggestion, and still not issue actual refunds.
It's completely voluntary on everyone's part.

Originally Posted by mysterym
Part of me wonders how much cash some of these Cruise companies have on-hand and if they had to refund would they be completely out-of-business
If they cancel a cruise, there are no expenses (other than parking somewhere), so I would expect any loss to be relatively low.

Last edited by mahasamatman; Mar 8, 2020 at 8:17 pm
Old Mar 8, 2020, 7:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I
If they cancel a cruise, there are no expenses (other than parking somewhere), so I would expect any loss to be relatively low.
I would beg to differ. There are enormous expenses related to ongoing maintenance (personnel and equipment), as well as financing charges. Sure, you can release most of the housekeeping and entertainment staff, but you need your maintenance and engineering personnel, as well as the ship's leadership team.
Hoyaheel likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2020, 8:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by 747FC
I would beg to differ. There are enormous expenses related to ongoing maintenance (personnel and equipment), as well as financing charges. Sure, you can release most of the housekeeping and entertainment staff, but you need your maintenance and engineering personnel, as well as the ship's leadership team.
An idle ship only requires a skeleton crew, minimal food costs, and negligible fuel, which are the major costs. Financing costs are amortized over the life of the ship, which doesn't significantly change by cancelling a few cruises. Certainly nothing to force a cruise line into bankruptcy.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 6:48 am

Originally Posted by mahasamatman

highly doubt that is the case

there are TONS of expenses

i am going to guess the biggest expenses is loans aka notes they took out to pay for the ships...

what i was insinuating was if they had to give refunds / lost significant cash in-flow due to drop in bookings, could they pay basic things such as notes, dockage, etc.

i havent looked into how much cash on hand these companies keep or if they basically live month-to-month. they are public companies so it might actually be easy to figure out...
Old Mar 9, 2020, 10:18 am
Moderator, SkyTeam and Germany

Programs: BA, LH, KL, EY, IHG, Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, Radisson
Originally Posted by ralfkrippner
We'll hopefully board Celebrity cruises Eclipse on March 15 from Chile to California. "Hopefully" because airlines or cruise line might change their offerings or deny boarding if the virus spreads more in Europe (Germany for me) or in the US. I've also booked a cruise in July from Toronto. I will not change my private life based on risks due to Corona. I hope that with better weather in spring the virus will go away mostly and that soon there will be vaccines available.
Well, we had some business meetings with italian partners and customers (not from regions with corona infections), but as celebrity added the whole of Italy to the denied bording statement we have to cancel our Chile to SAN trip next sunday. Hope I can use the resulting credit for a cruise in 2021.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by ralfkrippner
Well, we had some business meetings with italian partners and customers (not from regions with corona infections), but as celebrity added the whole of Italy to the denied bording statement we have to cancel our Chile to SAN trip next sunday. Hope I can use the resulting credit for a cruise in 2021.
If they are going to deny you boarding, you should be entitled to a refund. Note, I see they're trying to conserve cash and it is only in a form of credit.

All guests who are denied boarding due to these restrictions will receive full refunds in the form of a Future Cruise Credit.
Wonder which major cruiseco will be the first to run into cash crunch/go bankrupt.

Adding:
Also wondering if this is the equivalent of the May 1937 Lakehurst event for large cruise ships (i.e., a Hindenburg event).

Last edited by YVR Cockroach; Mar 9, 2020 at 2:56 pm Reason: Addendum x 2
Old Mar 10, 2020, 5:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
I'm sure a lot of posters already know this, but one of the best places to learn about the cruise lines' cancel policies (aside from the cruise lines' own websites, which may or may not have the detailed info) is the forums ("Boards" aka "Cruise Critic Community") on cruisecritic.com. Look under "Cruise Lines" and also under "ROLL CALLS" -- both headings have a list of the cruise lines.

Princess has, of course, been cancelling some of its upcoming cruises (at least on its COVID-19-affected ships, i.e., Diamond Princess and Grand Princess). There are active discussions on this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.