Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Your Next Cruise: Are you Having Second Thoughts Due to Fears of Pandemic?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your Next Cruise: Are you Having Second Thoughts Due to Fears of Pandemic?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2023, 10:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Hey folks,

I'm not a moderator, but am the OP.

With an eye on making sure moderators don't close this thread:

Isn't a bit late in the pandemic to be litigating whether or not vaccines are useful or not?
dgreen12, SPN Lifer and gretchendz like this.
Old Sep 3, 2023, 12:31 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
That's been an issue since long before COVID.
I started cruising again almost immediately after the ban was lifted and on Seabourn, Silversea and Princess, the buffets were most definitely not self-service at that time.
Old Sep 3, 2023, 1:10 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by 747FC
Hey folks,

I'm not a moderator, but am the OP.

With an eye on making sure moderators don't close this thread:

Isn't a bit late in the pandemic to be litigating whether or not vaccines are useful or not?
I think, and I believe most people on this board would agree that's it's way past time to continue talking about this subject unless something drastic happens in the near future, as this thread will most likely be closed. I'm not on either bandwagon but look at cruise ships before this pandemic as a petri dish for all sorts of issues and take my precautions either way.
Old Feb 6, 2024, 1:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
COVID Update

Well, back from my Viking Venus Search for the Northern Lights cruise. Just like the rest of the world, there are no Covid requirements or testing. On our cruise with 890 passengers plus staff, aside from my wife and I who constantly wore our masks save for eating, we saw just a very few others who were masked (maybe less than 20 sightings) -- mostly on shore excursion buses or in the theatre.

By the end of the trip, coughing could be heard everywhere.

I ended up getting Covid, which I diagnosed upon arrival back home. Turns out the early symptoms for me were frequent sneezing and runny nose--felt like an allergic response. No fever or other signs.

I think I got it chatting with the pretty barista early in the morning while unmasked and sipping my latte. I remember asking her if she was going to be having a day off before our arrival, and said "no." Turns out she was "no show" on the last morning of embarkation, so I suspect that she was "quarantined."

An interesting note: Our stateroom neighbor asked me about our mask wearing and said that she was going to be wearing one too, but noticed no one wearing masks. Turns our she is a Pulmonologist/Critical Care doctor. Curious to me that she changed her decision based upon popular conduct.

[mod edit] Just reporting an update to the world of cruising and covid.

BTW, I fully recovered and followed CDC guidelines to re-enter society exactly one week after my first symptoms appeared. Glad I got the updated vaccine three weeks before this sailing.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Feb 14, 2024 at 1:15 am
Old Feb 7, 2024, 8:48 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by 747FC
Well, back from my Viking Venus Search for the Northern Lights cruise. Just like the rest of the world, there are no Covid requirements or testing. On our cruise with 890 passengers plus staff, aside from my wife and I who constantly wore our masks save for eating, we saw just a very few others who were masked (maybe less than 20 sightings) -- mostly on shore excursion buses or in the theatre.

By the end of the trip, coughing could be heard everywhere.

I ended up getting Covid, which I diagnosed upon arrival back home. Turns out the early symptoms for me were frequent sneezing and runny nose--felt like an allergic response. No fever or other signs.

I think I got it chatting with the pretty barista early in the morning while unmasked and sipping my latte. I remember asking her if she was going to be having a day off before our arrival, and said "no." Turns out she was "no show" on the last morning of embarkation, so I suspect that she was "quarantined."

An interesting note: Our stateroom neighbor asked me about our mask wearing and said that she was going to be wearing one too, but noticed no one wearing masks. Turns our she is a Pulmonologist/Critical Care doctor. Curious to me that she changed her decision based upon popular conduct.

[mod edit] Just reporting an update to the world of cruising and covid.

BTW, I fully recovered and followed CDC guidelines to re-enter society exactly one week after my first symptoms appeared. Glad I got the updated vaccine three weeks before this sailing.
Yup
The only time I got clinical Covid was immediately after coming home from a cruise.
It felt like an upper respiratory infection with mild rhinitis and minimal sore throat, without fever or other symptoms. I took the home test as a joke and it was positive, which blew me away.
Recovery was about a day or two which I attributed to up to date vaccination. I did not mask on any part of the trips as is my wont when traveling.
It is difficult for me to advocate for Covid preventative measures other than vaccination when my hospital will not even offer to vaccinate its staff and tells us that if we have non-clinical Covid (i.e. no symptoms, just test positive) to come to work and wear a mask.

[mod edit]

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Feb 14, 2024 at 1:17 am Reason: Let’s stay clear of mask discussion
Old Feb 7, 2024, 9:35 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
So far since 2019 while I was on a cruise all the way until now, and cruised again, only tested positive last year without any symptoms but sore muscles for one day. And I didn't catch it from a cruise ship but from eating outdoors (the only time I took my mask off ) at the festival to eat. I took the covid test because I couldn't figure out why all my muscles were sore and yes positive. Went to the hospital immediately to get a confirmation, and again tested positive that same day. Got back home and felt normal again. And I haven't had any vaccinations because I can't take them, and I fall into the immuno-compromised. So, I'm surprised actually. For me the masks work, because I haven't had a cold/flu or anything else since 2019 when I started wearing masks.
Old Feb 7, 2024, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Haven't been on a cruise (or even flew in any a/c until last November) since COVID started. Will be on a cruise in a few months (and 19-flight trip starting this weekend) and plan to mask (short, hopefulyl warm, and plan to be outside). May or may not be effective but I'm a believer that getting a lower dose of virus minimizes the impact, and there's the effect of long COVID and other symptoms observed in my neighbours. Am up to date on the vaccinations (as offered) and even got a 'flu vaccination for the first time late last year (took more out of me than expected). May have been effective on a TATL r/t flight as well as when being in crowded spaces in Europe for 3+ weeks. No apparent symptoms.
gretchendz likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2024, 6:52 am

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
Haven't been on a cruise (or even flew in any a/c until last November) since COVID started. Will be on a cruise in a few months (and 19-flight trip starting this weekend) and plan to mask (short, hopefulyl warm, and plan to be outside). May or may not be effective but I'm a believer that getting a lower dose of virus minimizes the impact, and there's the effect of long COVID and other symptoms observed in my neighbours. Am up to date on the vaccinations (as offered) and even got a 'flu vaccination for the first time late last year (took more out of me than expected). May have been effective on a TATL r/t flight as well as when being in crowded spaces in Europe for 3+ weeks. No apparent symptoms.
I believe like many experts, it's the amount of virus particles you come in contact with that your natural immune system can't fight determines how bad you get. I believe that's what happened to me with only a slight symptom for one day.
YVR Cockroach likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2024, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
I’m not having second thoughts. I cruised twice last year. But it’s been a while since I had a COVID vaccination. Despite the vaccine makers inability to keep up with new variants, I’m considering a booster before my next cruise in June.
Old Feb 14, 2024, 5:41 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
We’ve kind of pushed the concern of Covid aside, really not an issue though we know it’s still out there and not to be ignored. More recently it has been the ravages of aging and injury along with one medical miracle. The medical miracle was our cruise partners’ daughter having a baby after having survived leukemia. While they did have to implant a donor egg she was able to carry the fetus to a full and healthy delivery of a baby girl just before Christmas. That caused us to bail on a cruise that would have been right at her delivery date. The aging issue was also with our friends as the husband has arthritis in his spine and had to have back surgery a couple of weeks ago with a long recovery period ahead. Add that his wife has to have hip surgery for a torn ligament in late March. Those caused us to delay an April cruise that had been the replacement for the delayed December cruise. So now we’re booked for a cruise early next year and hopefully we’ll all be healed, healthy, and ready. Point is there are lots of other issues than just Covid.
Old Feb 16, 2024, 11:43 am

Programs: DL 2MM, AA ExPlat, UA S, HH S, MR LT Titanium, National Exec
I think it can be hit or miss. My wife went on an Alaska cruise last August and came home with Covid. We got back last week from a Carribean cruise and are both fine. August was Royal and the recent one was Seabourn.

We were more concerned with the PAX in the row in front of us on the flight home that was hacking up a lung the entire flight.
gretchendz likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2024, 2:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by GaryDD
My wife went on an Alaska cruise last August and came home with Covid.
Everyone we personally know who has cruised to Alaska has come back with COVID (including us).

You just have to take the precautions you feel are necessary (which can range from none to excessive) and accept that nothing is 100% guaranteed.
gretchendz likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2024, 9:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Randyk47
We’ve kind of pushed the concern of Covid aside, really not an issue though we know it’s still out there and not to be ignored. More recently it has been the ravages of aging and injury along with one medical miracle. The medical miracle was our cruise partners’ daughter having a baby after having survived leukemia. While they did have to implant a donor egg she was able to carry the fetus to a full and healthy delivery of a baby girl just before Christmas. That caused us to bail on a cruise that would have been right at her delivery date. The aging issue was also with our friends as the husband has arthritis in his spine and had to have back surgery a couple of weeks ago with a long recovery period ahead. Add that his wife has to have hip surgery for a torn ligament in late March. Those caused us to delay an April cruise that had been the replacement for the delayed December cruise. So now we’re booked for a cruise early next year and hopefully we’ll all be healed, healthy, and ready. Point is there are lots of other issues than just Covid.
I am sad to post that David LeCraw passed away this evening. David had major back surgery exactly four weeks ago today and seemed to be on the mend. We met David and his wife Lynn 10 years ago on a Silversea cruise and became instant friends. Over the 10 years we have cruised together several times and visited each other’s homes more times than I want to think about right now. David was “Bro” and Lynn is “Sis” to us, without doubt our best friends. Rest in peace “Bro”, see you on that forever cruise someday. 😥
Old Feb 19, 2024, 10:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by Randyk47
I am sad to post that David LeCraw passed away this evening. David had major back surgery exactly four weeks ago today and seemed to be on the mend. We met David and his wife Lynn 10 years ago on a Silversea cruise and became instant friends. Over the 10 years we have cruised together several times and visited each other’s homes more times than I want to think about right now. David was “Bro” and Lynn is “Sis” to us, without doubt our best friends. Rest in peace “Bro”, see you on that forever cruise someday. 😥
My condolences to you and your wife, as well as to the LeCraws. May David's memory be a blessing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.