Search

Stop the cruise I want to get off

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2018, 6:04 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by theddo
The only suggestion you have received, that you have so far been utterly reluctant and rude about, is to call ahead and it will not be any problem what so ever but the cruise line would presumably want some warning so the can prepare everything before you leave.

That is a reasonable suggestion to most normal human beings. Consider why you don't find it that way.
Again, you appear to have nothing of value to add to this thread and are here only to lecture and insult.

Perhaps you should answer your own question.

Originally Posted by theddo
Why do people keep responding to this thread? Badenoch has decided to be a dick about the whole situation
In an effort to contribute something of value in this most recent exchange, Canadian cruisers should note that according to the CBSA, if you enter Canada on a cruise even if you don't leave the ship it resets your exemption limits. The cruise I'm considering makes stops in Canada then concludes in the U.S.A. The options are to make a declaration and either take your items back on the ship only to bring them back into Canada later or ship them home. If you take them with you retain a copy of your declaration forms and all receipts.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 6:15 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by Often1
Hopefully OP when he says "cruise lines" means the cruise line and CBSA means CBSA for Halifax at the date and time of his cruise.

The rest was just being difficult.

Not only is that foolish, but it can have all manner of consequences, not the least of which is assuring that the ship's paperwork does not manifest him on entry to the US. A no show there may yield all manner of problems for him in future should he ever wish to travel south again.
Let me reiterate that I have discussed this with CBSA in Halifax, the cruise company on which I intend to book and checked with a couple of others to get their policies on the matter. Early disembarkations are by all accounts routine and easily managed.

Your second point is unclear. Are you suggesting that if I get off the ship earlier the cruise line would include my name on the manifest upon arrival in the U.S. even though they'd know I'd left earlier?
Old Feb 20, 2018, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I have done exactly this so will give details of my experience.

First, the fly in the ointment of any plan to just walk off and not come back is that the ship keeps your passport.

In any case - here's my story.

We were embarking in Singapore and desired to disembark in Mumbai rather that staying on board to Dubai.

Step 1: I contacted my Travel Agent (one of many reasons I use them for cruises, and they don't cost me a penny). Who said I'll check with the cruise line for you.
Step 2: He adds that although he will do so, he talked about how it can be port specific in terms of facilities, in terms of the proper officials being present, and in terms of Indian policy. It may or may not be possible.
Step 3: He let's me know that the cruise line is looking into it. ...time passes...
Step 4: Response, yes it will be possible, the cruise line has checked with the port authorities, the ship will make the arrangements and to see the purser when we board in Singapore to confirm everything.
Step 5: We board and decide to wait a day before asking for the purser, since boarding day is always hectic.
Step 6: The next day is a day at sea, and mid-morning the purser calls us to welcome us on board, and to say she had our request and to set up a time to talk.
Step 7: In her office. She has all the paperwork ready, sign this, sign that, walked us through the process and had us sign a document stating that we doing it on our own volition, and that we would be receiving no reduction in fare or other compensation. That this was entirely at our request and we would not petition for any compensation. Finally, that we should talk with reception the night before our disembarkation.
Step 8: Last evening before we can contact reception they call US to say please stop by to complete your paperwork.
Step 9: We do so, and they have our final bill ready for review and they hand us back our passports and ask us to be at reception with our bags at a certain time in the morning, did we need help with the luggage (we didn't).
Step 10: The purser greets us at reception along with the Guest Services Manager (yes, truly, not one but two senior officers) along with a steward.
Step 11: They walk us off the ship and to the immigration facilities on the dock - small port just a desk really. They help us complete the process and then load our bags into the car that waiting for us. They wave as we drive off.
Step 12: A quick stop at the customs office by the port entrance and we're finished.

Leaving early is not trivial.
bicker and 747FC like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.