Reload this Page >

Stop the cruise I want to get off

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Stop the cruise I want to get off

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2018, 12:13 am

I would call the cruise line and ask if the fare is lower if you shorten your cruise by a day, and depart in Halifax instead of New York.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 4:36 am

I would definitely not go into such a venture assuming that the fare would be lower. File that in the "it can't hurt to ask" file, and feel fortunate if they even agree to have you officially disembark the cruise in Halifax.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 7:30 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by bicker
I would definitely not go into such a venture assuming that the fare would be lower. File that in the "it can't hurt to ask" file, and feel fortunate if they even agree to have you officially disembark the cruise in Halifax.
Fortunate if they even agree? Seriously? It's a cruise ship not the Cap Arcona.

I contacted the CBSA and a couple of cruise lines to get the official answer from them. I'll post the info when I get it.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 7:44 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum; Amex Plat; Four Seasons; Fairmont; HH; etc.; "Retirees-In-Training"
Originally Posted by Badenoch
Fortunate if they even agree? Seriously? It's a cruise ship not the Cap Arcona.

I contacted the CBSA and a couple of cruise lines to get the official answer from them. I'll post the info when I get it.
Good.

Going through the proper channels - and finding out the actual answers - is the way to go to help smooth the way no matter what.

As you, and many of us responding, have pointed out, you aren't a prisoner on the ship.
But there IS the matter of making the situation easier rather than guaranteeing some (or much) difficulty at the time by catching everyone off guard.

Also, by contacting several cruise lines, you may well find they vary in terms of how simple/easy the process will be, even if it's just finding the right person/department to handle the details for you. If you don't already have a specific cruise/itinerary/cruise line in mind, then this could be a good way to choose, at least for this particular cruise "to" Halifax

GC
Old Feb 9, 2018, 8:35 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GeezerCouple
Also, by contacting several cruise lines, you may well find they vary in terms of how simple/easy the process will be, even if it's just finding the right person/department to handle the details for you. If you don't already have a specific cruise/itinerary/cruise line in mind, then this could be a good way to choose, at least for this particular cruise "to" Halifax
Good suggestion. I've contacted two already but will add a third before reporting back. Thanks.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 10:31 am

Fortunate if they even agree?
Yes: Consider yourself fortunate if they even agree to have you officially disembark the cruise in Halifax.

Seriously? It's a cruise ship not the Cap Arcona.
It's a cruise ship, not a city bus.

Originally Posted by GeezerCouple
Good. Going through the proper channels - and finding out the actual answers - is the way to go to help smooth the way no matter what. As you, and many of us responding, have pointed out, you aren't a prisoner on the ship.
Correct. That's why I said "officially". If a passenger wants to just pack their stuff and carry everything off themselves, likely no one will stop them (except perhaps local authorities - not every port is set up for customs), and with that itinerary there likely won't be any ramifications, since that itinerary isn't subject to PVSA. However, if you do that on an itinerary that is subject to PVSA, you can expect to see a fine passed along to you on your credit card.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 11:07 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Yes: Consider yourself fortunate if they even agree to have you officially disembark the cruise in Halifax.

It's a cruise ship, not a city bus.
Whether they agree or not is, as I am learning, not that relevant. If one seriously intends to to disembark there is very little the cruise line can do to prevent it.

You get off a city bus at the predetermined locations by letting the driver know just before you reach the stop. In this regard, the cruise ship is very much like a city bus.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Here's the rules for Royal Caribbean https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/q...cruise-request Should be similar for Celebrity as they are the same parent company?
Old Feb 10, 2018, 6:01 am

If a passenger wants to just pack their stuff and carry everything off themselves, likely no one will stop them (except perhaps local authorities - not every port is set up for customs), and with that itinerary there likely won't be any ramifications, since that itinerary isn't subject to PVSA. However, if you do that on an itinerary that is subject to PVSA, you can expect to see a fine passed along to you on your credit card.
Whether they agree or not is, as I am learning, not that relevant. If one seriously intends to to disembark there is very little the cruise line can do to prevent it.
I'm confused; isn't that what I just posted?
You get off a city bus at the predetermined locations by letting the driver know just before you reach the stop. In this regard, the cruise ship is very much like a city bus.
Except it isn't. That's a preemptive rationalization for what you want to do. However, I'm not inclined to argue with you about it.

Originally Posted by wrp96
Here's the rules for Royal Caribbean https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/q...cruise-request Should be similar for Celebrity as they are the same parent company?
Important aspects of the policy that some might overlook:
Requests for security clearance concerning late boarding or early departure must be submitted in writing to the Guest Flight Operations office for consideration at least one week prior to sail date.

Prepaid gratuities will be added to all approved reservations for the length of cruise.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 6:28 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wrp96
These requirements apply more for people who want to get on the ship mid-cruise than those who want to get off early.

After contacting the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) and three cruise lines including the one I may sail the results are surprisingly mundane.

It is apparently quite common for passengers and crew to leave a ship before it reaches its final destination due to staff reassignments, entertainers leaving, changes in travel plans, family emergencies, medical issues, etc.

The CBSA said all that is required is to inform them upon arrival of your intentions and the passenger would undergo the same screening as any other border entry to Canada. Their cruise ship facility in Halifax is open from 8am to midnight. They confirmed a Canadian citizen would not be prevented from entering the country under any circumstance.

The answers from the cruise lines were generally similar although it was a challenge finding someone to speak with who was knowledgeable and could answer questions. I spent a lot of time on hold.

They agreed it was quite typical for people to leave before the final destination. A passenger does not need “approval” to depart or written permission. They could accommodate a final departure at any time but stressed that earlier notice would be appreciated and paperwork would make the process smoother but not impossible.

There was no mention of additional fees for an entry into Canada and they dismissed any suggestion that a passenger who wanted off would be prevented from leaving the ship. They did make clear however that once disembarked I would not be allowed to return and was entirely on my own regarding customs and ground transportation, etc.

The advice received was specific to an entry into Canada by a Canadian from a ship that originated outside of the U.S.A. There are different regulations for other countries, nationalities and itineraries. Check with your line and the relevant government authorities.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 8:04 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Check with your line and the relevant government authorities.
Which is exactly the point-notify your cruise line of your intent and don't play games with them.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 9:53 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 747FC
Which is exactly the point-notify your cruise line of your intent and don't play games with them.
Notification is appreciated, undoubtedly makes the process smoother for all concerned and the sooner the notice the better. However, those posters who suggested that "permission" is required, that one would be "fortunate" if the line allowed an early disembarkation or possibly prevented from leaving the vessel would appear to be misinformed.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 12:33 pm

We're not. We made very clear the context of our comments. Your knee-jerk reaction, blind to the conditions we've outlined, makes me think you're maniacally hell-bent on believing what you want to believe and doing what you want to do without regard to anything else, which is why it is pointless to argue with you about it. At this point, all that's important is that your misinformation and bravado not afflict the understanding of casual readers who may come upon this thread in the future.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 3:03 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

We're not. We made very clear the context of our comments. Your knee-jerk reaction, blind to the conditions we've outlined, makes me think you're maniacally hell-bent on believing what you want to believe and doing what you want to do without regard to anything else, which is why it is pointless to argue with you about it. At this point, all that's important is that your misinformation and bravado not afflict the understanding of casual readers who may come upon this thread in the future.
What is inaccurate is this statement.

feel fortunate if they even agree to have you officially disembark the cruise in Halifax.
Contrary to your statement there's no reason to feel "fortunate" and the cruise lines are quite agreeable to an official disembarkation. Having done the research it is evident that early disembarkation is quite easy, a regular occurrence and easily achieved for a Canadian at Halifax. I suspect there has been more drama in this thread than the actual event itself. My questions are answered.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 3:10 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
My preference would be to not signal my intent to the company and would rather let them know after we'd sailed.
Notification is appreciated, undoubtedly makes the process smoother for all concerned and the sooner the notice the better.
Kind of confusing to me...
Randyk47 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.