high end cruise lines

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

high end cruise lines

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2017, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

those who like all-inclusive, i would also recommend checking out what is possible on land (or private islands or small actual yachts) in terms of things ranging from african safaris, or safari style properties, to ultra luxury really properties with few rooms and full amenities. can be amazing.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Sep 19, 2017 at 4:27 pm
Old Sep 19, 2017, 12:23 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
Can't comment on the lux lines, but we did an Athens to Venice cruise that went into the Black Sea, including an overnight in Istanbul. Not sure anyone is doing that these days, due to, um, "concerns" (valid or not isn't my point, but I know a lot of cruise lines have reconfigured their Istanbul & Black Sea itineraries) Such gorgeous scenic cruising! Not ideal if you only want to see big cities, though.....

Have you ever used the site VacationsToGo? I've never used it to book a cruise, but it has a great search engine where you can enter possible dates, regions - and even a required port to visit (like Rome). They don't cover ALL cruiselines, but they have most of the big ones. Could give you a nice idea of the itinerary options that are out there....

Last edited by Hoyaheel; Sep 19, 2017 at 12:30 pm
Old Sep 19, 2017, 4:00 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus
We just did a Seabourn Venice to Athens 7 day cruise down the east side of the Adriatic. We loved eating on the Colonnade restaurant outdoors on Deck 8 and the weather and the speed of the cruise was perfect for it. Food ranged from very good to excellent. They have a specialty restaurant, Thomas Keller, which you can book for one night, and there is no charge but you need to make reservations well in advance. We preferred the outdoor dining. Their main dining room on Deck 4 was the choice of most most of the time. They also have a number of nice options such as salmon and steak which you can have in your room or on the pool deck, and I would imagine anywhere on the ship you want it.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

indeed turkey tourism/cruising is way down

bournemouthecho.co.uk/leisure/travel/travelstories/15401709.Travel__Why_the_new_LUX_Bodrum_is_the_per fect_sunshine_escape/
"A few years ago, 600 cruise ships came to this coastline," says Ummahan's son, Engin, who runs the co-operative. "Last year there were 300, and now we have 20."
Old Sep 24, 2017, 11:08 am

My trip 4 weeks ago with the new aidaperla was wonderful.Has anyone any experience with Aida cruises?
Old Sep 24, 2017, 11:15 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by Line80
My trip 4 weeks ago with the new aidaperla was wonderful.Has anyone any experience with Aida cruises?
What made it "wonderful" and in comparison to what previous cruise experiences?
Old Sep 24, 2017, 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by atwnsw2
My wife and I are 53, no kids, and want to take a 7-8 day luxury cruise in the Mediterranean next summer.

Cruise History:
Queen Elizabeth II Cruise (Very formal, prefer casual)
Alaska Silver Sea (Food was disappointing but liked small size ship)
Amawaterway Rhine River cruise (Okay overall).

Travel History:
We have been to Venice.
We have never been to Rome so that is a mandatory stop on the front or back end.

Critical Factors:
Money isn't an issue
We really want good food.

Regarding destinations, we can either go East or West from Rome. If we go West, then we could theoretically go as far as Barcelona. Going East to Greece and Croatia sounds interesting but I am a little concerned about the suffering economy (Greece) and totally unfamiliar with Croatia.

Questions:

1) Any feedback on the Eastern itineraries which include Greece & Croatia? Where would you suggest we go (East or West from Rom)?

2) What is the best cruise line for food in the Mediterranean?

3) What time of year would you go?

Thanks in advance.
Our first two cruises on Seabourn (Caribbean and Baltic) were lovely. Our next three were on Silversea Spirit (Western Caribbean, Western Med and Athens round trip) were lovely as well. Our first two on Silversea, we thought the food was better than Seabourn - we enjoyed eating outside at "Hot Rocks", however, we were disappointed in the food a few weeks ago on our Athens trip. We did have a great two night visit in Athens on the front end of our cruise - highly recommend the Hotel Grand Bretagne. At the airport, we met folks who were on a similar itenery aboard SeaDream. They said he food was delicious. Food is very subjective. We had a ball on our Rome to Nice Silversea cruise this year - mid April to early May. Perfect weather! (Though a little chilly some nights to eat outside.
Have you read individual cruise reviews on cruisecritic.com?
Old Sep 24, 2017, 3:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by 747FC
What made it "wonderful" and in comparison to what previous cruise experiences?
I would hardly put the German centric Aida in the luxury or high end category of cruise lines and ships. Not saying they’re bad but they’re not small all-inclusive ships and really belong in the mass market category.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.