FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - high end cruise lines
View Single Post
Old Sep 24, 2017, 2:40 pm
Sunny 1

Originally Posted by atwnsw2
My wife and I are 53, no kids, and want to take a 7-8 day luxury cruise in the Mediterranean next summer.

Cruise History:
Queen Elizabeth II Cruise (Very formal, prefer casual)
Alaska Silver Sea (Food was disappointing but liked small size ship)
Amawaterway Rhine River cruise (Okay overall).

Travel History:
We have been to Venice.
We have never been to Rome so that is a mandatory stop on the front or back end.

Critical Factors:
Money isn't an issue
We really want good food.

Regarding destinations, we can either go East or West from Rome. If we go West, then we could theoretically go as far as Barcelona. Going East to Greece and Croatia sounds interesting but I am a little concerned about the suffering economy (Greece) and totally unfamiliar with Croatia.

Questions:

1) Any feedback on the Eastern itineraries which include Greece & Croatia? Where would you suggest we go (East or West from Rom)?

2) What is the best cruise line for food in the Mediterranean?

3) What time of year would you go?

Thanks in advance.
Our first two cruises on Seabourn (Caribbean and Baltic) were lovely. Our next three were on Silversea Spirit (Western Caribbean, Western Med and Athens round trip) were lovely as well. Our first two on Silversea, we thought the food was better than Seabourn - we enjoyed eating outside at "Hot Rocks", however, we were disappointed in the food a few weeks ago on our Athens trip. We did have a great two night visit in Athens on the front end of our cruise - highly recommend the Hotel Grand Bretagne. At the airport, we met folks who were on a similar itenery aboard SeaDream. They said he food was delicious. Food is very subjective. We had a ball on our Rome to Nice Silversea cruise this year - mid April to early May. Perfect weather! (Though a little chilly some nights to eat outside.
Have you read individual cruise reviews on cruisecritic.com?