Community
Wiki Posts
Search

high end cruise lines

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2017, 9:13 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Randyk47
We've cruised on Carnival, Celebrity, Holland America, and Silversea in everything from standard verandah cabins to multi room suites. I can't speak to other lines but none that we've been on had a "proper table for dining" in standard verandah cabins. Yes, on all Silversea ships there one or two restaurants with additional covers. We're not fond of that aspect but considering there are a number of choices without upcharges even on the smaller ships it's not been an issue. On the Wind it's one out of four venues while on the Spirit it's two out of six venues. Cruise ship bathrooms are pretty standard and the verandah cabin bathrooms on Silversea seem pretty comparable to other lines. Now the bathrooms in the higher suites, like a Silver Suite on the Spirit, are downright spacious but you get what you pay for. Always have cruised with my wife so single supplements are not something I'm familiar with but I think Silversea charges 25% for most of its standard cabins which apparently is very competitive and much better than several of the mass market lines like Holland America.
My comparison was only to Seabourn not mainstream lines that you mentioned. You can check out a video tour of the entry level veranda room here:

Old Sep 12, 2017, 9:51 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Aa
Originally Posted by prncess674
My comparison was only to Seabourn not mainstream lines that you mentioned. You can check out a video tour of the entry level veranda room here:

Seabourn Odyssey Veranda Suite Tour in 1080p - YouTube
That's a nice cabin. I'd say it compares better with the Silver Spirit than the Silver Wind. Wind bathrooms are not as big but Spirit has the separate shower like Seabourn. The rest of the cabin is pretty much the same. We actually have wanted to try Seabourn but haven't found the right itinerary, dates, and cost.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 10:38 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Aa

That's a nice cabin. I'd say it compares better with the Silver Spirit than the Silver Wind. Wind bathrooms are not as big but Spirit has the separate shower like Seabourn. The rest of the cabin is pretty much the same. We actually have wanted to try Seabourn but haven't found the right itinerary, dates, and cost.
Randy, Not sure whether you would like the itinerary, but our first Seabourn cruise was a 20-day itinerary Dubai-Monte Carlo. It was something like $5k pp for a standard cabin. (Warning: We enjoyed it so much that we just completed a $12k pp cruise with them, and are awaiting a $15k pp person one.)

If you or anyone else intends on being a first time Seabourn cruiser, PM me and I can get you a referral credit of $400 (I get one too), which can be used for OBC. The credit is combinable with whatever discounts/credits you get with your TA.

Another way of reducing the price is to by 100 shares of Carnival Corp stock. Along with its appreciation, the Sharehold credit makes it the best performing stock I own!
Old Sep 12, 2017, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by 747FC
Randy, Not sure whether you would like the itinerary, but our first Seabourn cruise was a 20-day itinerary Dubai-Monte Carlo. It was something like $5k pp for a standard cabin. (Warning: We enjoyed it so much that we just completed a $12k pp cruise with them, and are awaiting a $15k pp person one.)

If you or anyone else intends on being a first time Seabourn cruiser, PM me and I can get you a referral credit of $400 (I get one too), which can be used for OBC. The credit is combinable with whatever discounts/credits you get with your TA.

Another way of reducing the price is to by 100 shares of Carnival Corp stock. Along with its appreciation, the Sharehold credit makes it the best performing stock I own!
We're two months and one day from leaving for Rome to catch the Silver Spirit for an 18-day Rome to Dubai. Big attraction for us is the four days in Egypt which has been #1 on my bucket list for more years than I want to mention or think about. ^
Hoyaheel likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 11:40 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I originally bought CCL because I wanted the OBC but am amazed that in 4 years it has appreciated 65%
Old Sep 12, 2017, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by prncess674
I originally bought CCL because I wanted the OBC but am amazed that in 4 years it has appreciated 65%
A bit OT, but CCL has done really well, even with the weather turmoil of the past few weeks:

https://www.google.com/search?q=ccl+...hrome&ie=UTF-8
Old Sep 12, 2017, 1:08 pm

We're two months and one day from leaving for Rome to catch the Silver Spirit for an 18-day Rome to Dubai. Big attraction for us is the four days in Egypt which has been #1 on my bucket list for more years than I want to mention or think about. ^
I truly hope that your experience exceeds your expectations!

Just looked at a Silverseas cruise in SE Asia. We might try something new. If there is a referral credit with Silverseas that you can gain if we book, let me know.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 2:28 pm

I truly hope that your experience exceeds your expectations!

Just looked at a Silverseas cruise in SE Asia. We might try something new. If there is a referral credit with Silverseas that you can gain if we book, let me know.
The referral program with Silversea requires we sail on the same cruise together then we both get a discount and on board credit.

Really looking forward to cruise. We took the option for a land tour in Egypt and will actually be off the ship for a few days. Going to stay in the Four Seasons in Cairo so we don't have to rush through the Giza Plateau, etc., sandwiched between a four hour bus ride each way. We've also got Luxor and Valley of the Kings booked in Egypt and will go to Petra when we stop in Jordan. Of course Rome is always good and we are staying in a hotel a block away from our favorite restaurant.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 8:30 pm

going on regent to canada in 2 weeks does anybody know if they give 200 ship credit as seen 25yr celabrate was looking forward to six star service bringing 3 jackets my wife and me party of 7 wondering how do get dinner reservations for all of us cancelled some of stops as too fast ship goes in channel want to buy jewelery in canada is it good idea diamond
Old Sep 13, 2017, 1:11 am

The referral program with Silversea requires we sail on the same cruise together then we both get a discount and on board credit.

Really looking forward to cruise. We took the option for a land tour in Egypt and will actually be off the ship for a few days. Going to stay in the Four Seasons in Cairo so we don't have to rush through the Giza Plateau, etc., sandwiched between a four hour bus ride each way. We've also got Luxor and Valley of the Kings booked in Egypt and will go to Petra when we stop in Jordan. Of course Rome is always good and we are staying in a hotel a block away from our favorite restaurant.
This sounds like a great adventure! Be safe...
Old Sep 13, 2017, 8:48 am

Programs: American Airlines, Marriott, Hertz, Avis
We went on a seabourn Med cruise over the summer, and ended up befriending a few women who were on the ship solo. The ship was wonderfully social, so there were always people to chat with if you wanted to do that...otherwise it had enough empty space that you could find somewhere to be alone if that was more your style. I really loved it, and would love to do another seabourn cruise. We're seriously eyeing one of the transatlantic crossings for a future trip.

That said...my family's now looking at Regent Seven Seas for a group cruise to (6 adults, 1 nine year old) Alaska next summer. I've done some googling, it looks more family oriented than seabourn, ships a little older, but tries for same level of service, I think? And the excursions look like fun, will be my first trip to Alaska! Would love any help with things to consider or info about the cruise! Thanks!
Old Sep 13, 2017, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

comparing price per couple (not per person)

regent mariner 350 cabins
- 7 night $9600 > $12800 = $1370 > $1829 per night
- 10 night $16200 = $1620 per night
- 11 night $18200 = $1655 per night

- 12 night $17280 = $1440 per night
silversea explorer expedition 72 cabins, 11 zodiacs, ice class 1A
silversea.com/destinations/alaska-cruise/seward-anchorage-ak-to-vancouver-7818/

regular silversea had a makeshift kids club on alaska cruise i did a while ago

The World / Residensea did alaska again this past july
Old Sep 14, 2017, 10:13 am
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
Originally Posted by FlyerStef
That said...my family's now looking at Regent Seven Seas for a group cruise to (6 adults, 1 nine year old) Alaska next summer. I've done some googling, it looks more family oriented than seabourn, ships a little older, but tries for same level of service, I think? And the excursions look like fun, will be my first trip to Alaska! Would love any help with things to consider or info about the cruise! Thanks!
I would consider Crystal if you are taking kids on a luxury brand. They have a great kids program, and there will be lots of kids on an Alaska summer sailing. We took a group with kids last year (ages 8 and 4 at the time) and they all had a blast, including in the kids club. I'm sure Regent is fine too, but from what I've heard it's not going to be as kid-focused.
Randyk47 likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 10:49 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
No one's going to be as kid-focused as Disney.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 2:57 am

Originally Posted by mauld
princess674, if I may be so bold as to ask were you travelling solo ? and if so, how high are the single supplements on these cruises. (Anyone one else with that info is also welcome to comment )
Click on the singles discounts link on the left side of page at www.vacationstogo.com
Many 0 single supplement cruises including quite a few on Seabourn and other high end cruise lines.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.