Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Transatlantic Crossing

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2019, 10:29 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by Hoyaheel
There were some great prices this year for the Dubai - Piraeus itinerary (and the Singapore-Piraeus itin as well). Sadly bad timing for us- I really want to do that leg at some point - as far as I've seen, it's typically one of the cheapest per diems offered by Seabourn. I'd sail it for the ship, for Petra, and for going through the Suez Canal (yeah, I know, everyone says it's boring - still wanna do it!!) I guess most passengers don't find it an appealing cruise or the prices would be higher....
Not boring at all! It all was fascinating, and we met a bunch of fine people on board. You will not be dissappointed if you have a curious mind.

Originally Posted by BamaVol
And that's important, and what made the last cruise difficult. I think the ship could handle 4,600 pax just fine. But there was a deep cultural rift between 2 halves of the customer base. I don't know if the other side was aware of it, but one half of the passengers seemed united in their dislike for the other half. Without getting too deep into it, over 2,000 were cosmetic salespeople on an award cruise.
We were on the Atlantica to Norway, which had 2000 or so px, and had sailed that ship before and loved it. After our "disaster" repo cruise with Costa, we swore off them until we found a particular itinerary that we liked. We decided to give them one more try, but in a suite--as a way of isolating ourselves from the craziness, It worked! However, shortly afterwards, the Concordia disaster happened, and the facts of that case cemented our concerns about the Costa corporate culture.
Hoyaheel likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 1:02 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
There were some great prices this year for the Dubai - Piraeus itinerary (and the Singapore-Piraeus itin as well). Sadly bad timing for us- I really want to do that leg at some point - as far as I've seen, it's typically one of the cheapest per diems offered by Seabourn. I'd sail it for the ship, for Petra, and for going through the Suez Canal (yeah, I know, everyone says it's boring - still wanna do it!!) I guess most passengers don't find it an appealing cruise or the prices would be higher....
I just added this (Dubai-Piraeus) itinerary to the top of my future cruising list. Reasonable cost and port cities that interest me very much!
Hoyaheel, Randyk47 and 747FC like this.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 5:55 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Global Adventurer
I just added this (Dubai-Piraeus) itinerary to the top of my future cruising list. Reasonable cost and port cities that interest me very much!
We did Rome to Dubai so pretty close to the same itinerary. The main hook for us were the two stops in Egypt, Alexandria to get to Cairo and Safaga to get to Luxor, and a stop in Aqaba to get to Petra. I agree with 747FC that the slow cruise through the Suez Canal was fascinating. Having been through the Panama Canal I can now say I’ve done them both.
Hoyaheel likes this.

Last edited by Randyk47; Jul 13, 2019 at 8:28 am
Old Jul 13, 2019, 7:47 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
Originally Posted by Randyk47
Having been through the Panama Canal I can now say I’ve done the both.
Yep, that's my goal. We love seeing other ships & boats. I can take my husband on vacation ANYWHERE if I tell him he can look at boats ;-) The reason I said "boring" when I first noted my goal is that whenever I've said I loved the Panama Canal and can't wait to go through the Suez, people respond that they're nothing alike (duh, I've studied the history and geology and geography ;-) and that the Suez is boring compared to Panama. So I'm glad that immediately here two people have assured me it's not boring! I have always assumed it's just a different experience - I didn't expect it to be the same. The locks on the Main-Danube canal aren't the same either, but they were very interesting to pass through!
gretchendz likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 8:41 am

Yep, that's my goal. We love seeing other ships & boats. I can take my husband on vacation ANYWHERE if I tell him he can look at boats ;-) The reason I said "boring" when I first noted my goal is that whenever I've said I loved the Panama Canal and can't wait to go through the Suez, people respond that they're nothing alike (duh, I've studied the history and geology and geography ;-) and that the Suez is boring compared to Panama. So I'm glad that immediately here two people have assured me it's not boring! I have always assumed it's just a different experience - I didn't expect it to be the same. The locks on the Main-Danube canal aren't the same either, but they were very interesting to pass through!
We transited the Suez in late November and the weather was perfect. Not too hot but we live in San Antonio, Texas so pretty used to warm. We spent probably 10+ hours on the pool deck playing gin rummy and just enjoying the transit. Kind of interesting was the starboard side had views of relatively lush farm land while the port side view was mostly desolate desert. There are guard stations up and down the canal and often the guards would rush out and take selfies with our ship in the background. I also enjoyed identifying the points where certain Israeli-Egyptian battles or canal crossings took place. Our on-ship lecturer would occasionally get on the loudspeaker system and point out points of interest. It was pretty balanced and he didn’t go on and on. You can see some of the canal on our website: Egypt Cruise 2017 - The Ship
gretchendz and Hoyaheel like this.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 7:54 pm

Programs: Delta Plat & Million Miler
Mine

Yep, that's my goal. We love seeing other ships & boats. I can take my husband on vacation ANYWHERE if I tell him he can look at boats ;-) !
Mine gets excited when the port has shipping containers and/or ship graveyards...he can spend hours watching either.....at least it helps me get him on cruises.

We did have great fun in South America at some port (I forget which) watching a bunch of sea lions take over a small capsized boat. They spent hours pushing one another off before they finally sunk the darn thing.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 8:02 pm

We love seeing other ships & boats. I can take my husband on vacation ANYWHERE if I tell him he can look at boats
Your husband is in for Ship Heaven: When we transited the Suez, our ship arrived before sunrise at the entrance. We were one of many ships of all sizes and shapes that were queuing, awaiting the "starting gun" so we could begin the transit. It was really amazing to see all the ships milling about at the entrance area.
Hoyaheel and Randyk47 like this.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 8:02 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by Randyk47

We did Rome to Dubai so pretty close to the same itinerary. The main hook for us were the two stops in Egypt, Alexandria to get to Cairo and Safaga to get to Luxor, and a stop in Aqaba to get to Petra. I agree with 747FC that the slow cruise through the Suez Canal was fascinating. Having been through the Panama Canal I can now say I’ve done them both.
I just searched on Seabourne's website and it looks like they no longer have Rome-Dubai via Egypt I hope they offer it again. That one sounds even more exciting than the Athens-Dubai. I've been to Egypt before many years ago and would love to go back on a cruise but also see Petra and other sites on the way.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by Global Adventurer
I just searched on Seabourne's website and it looks like they no longer have Rome-Dubai via Egypt I hope they offer it again. That one sounds even more exciting than the Athens-Dubai. I've been to Egypt before many years ago and would love to go back on a cruise but also see Petra and other sites on the way.
Seabourn did not do Rome-Dubai (but we did have a port stop in Rome), but Silversea did.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by 747FC
Seabourn did not do Rome-Dubai (but we did have a port stop in Rome), but Silversea did.
Thank you! I'll check their site^
Old Jul 14, 2019, 5:51 am

Seabourn does Dubai-Piraeus. And the longer Singapore- Piraeus (or, Sin-Dubai). They do the inverse in the fall (Piraeus to Dubai in Oct 2019) 19 days to Dubai, 37 days to Singapore. Comes back again in March/April 2020. They do it on a couple of ships too.
Global Adventurer likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 7:08 am

I don’t think Silversea or Seabourn, or any other cruise line for that matter, do Rome or Athens to Dubai or vice versa on a repetitive basis during a season. These are usually are bookable segments of “world” cruises and typically happen in the Med shoulder months either in the early spring or early fall. In our case we were on Silversea’s Spirit in late November/early December and caught her exiting the Med to the east for what would be her partial winter season in the Indian Ocean and western Asia. Even that was a bit of a strange and one-off season as the Spirit made the reverse trip about 80-90 days later. She was coming back into the Med in basically the off season for the Med for an extensive renovation that included cutting the ship in half and adding a 50-foot section.

We did see the Celebrity Constellation at a number of our stops and she eventually was docked behind us in Dubai. Not being interested in Celebrity or any large ship line I didn’t research their itinerary so don’t know where they started, stopped, or how long was the cruise. Actually what struck me at the time was me wondering how they darkened that large ship to get through the Somali pirate zone. On our ship all external lights were turned off except those required for navigation. All the drapes were closed and the decks were basically off limits from sunset to sunrise the next day. Our ship didn’t but I know some cruise lines go as far as to hire SWAT-like security teams for transmitting the pirate zone. We might not have as just before sunset I saw an Indian Navy destroyer take up position a couple hundred yards to our starboard aft. I assume they stayed there through the night but were gone early in the morning.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 9:31 am

Maybe large ships are not vulnerable to attack as small ships and don't require the stringent safety measures?

Also, given that Seabourn at least has a couple ships doing these legs, I tend to see Med - Asia as more repositioning than legs of a World Cruise. Could be for one ship, but not both....

Now I wanna go see what other lines offer cruises through that area, if any of the mass markets are doing it. I typically see the mass markets who do Asia repo from Japan to Alaska but this isn't something I've looked at before....
Old Jul 14, 2019, 9:59 am

Maybe large ships are not vulnerable to attack as small ships and don't require the stringent safety measures?

Also, given that Seabourn at least has a couple ships doing these legs, I tend to see Med - Asia as more repositioning than legs of a World Cruise. Could be for one ship, but not both....

Now I wanna go see what other lines offer cruises through that area, if any of the mass markets are doing it. I typically see the mass markets who do Asia repo from Japan to Alaska but this isn't something I've looked at before....
I see Celebrity does have a cruise but the itinerary I saw this morning did not stop in Egypt which was a major driver for us picking the Rome to Dubai cruise. I think it stops Aqaba so at least a trip to Petra is possible.

It certainly could be the larger ships feel safer just in terms of size. The Constellation was about a day behind us so no eyes on to see if she went dark. Our captain said the captain of the Indian destroyer advised or directed we go dark. I think the Constellation has a higher top speed than the Spirit which may also be a factor. I know the Spirit took on security guards on her return trip through the pirate zone so maybe didn’t have the close by naval support. I’ve heard of other ships doing the going dark routine. One thing was we had a heck of a organized on deck “We Survived the Pirates” party the next night. A band, dancers, singers, most of the senior staff, food, and of course the alcohol flowing freely.....it is an all-inclusive line. 👍😀

I used “world” in quotes because I was lazy this morning and didn’t have the energy to research exactly what ship and cruise lines were doing the Suez. I agree some are probably doing the transit as part of a true world cruise while others it’s just a cruise as part of a seasonal repositioning.
Hoyaheel likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 2:14 pm

I see a few lines that have a Dubai- Sin or other Asia leg (I just did a quick port check for Oct-Nov 2019 - I'd have to check April dates to see who goes back and might have Egypt if I wanted that). Celebrity, Princess. Then other smaller boats (Regent, someone I can't remember now because ugh....) We just can't do April right now - it's husband's busiest period of work during the year. Could do the opposite direction though, in the fall.....

So if people are interested but not in a $$$ trip, looks like at least a couple mainstream lines do some version too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.