Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Transatlantic Crossing

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2019, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
I was booked for a Suez transit (Malta to Pot Klang, Malaysia) but the shipping line route ships direct from Savannah to Port Klang (long diversion) because fuel prices were so low in the latter half of 2015.

Originally Posted by Hoyaheel
Maybe large ships are not vulnerable to attack as small ships and don't require the stringent safety measures?....ked at before...
Really depends on how high open access points are from water level. The ones most easily hijacked are ships that sit low and go slow (such as oil tankers and bulk carriers).or cruise ships with low decks or other low entry points (such as marinas on the back of cruise ships). I noted that the stern of larger cruise ships where the sailors will throw out mooring lines- lowest open access point - are now caged in to make access there more difficult. They have to get up to main deck which is at least 30-40' above water. Large container ships are hard to hijack as the lowest entry point is still 40' above water line and can go fast too.

Now I wanna go see what other lines offer cruises through that area, if any of the mass markets are doing it. I typically see the mass markets who do Asia repo from Japan to Alaska but this isn't something I've loo
Quite a few luxury lines were doing this route this past spring: I counted at least 10 ships of which 2-3 were luxuries and premiums. May not be luxury but Ponant seems to do it eastbound in the summer. There's a Viking ship headed west in August this year and next, an Azamara in August, and a Silver Sea headed east next May..
Hoyaheel likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 11:50 am

Programs: Non-Affiliated
I just booked my first TA crossing. 06/11/2020 from BCN-NYC. I am looking forward to it! Carnival Radiance (which is the old Carnival Victory after a major overhaul). Solo in a balcony cabin. In celebration of my 40th birthday (well, I will be home in time for the actual birthday.)

The ship will be miserably full, but should still be fun.
BamaVol, wrp96 and 747FC like this.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 7:16 am
Suspended

Too afraid of water, I wish I could go as well
Old Jul 30, 2019, 7:23 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by Janae Powell
I'm afraid of water too. So much, that I'm afraid to even try to swim. Never learnt. But, as long as I can wear a life jacket the entire time (small boats), or have them readily available on a large ship I'm okay. But, I prefer to fly or take a bus or train
Old Jul 30, 2019, 7:23 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
You sound like my brother-in-law. He is so afraid of water he won’t get within three feet of our pool when he visits. No way I could get him on a cruise.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 8:15 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Janae, The good news is that as long as you refrain from entering the ship's swimming pool or bathtub, your risk of drowning on a cruise is miniscule: https://injuryprevention.bmj.com/content/21/e1/e43.full
Hoyaheel and Randyk47 like this.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 10:37 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by Randyk47

We did Rome to Dubai so pretty close to the same itinerary. The main hook for us were the two stops in Egypt, Alexandria to get to Cairo and Safaga to get to Luxor, and a stop in Aqaba to get to Petra. I agree with 747FC that the slow cruise through the Suez Canal was fascinating. Having been through the Panama Canal I can now say I’ve done them both.
I finally decided to just book a 20 night cruise from Dubai to Venice. It goes through the Suez Canal, Muscat, Petra, Athens, Dubrovnik (2nd visit), and several other coastal cities and of course Venice(2nd visit).

It's through MSC, one of the lowest ranking cruise lines .....but, I'm going for the port stops... don't much care about the reported passenger issues or rooms. But, I did book a oceanview room considering the number of days at sea. Otherwise, an interior room would have been sufficient.
Hoyaheel and Randyk47 like this.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by Global Adventurer
I finally decided to just book a 20 night cruise from Dubai to Venice. It goes through the Suez Canal, Muscat, Petra, Athens, Dubrovnik (2nd visit), and several other coastal cities and of course Venice(2nd visit).

It's through MSC, one of the lowest ranking cruise lines .....but, I'm going for the port stops... don't much care about the reported passenger issues or rooms. But, I did book a oceanview room considering the number of days at sea. Otherwise, an interior room would have been sufficient.
Great cruise! The port stops do make it well worth it. Mrs K has mild claustrophobia so no interior or even ocean view cabins for us. From cruise #1 20+ years ago we’ve always had a verandah. I share your concern about MSC though I’ve read they are doing better with their Caribbean cruises with staff, meals, entertainment, etc., better suited for the typical demographics of a Caribbean cruise. Still some mixed reviews but better than they were years ago. Maybe some of those improvements are spilling over to their other itineraries.

Hopefully flying into Dubai is better than flying out. It is huge and busy. Didn’t help that our flight was a 1:30 AM departure. We’d paid for and kept our hotel room until 10:30 PM so not totally beat but not great either. I probably wouldn’t do it again unless it was another spectacular itinerary.

Last edited by Randyk47; Aug 3, 2019 at 12:25 pm
Old Aug 3, 2019, 11:27 am

Great cruise! The port stops do make it well worth it. Mrs K has mild claustrophobia so no interior or even ocean view cabins for us. From cruise #1 20+ years ago we’ve always had a verandah. I share your concern about MSC though I’ve read they are doing better with their Caribbean cruises with staff, meals, entertainment, etc., better suited for the typical demographics of a Caribbean cruise. Still some mixed reviews but better than they were years ago. May pebble some of those improvements are spilling over to their other itineraries.

Hopefully flying into Dubai is better than flying out. It is huge and busy. Didn’t help that our flight was a 1:30 AM departure. We’d paid for and kept our hotel room until 10:30 PM so not totally beat but not great either. I probably wouldn’t do it again unless it was another spectacular itinerary.

Thank you for your input. I have another three month trip to Dubai in November. I can attest to the large volume of people in DXB. Last time I reserved a fast track service through marhaba on my departure. It surely reduced my stress level.

I am definitely looking forward to this cruise. Been wanting to go back to Venice and also to visit Petra and Muscat...a three for one
Hoyaheel likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 12:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
May pebble some of those improvements are spilling over to their other itineraries.
Your spell checker did a real number on this sentence to the point where I can't parse it at all. What is it supposed to be?
Old Aug 3, 2019, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Your spell checker did a real number on this sentence to the point where I can't parse it at all. What is it supposed to be?
I hate spell checker sometimes. I fixed it....I hope.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 6:20 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
I hate spell checker sometimes. I fixed it....I hope.
It certainly makes sense now. Thanks.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 9:41 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by Global Adventurer
Thank you for your input. I have another three month trip to Dubai in November. I can attest to the large volume of people in DXB. Last time I reserved a fast track service through marhaba on my departure. It surely reduced my stress level.
Highly recommend Marhaba Fast Track for anyone flying into DBX. They greet you at the jetway, push you through private immigration line (really no line), and help navigating baggage claim and customs.
Global Adventurer likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 8:51 am

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
As for Celebrity, be prepared for poor food offerings if you're not in their suite or Aqua/spa cabin classes with attendant exclusive restaurants.
For what it's worth, we've found Celebrity dining to be comparable to Princess and Cunard.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
For what it's worth, we've found Celebrity dining to be comparable to Princess and Cunard.
In the MDR or the suite/spa/extra cost DRs (on Celebrity and also on Cunard)? Princess MDR was a big letdown 3 years ago but the cruise was short. I could even believe Celebrity MDRs were good in the past but not when more acreage and kitchen space/staff have been carved out to create special DRs and kitchens for suite and spa class pax. My experience on the Millennium puts HAL way in the front by comparison (IMHO the single-class MDR.helps keep quality up for all).
Hoyaheel likes this.

Last edited by YVR Cockroach; Aug 4, 2019 at 9:54 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.