Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Schwab Invest Visa? 2% cash back on everything? [Discontinued card]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Schwab Invest Visa? 2% cash back on everything? [Discontinued card]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2010, 6:47 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by Mountain Trader
Calling's fine. Posting every time a CSR says there's nothing new is the issue.
I understand, but perhaps OP is trying to dispel rumors that 2% rebate may be going away by report his/her conversation with the CSR. Now whether a CSR is believable is another point, though. I supposed if enough CSRs confirm a particular issue, it may be true at least in the near term.

LAX
Old Oct 25, 2010, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by angel.x.martinez
Rumors as always never get us anywhere.

Just wait and see what happens. It may or may not be an easy transition.

So far the card seems to offer the same benefits, things can change.
I'd say it's *better* now. No need for a Schwab account. You can have your rebate ACH'd to whatever account you'd like. To me, that's a step forward.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wow - someone in my office just got a replacement card due to his old one being compromised somehow, and many, is it UGLY!

It looks like a fake card that you get with an application offer, or maybe a debit card you get through a rebate.

Even the "Signature" wording isn't on a band across the middle, it's on the bottom right.

This looks like a starter card for a college student.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 10:41 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
They can make it look like anything they want, as long as they maintain the features.

But this is B of A we're talking about .

Actually, would be nice if they put in chips so it can be used in Europe at a lot of automated venues.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Judged by the look and feel of the new card that many have reported, I am afraid that is a temporary measure until they eventually do away with it or replace it with something LESS (in terms of benefits and features). They must have something to replace the Schwab brand for security breach accounts, for accounts that may be up for renewal, etc But obviously they haven't had a final plan on what to do with this card... Not a very good omen in my opinion - the abrupt sale in Sept by Schwab shortly after reissuance of the card in May, and the apparently no communication from FIA, with such UGLY replacement card - all point to large uncertainty in the future.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by josephstern
Wow - someone in my office just got a replacement card due to his old one being compromised somehow, and many, is it UGLY!

It looks like a fake card that you get with an application offer, or maybe a debit card you get through a rebate.

Even the "Signature" wording isn't on a band across the middle, it's on the bottom right.

This looks like a starter card for a college student.
I can personally vouch for that! ... also the 'signature' being in the bottom right is a VISA design. Almost all new visa cards have the same design. I guess it is one of those lets change for the sake of changing things.... the old band was way better.
Old Oct 26, 2010, 1:28 pm

Programs: AA, CO
I haven't received the new "black ugly" card yet as I am overseas but I can confirm that the OLD Schwab Card NO LONGER WORKS overseas. This kinda sucks because now I have no credit card and am 2000 miles from home. I'm very upset with FIA they never sent me an email or tried to reach my Skype # I have listed with them.
Anybody have any advice on what I should do??
Old Oct 26, 2010, 1:47 pm

Programs: AA 4MM EXP; Starwood Lifetime Plt
Originally Posted by akbans
I haven't received the new "black ugly" card yet as I am overseas but I can confirm that the OLD Schwab Card NO LONGER WORKS overseas. This kinda sucks because now I have no credit card and am 2000 miles from home. I'm very upset with FIA they never sent me an email or tried to reach my Skype # I have listed with them.
I have the newer Schwab card, reissued with the Schwab logo and a number beginning with 4403. It is still working fine, although it no longer shows up on the Schwab site. I do not have the ugly black or black ugly, and was hoping to avoid it for a few years.

If you're in trouble, you'd have to call FIA. They will send you a new card overseas by courier, but it will take a few days.
Old Oct 26, 2010, 3:36 pm

The new cards were sent out several months ago. How long since you've received your US Mail?
Old Oct 26, 2010, 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by Mountain Trader
The new cards were sent out several months ago. How long since you've received your US Mail?
When you say "new cards," are you referring to new cards with no Schwab logos on them? the "black" ones?

I haven't received those, but I did receive another card with the Schwab logo.
Old Oct 26, 2010, 9:49 pm

Programs: AA, CO
I just got off the phone with FIA CSr ep Mike who is sending me a new card "with 2% cashback still" (his words) internationally. Very polite, and now I won't be overseas without a credit card. For all I've read about FIA/BoA I was pleasantly surprised how smooth that went.
Old Oct 29, 2010, 12:39 pm

Programs: UA Premier Exec, AA Platinum, Delta Elite, Starwood Gold
I just got off the phone with FIA CSr ep Mike who is sending me a new card "with 2% cashback still" (his words) internationally. Very polite, and now I won't be overseas without a credit card. For all I've read about FIA/BoA I was pleasantly surprised how smooth that went.
A friend of mine who got the new, ugly card told me that he somehow got a CSR to take an application for his girlfriend to open a "new account" for the "new ugly" card. Has anyone heard about this? I thought you can only get this card if you were an old Schwab holder, and that they were not taking new apps.
Old Oct 29, 2010, 1:58 pm

Programs: AA, DL, SPG, Hyatt
Thinking more about it, I doubt FIA will be getting rid of this card anytime soon, especially as long as the Fidelity card is available. FIA probably knows that if they cancel the 2%, a very large percentage of the previous Schwab 2% card holders would just go and apply for the Fidelity AMEX. Granted, the Fidelity card does have FX transaction fees, AMEX isn't as widely accepted, and the cash back isn't deposited every month. However, I think lots of people would still start applying for the FIDO card were they to cancel the benefits of the former "Schwab" card--a situation I think FIA would try to avoid.
Old Oct 29, 2010, 2:28 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
If this card were discontinued, we would definitely NOT be going to Fidelity. How can anybody make such an assumption? We have the Schwab card for several reasons, none of which would translate to Fidelity. We're long-time Schwab brokerage/banking clients, it's not an AmEx, it has no forex fees and offers a relatively generous 2% cash rebate. If FIA changes or eliminates this program, we'll just take our foreign transactions back to our no-fee CapOne (and settle for the meager mile per dollar reward). I seriously doubt BofA is all that worried about the Fidelity product.

I'm still curious why so many people received a black card, while others (like us) still received a non-black Schwab-branded card. Could be based on the nature of your Schwab banking/brokerage relationship?

I've had an Alaska Airlines Signature Visa for about 10 years, but I never fly Alaska anymore, so the annual fee is a waste. Called to get the fee waived (no way, no how), asked to convert to another BofA product as I'd hate to lose my lengthy history (no way, no how), and finally said that I'd have to cancel it. Quickly transferred to retention, immediately told they'd hate to lose me and offered a fee waiver or a conversion, whichever I'd prefer. So much for no way, no how. So, I'm waiting for my new free BofA rewards Visa. Curious to see if it will be black like the one on the FIA rewards tab, although I personally couldn't care less what any of these little pieces of plastic look like. Just want them to work and give me my benefits. This one will end up in the safe deposit box so, whatever.

FWIW, I think my entirely matte black Continental World MasterCard is attractive. I've had several vendors comment on how much really they like it. I think it's just because it's a bit of a novelty.

Last edited by aBroadAbroad; Oct 29, 2010 at 2:30 pm Reason: grammar
Old Oct 29, 2010, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rionio77
Thinking more about it, I doubt FIA will be getting rid of this card anytime soon, especially as long as the Fidelity card is available. FIA probably knows that if they cancel the 2%, a very large percentage of the previous Schwab 2% card holders would just go and apply for the Fidelity AMEX. Granted, the Fidelity card does have FX transaction fees, AMEX isn't as widely accepted, and the cash back isn't deposited every month. However, I think lots of people would still start applying for the FIDO card were they to cancel the benefits of the former "Schwab" card--a situation I think FIA would try to avoid.
Do you realize Fidelity's cards are actually serviced by FIA?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.