Community
Wiki Posts
Search

trying to make a new credit card

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2007, 1:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: KE Morning Calm, FB Gold, Hilton Dia, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Radisson VIP, Hyatt Disc
trying to make a new credit card

ok..so I'm sitting here thinking whether I should make a new credit card or not. I currently have a KE Skypass Visa Signature to keep my MorningCalm(SkyTeam elite) status, and Citi Dividend Platinum Select Visa for online purchases since I often make online purchases through its Bonus Cash center. I also have a Amex SPG card for trips to vegas or other places. The total credit limit is about forty grand including the revolving credit limit of Visa Sig. As you see, I don't have a MasterCard yet, so I was looking through no-annual fee cards with large benefits and found Saks World Elite MasterCard. But since I already have enough cards for travel services and online purchases, I'm not so sure if I should apply for this card. Most of the similar services are already offered on the Visa Sig and SPG card, but there are some benefits that stand out; complimentary business class companion ticket and PriorityPass lounge access for $24 seem quite appealing for a no-annual fee card. Now the question I want to ask is..should I make the card to increase my overall credit limit? or would you recommend some other cards? (btw here are list of cc I've used and cancelled: Amex Blue Cash, CapitalOne Plat, a BofA alumni card. I'm an undergraduate and don't have a family to support, so BC wasn't the card for me).
Old Jun 10, 2007, 8:05 pm

Hi steve i think u have build good credit because of so many credit cards you have,i recommend you to go for chase,discover or American express credit cards these cards provider have so many credit cards that suits your want. there is also no annual fee cards with large benefits for flyers. just search and pick up the right card

syed
Old Jun 10, 2007, 11:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: KE Morning Calm, FB Gold, Hilton Dia, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Radisson VIP, Hyatt Disc
Hi, syed156, thank you for your recommendation! but alas, I probably hurt my credit score earlier this year by cancelling out most of the older cards at once. My oldest credit card now is the Citi card, from 2005. But fortunately I was still approved of the SPG card last month and Saks World Elite(yesterday night after no one had answered me..). well, now I'm really concerned about my credit score and I believe I should be stuck with these cards for at least a year or two. Anyways, I had never considered of Discover because of its limited availability, but More Card surely has some great benefits without annual fees. Chase Freedom Visa could be used as a back-up card when the More items change. All these cards seem better than the Citi Dividend card putting aside its Bonus Cash center. Anyway, if I open these cards all at once now I'd be hurting my credit scores again right? or is it better in the long-term as I'll have more overall credit line? I've already cut off my credit history upto 2005 you know..
[edit] Just found out that after 10/2007 Open Road will start limiting 5% cashback to $100 gas per month.

Last edited by stevek0202; Jun 11, 2007 at 5:30 pm
Old Jun 12, 2007, 9:10 pm

Programs: CO Plat - AW Plat - AA Gold - SPG Plat - HH Gold - HY Gold - WBR - Alpha Phi Omega - GO CANES!
Don't bother with the Discover. Nobody takes it. And even if they do, the card just isn't any good. The discover plat won't back a warranty, the cash to point ratios are not favorable, and it's not worth the tack in your credit.

Mastercard isn't a bad idea - I forget which store it was but one of the huge warehouse clubs only took mastercard. But that's the only time I ever saw something like that.
Old Jun 12, 2007, 10:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by suitcasejockey
Don't bother with the Discover. Nobody takes it. And even if they do, the card just isn't any good. The discover plat won't back a warranty, the cash to point ratios are not favorable, and it's not worth the tack in your credit.

Mastercard isn't a bad idea - I forget which store it was but one of the huge warehouse clubs only took mastercard. But that's the only time I ever saw something like that.
Thank you for your advice. I guess I won't be needing a Discover then.
I know Costco and Neiman Marcus (retail store) only take Amex cards but I never knew a warehouse club only took a MC, and that's a good enough reason for me to make a MC. I really don't like fattening my wallet by carrying cash(bulky, doesn't look good ) .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.