How Much Do You Churn?

Old Aug 18, 2007, 3:44 pm

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat, Merrill+, Citi AMEX Chairman
Originally Posted by robertw477
Does the churning still work? Does it work for AA cards or others as well. Basically you close the card after you get the bonuses and apply for another online? I probably would not do this every month but never thought I could have more than one AA card (I have the AA gold card). Trying to get another 200K AA miles ASAP so I can get to 2 million lifetime for lifetime Plat.

Thanks
Rob
Then churn away. Get a Citi Business AA Platinum MC and Citi Business AA Platinum Visa. Open another Citi personal AA Platinum World MC and the Citi AA Select AMEX. That would give you 80k miles almost immediately. If you make use of the 20,000 bonus options on each card you could get another 80,000 points by the end of your second year for a total of 160,000.

If you apply...only do 2 personal cards within 60 days. I am not sure about the business cards.
Old Aug 19, 2007, 1:12 am

Programs: AAdvantage Plat., WorldPerks, HH Gold, SPG Gold
I was under the impression that you can only apply once in 60 days. Guess i stand corrected...
Old Aug 19, 2007, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by awake
If you apply...only do 2 personal cards within 60 days. I am not sure about the business cards.

The CitiBusiness cards allow one application every 90 days.
Old Aug 19, 2007, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by lifeonitsown
I was under the impression that you can only apply once in 60 days. Guess i stand corrected...
That is now correct. You can NOT apply for two different M/C's within the same 60 days. As I previously mentioned, I had a World Card and applied for a Gold card, but receieved the 60 day letter in the mail. Previously, this was not the case. I was however, able to apply for their AmEx AA card within 60 days of the last World M/C.
Old Aug 19, 2007, 8:33 pm

Programs: Amex Gold, Bonvoy Gold, HH Diamond,
After reading these posts, I take it that I can maybe churn some? I pulled all 3 of my credit scores...the lowest of the 3 is still above 750. I have no debt on my credit report and don't carry a large balance on my cards if any at all. I rent and have no car payment.

I did notice when I applied for the SPG Amex, my scores dropped some...the worst was about an 11 point drop I guess. I then applied for a 2nd Priority Club Visa to get bonus points, and I am about to upgrade my Amex Gold to Platinum.

Will all this activity crash my scores? I don't plan on buying a house or new car soon, so I'm not worried about the excessive accounts. I hold 8 cards now...all VS, MC, and AMEX--no store cards.
Old Aug 20, 2007, 4:00 am
Original Member

Programs: AAMM & PLT; UA Gold, DL Silver, Marriott LT Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz #1 Gold Club
Originally Posted by drbond
What is the best deal available on the AA MC right now? Please post a link. I want to try some churning and see how much damage it causes.

FWIW the AA Amex gives you 30k in the first year after spending minimums and an additional 10k in the second year after spending minimum.
Old Aug 20, 2007, 11:42 am

Programs: SPG Plat (3.2MM LT), Hilton Gold, AA LT Plat (3.2MM), Hertz 5*, US Mint MVP
My wife and I each have 3 AACiiti cards, for a total of 6 in our household. Tried to get anouther card each and we were both denied due to the fact we reached "The maximum allowed by Citi" for this card. Sent in 6 individual letters requesting hte accounts be closed so we can do it again, and again and again. I thought we only had 2 out each, but I was wrong. Dont try to cancel over the phone as they make it nearly impossible to do. Last time I was really forceful and the guy offered my $50 credit to my account. I took the deal and sent in a letter to cancel as he said I didnt have to wait to cancel after he gave me the $50!.

Jim
Old Mar 19, 2009, 3:16 pm

Programs: AA,DL,BA,UA,SPG, and any other free trip!
Originally Posted by Dudemon
The 25k US along with the 15k by Juniper.
Where is this Juniper bonus you speak of? I would love to earn an extra 15K bonus points on my Alaska acct....
Old Mar 19, 2009, 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by mrx900
Where is this Juniper bonus you speak of? I would love to earn an extra 15K bonus points on my Alaska acct....
That comment was made Oct 15, 06, 2:18 pm. As this point that comment is just under 2.5 years old.

Can we delete this thread?
Old Mar 20, 2009, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by mrx900
Juniper, now Barclays, has cards that earn bonus miles with US Airways. B of A has cards that earn Alaska miles. See Alaska's website.

See a list of most cr. card offers at this site: http://www.freefrequentflyermiles.com/index.htm Click on "credit cards".
Old Mar 27, 2009, 10:02 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Jetblue Mosaic (past)
How do you avoid the annoying $79 annual fee with the US Airways personal and biz cards? Also what is the max rate you can apply for them? E.g. Citi is personal cards every 60 days. What is the equivalent for Juniper/Barclays?

Thanks!

Originally Posted by philemer
Juniper, now Barclays, has cards that earn bonus miles with US Airways. B of A has cards that earn Alaska miles. See Alaska's website.

See a list of most cr. card offers at this site: http://www.freefrequentflyermiles.com/index.htm Click on "credit cards".

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.